Elecraft K3s with P3 and Steppir SDA100

craigt@...

I am looking for some guidance using the Elecraft K3s with P3 and Steppir SDA100.  What cables needed and what settings are needed on both the K3s and SDA100 to get the Steppir BigIR to automatically switch bands?  if you have a wiring diagram that would be great also.

Thank you for our help in advance

Craig WØLV

Randy Farmer W8FN

I used a SteppIR with the SDA100 controller for several years. I used PstRotatorAz set to track my logging programs (DX4WIN for general logging and N1MM+ for contesting). I purchased a two-port Gearmo USB to RS232 converter and used one port to drive the SDA100. You connect the RS232 interface to the SDA100 DATA IN port. It worked very well. PstRotatorAz is an excellent program that will do lots of things besides control rotators, and it's well worth the small one-time registration cost.

73...
Randy, W8FN

On 10/4/2020 8:29 PM, craigt@... wrote:
I am looking for some guidance using the Elecraft K3s with P3 and Steppir SDA100.  What cables needed and what settings are needed on both the K3s and SDA100 to get the Steppir BigIR to automatically switch bands?  if you have a wiring diagram that would be great also.

Thank you for our help in advance

Craig WØLV

craigt@...

Edited

Randy

Thanks.

It is my understanding that with a couple of cables, the K3/P3 will communicate with the SDA100 with no extra software.  I an not sure of the wiring (how to go from the K3s through the P3) to the SDA100 with a couple of setting changes on the K3 and the SDA100?

I have the SDA100 set to Kenwood 4800/4800 also

Craig

AE7AP

Craig:
I have a sketch of how mine is hooked up, but I don't see how to attach it, so I will send it to you separately.  It is, generally as follows:

K3s-RJ-45 from Elecraft CBLP3Y
P3-XCVR DB-9(M) :  DB-9(F) from CBLP3Y
P3-PC DB-9(F):  DB-9(M) from SteppIR Y-Cable
SDA100-Data in/Radio DB-9(M):  DB-9(F) from SteppIR Y-Cable
Elecraft CBLP3Y-DB-9(M):  DB-9(F) from SteppIR Y-Cable

I have to have software (DXLab, N1MM, etc.) running in order for the SDA100 Autotrack to work.  In DXLab Commander, I have the "Interrogation" box clicked and a 250 ms scan interval & a "1" in the Scan Dwell box.  I don't know that these settings matter, but it works well.

73,
Rob - AE7AP

Henk PA0C

The software is only used to invoke CAT info from the K3.
With no software and AUTO Inf activated in the Conf menu the same is achieved: each change of the K3 is forwarded on RS 232.
Works fine with my K3/Steppir combination.
73 Henk

I have a sketch of how mine is hooked up, but I don't see how to attach it, so I will send it to you separately.  It is, generally as follows:

K3s-RJ-45 from Elecraft CBLP3Y
P3-XCVR DB-9(M) :  DB-9(F) from CBLP3Y
P3-PC DB-9(F):  DB-9(M) from SteppIR Y-Cable
SDA100-Data in/Radio DB-9(M):  DB-9(F) from SteppIR Y-Cable
Elecraft CBLP3Y-DB-9(M):  DB-9(F) from SteppIR Y-Cable

I have to have software (DXLab, N1MM, etc.) running in order for the SDA100 Autotrack to work.  In DXLab Commander, I have the "Interrogation" box clicked and a 250 ms scan interval & a "1" in the Scan Dwell box.  I don't know that these settings matter, but it works well.

73,
Rob - AE7AP

Randy Farmer W8FN

It is possible to rig a cable to the SDA100 DATA IN port that will simply monitor frequency via traffic on the RS232 bus if you have installed the optional transceiver interface module, but this is a one-way (receive only) path that won't let you control any aspect of the SteppIR. It will only allow the controller to follow the radio's frequency (and I'm not sure if the SteppIR interface is smart enough to read transmit frequency -- which could be important if you do much split frequency work). The interface cable can tee off the RS232 connection at the P3 PC port. It connects only the RS232 TXD line (pin 2) and ground (pin 5). A good way to deal with this connection would be a N6TV Serial Box. I've attached a copy of the SteppIR drawing for the Y cable for this link. The SDA100 MUST be configured for the same baud rate as the radio for this connection to work. PstRotatorAz will allow full control of the SteppIR via the DATA OUT port, but you must provide an RS232 port and connect it to the SDA100 using a null modem cable (pins 2 and 3 interchanged at one end).

73...
Randy, W8FN

[Edited Message Follows]