Topics

USB Issue K3S

Everett N4CY

Just recently was unable to find any Ports listen in the K3 Utility for my K3S I checked to make sure it was set to Configure-RS232-USB. I also tried another USB cable to the computer and also switched ports, but still no joy. I also reinstall the drivers from the Elecraft website . Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everett N4CY

Anthony Luscre

Make sure menu  CONFIG:RS232 is set to USB

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 12:18 PM Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just recently was unable to find any Ports listen in the K3 Utility for my K3S I checked to make sure it was set to Configure-RS232-USB. I also tried another USB cable to the computer and also switched ports, but still no joy. I also reinstall the drivers from the Elecraft website . Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everett N4CY

--
Anthony Luscre

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com

Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry

Everett N4CY

Hi Anthony,

Thanks, that was one of the first things I checked. 

Everett N4CY

On Sep 20, 2020, at 11:24 AM, Anthony Luscre <k8zt73@...> wrote:

Make sure menu  CONFIG:RS232 is set to USB

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 12:18 PM Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Everett N4CY

--
Anthony Luscre

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com

Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry

Ed Pflueger

Everett have you looked at the com ports on your PC’s Device Manager?  You can simply unplug the K3S either from the PC or the rig and one of the com ports will disappear (You Hope) and then plug it back in to see what new port shows up.  Window’s (I am assuming you are using) on some upgrades has been known to change Com ports around.  I hope this is all it is.  HI..

Ed.. AB4IQ 

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Everett N4CY via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:19 AM
To: elecraft-k3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] USB Issue K3S

Everett N4CY

Kelly Breed

If you have managed to get Prolific usb to serial drivers installed that may be your problem. If you using a cable from Elecraft I’m pretty sure it uses an FTDI chip. I went through this and finally got the Prolific driver un-installed and everything started working.

Kelly
AJ6KZ

On Sep 20, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp@...> wrote:

Everett N4CY

Ken Barnett

I too had a problem when I reconnected a USB cable to my K3s. I found or so it seems the length of the USB cable is a problem. When I connected a 1.25 meter cable, the PC would see the K3s but would only RX with no TX, when fitting a 1.5 meter cable, it could not find the K3s at all. But when I tried a 600mm cable, BINGO, all’s well, PC found my K3s TX & RX. So I assume the shorter the cable the better, I am not a techy whizz kid so you tell me why 900mm of cable makes such a big difference? But it seems it does. Maybe my friend Andrew G8BYB might pick up on this thread as he may know more than me.

Ken G0HOF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 20 September 2020 20:22
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] USB Issue K3S

If you have managed to get Prolific usb to serial drivers installed that may be your problem. If you using a cable from Elecraft I’m pretty sure it uses an FTDI chip. I went through this and finally got the Prolific driver un-installed and everything started working.

Kelly

AJ6KZ

On Sep 20, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp@...> wrote:

Everett N4CY

Alan Baker

It's possible that it's not just cable length, it could just be movement of the cable and proximity to 'something' else.

I've had intermittent issues with USB disappearing and I know for sure that at least twice it happened just after I reached over the back of the K3S to check a different connector.
My 'cure' so far has been to unplug the USB connector on the back of the rig and re-plug it, whilst watching the Device Manager display on the PC it's connected to. I have an extension lead on the USB cable and unplugging it there and re-plugging has no effect. Re-booting the PC has no effect. Of course it could be that something is not quite 'seated' in the K3S, but as all other I/O works 100% reliably, I have my doubts. As I have a mess of cables behind the K3S, I suspect some form of mutual coupling, which gets disturbed when I reach over. I guess I should try some ferrites.

I'm taking chances by writing this, as it's not happened for some time, so I better watch out when I next switch on. :-D

Alan. G4GNX

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 20/09/2020 22:50:20

I too had a problem when I reconnected a USB cable to my K3s. I found or so it seems the length of the USB cable is a problem. When I connected a 1.25 meter cable, the PC would see the K3s but would only RX with no TX, when fitting a 1.5 meter cable, it could not find the K3s at all. But when I tried a 600mm cable, BINGO, all’s well, PC found my K3s TX & RX. So I assume the shorter the cable the better, I am not a techy whizz kid so you tell me why 900mm of cable makes such a big difference? But it seems it does. Maybe my friend Andrew G8BYB might pick up on this thread as he may know more than me.

Ken G0HOF

Clay Autery

Sounds like its a USB port getting close to wearing out...  USB A-B is a lot less robust than USB C ports...  IMHO

On 09/21/20 07:23, Alan Baker wrote:

It's possible that it's not just cable length, it could just be movement of the cable and proximity to 'something' else.

I've had intermittent issues with USB disappearing and I know for sure that at least twice it happened just after I reached over the back of the K3S to check a different connector.
My 'cure' so far has been to unplug the USB connector on the back of the rig and re-plug it, whilst watching the Device Manager display on the PC it's connected to. I have an extension lead on the USB cable and unplugging it there and re-plugging has no effect. Re-booting the PC has no effect. Of course it could be that something is not quite 'seated' in the K3S, but as all other I/O works 100% reliably, I have my doubts. As I have a mess of cables behind the K3S, I suspect some form of mutual coupling, which gets disturbed when I reach over. I guess I should try some ferrites.

I'm taking chances by writing this, as it's not happened for some time, so I better watch out when I next switch on. :-D

Alan. G4GNX

Ken G0HOF

Lyn Norstad

Or more likely, an issue with RF entering the USB circuit thru the cable. 

I have experimented with many USB cables over the years, and the only one I have found to consistently be trouble free is the Tripp-Lite (1 foot or 6 foot) cable with built in ferrite beads at both ends.  (Available on Amazon for less than $10.).

Lyn, W0LEN

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Clay Autery
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:29 AM

Sounds like its a USB port getting close to wearing out...  USB A-B is a lot less robust than USB C ports...  IMHO

Alan. G4GNX

Ken G0HOF

Alan Baker

In my case, unlikely to be RF getting in, as it happens when in RX mode.

Thanks for the tip about the USB cables from Tripp-Lite. Hopefully available in the UK. :-)

Alan. G4GNX

Sent: 21/09/2020 15:33:05

I have experimented with many USB cables over the years, and the only one I have found to consistently be trouble free is the Tripp-Lite (1 foot or 6 foot) cable with built in ferrite beads at both ends.  (Available on Amazon for less than $10.).

Lyn, W0LEN

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Clay Autery

Alan. G4GNX

Ken G0HOF

Clay Autery

Yep....  even a shielded USB cable will act up....  Often because the shield is not continuous or not terminated properly (or at all).
Thus, you need suppression from the ferrites molded on the cable OR get wire longer than you need and figure out which torroid and # turns you need to quiet it all down.

On 09/21/20 09:33, Lyn Norstad wrote:

Lyn, W0LEN

Alan. G4GNX

Ken G0HOF

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Edited

The molded in ferrite beads are nice, but they are small and focused on VHF range emissions.  Always assume that you will need a few turns around a type 31 toroid.

Drew K3PA

Art Greenberg

It might be a bad cable. I recently had an interesting experience with a USB connected machine that started exhibiting strange behavior. I never suspected the cable. But after trying a lot of other "fixes" to no avail, I finally gave in and changed the cable. And the machine started working normally.

--
Art Greenberg
WA2LLN
art@...

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020, at 08:23, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan. G4GNX

Ken G0HOF

radio@ebillsharp.com

Tnx Lyn, 

Bill
w8hi

On Sep 21, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Alan Baker <g4gnx@...> wrote:

In my case, unlikely to be RF getting in, as it happens when in RX mode.

Thanks for the tip about the USB cables from Tripp-Lite. Hopefully available in the UK. :-)

Alan. G4GNX

Sent: 21/09/2020 15:33:05

Lyn, W0LEN

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Clay Autery
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:29 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] USB Issue K3S

Alan. G4GNX

Ken G0HOF

Robert W5AJ

The message in Windows control panel -> Device manager

if you see the message

http://pages.suddenlink.net/w5aj/Prolific.jpg

telling you this is not Prolific, then you’ve got counterfeit adapter and loaded later version of driver (which Win10 will do automatically)

The counterfeit can be saved by loading older driver, however the best path is get on Amazon and order one with FTDI chip

However a K3S (another forum) uses USB link to the rig, not RS232

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61VOzIYiR6L._SL1500_.jpg

Your USB cable must have plug similar to that in link

As you plug and unplug it, you’ll see COM port and audio board added into Device manager

do you have K3S set to USB (instead of RS232) in config menu?

73 W5AJ

Robert

Midland, Texas

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Kelly Breed
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:22 PM

Kelly

AJ6KZ

Everett N4CY