Topics

USB Issue K3S

Everett N4CY

Just recently was unable to find any Ports listen in the K3 Utility for my K3S I checked to make sure it was set to Configure-RS232-USB. I also tried another USB cable to the computer and also switched ports, but still no joy. I also reinstall the drivers from the Elecraft website . Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everett N4CY

Anthony Luscre

Make sure menu  CONFIG:RS232 is set to USB

--
Anthony Luscre

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com

Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry

Everett N4CY

Hi Anthony,

Thanks, that was one of the first things I checked.

Everett N4CY

On Sep 20, 2020, at 11:24 AM, Anthony Luscre <k8zt73@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed Pflueger

Everett have you looked at the com ports on your PC’s Device Manager?  You can simply unplug the K3S either from the PC or the rig and one of the com ports will disappear (You Hope) and then plug it back in to see what new port shows up.  Window’s (I am assuming you are using) on some upgrades has been known to change Com ports around.  I hope this is all it is.  HI..

Ed.. AB4IQ

Just recently was unable to find any Ports listen in the K3 Utility for my K3S I checked to make sure it was set to Configure-RS232-USB. I also tried another USB cable to the computer and also switched ports, but still no joy. I also reinstall the drivers from the Elecraft website . Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everett N4CY

Kelly Breed

If you have managed to get Prolific usb to serial drivers installed that may be your problem. If you using a cable from Elecraft I’m pretty sure it uses an FTDI chip. I went through this and finally got the Prolific driver un-installed and everything started working.

Kelly
AJ6KZ

On Sep 20, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp@...> wrote:

Just recently was unable to find any Ports listen in the K3 Utility for my K3S I checked to make sure it was set to Configure-RS232-USB. I also tried another USB cable to the computer and also switched ports, but still no joy. I also reinstall the drivers from the Elecraft website . Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everett N4CY

Ken Barnett

I too had a problem when I reconnected a USB cable to my K3s. I found or so it seems the length of the USB cable is a problem. When I connected a 1.25 meter cable, the PC would see the K3s but would only RX with no TX, when fitting a 1.5 meter cable, it could not find the K3s at all. But when I tried a 600mm cable, BINGO, all’s well, PC found my K3s TX & RX. So I assume the shorter the cable the better, I am not a techy whizz kid so you tell me why 900mm of cable makes such a big difference? But it seems it does. Maybe my friend Andrew G8BYB might pick up on this thread as he may know more than me.

Ken G0HOF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you have managed to get Prolific usb to serial drivers installed that may be your problem. If you using a cable from Elecraft I’m pretty sure it uses an FTDI chip. I went through this and finally got the Prolific driver un-installed and everything started working.

Kelly

AJ6KZ

On Sep 20, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp@...> wrote:

Just recently was unable to find any Ports listen in the K3 Utility for my K3S I checked to make sure it was set to Configure-RS232-USB. I also tried another USB cable to the computer and also switched ports, but still no joy. I also reinstall the drivers from the Elecraft website . Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Everett N4CY

Alan Baker

It's possible that it's not just cable length, it could just be movement of the cable and proximity to 'something' else.

I've had intermittent issues with USB disappearing and I know for sure that at least twice it happened just after I reached over the back of the K3S to check a different connector.
My 'cure' so far has been to unplug the USB connector on the back of the rig and re-plug it, whilst watching the Device Manager display on the PC it's connected to. I have an extension lead on the USB cable and unplugging it there and re-plugging has no effect. Re-booting the PC has no effect. Of course it could be that something is not quite 'seated' in the K3S, but as all other I/O works 100% reliably, I have my doubts. As I have a mess of cables behind the K3S, I suspect some form of mutual coupling, which gets disturbed when I reach over. I guess I should try some ferrites.

I'm taking chances by writing this, as it's not happened for some time, so I better watch out when I next switch on. :-D

73,

Alan. G4GNX

I too had a problem when I reconnected a USB cable to my K3s. I found or so it seems the length of the USB cable is a problem. When I connected a 1.25 meter cable, the PC would see the K3s but would only RX with no TX, when fitting a 1.5 meter cable, it could not find the K3s at all. But when I tried a 600mm cable, BINGO, all’s well, PC found my K3s TX & RX. So I assume the shorter the cable the better, I am not a techy whizz kid so you tell me why 900mm of cable makes such a big difference? But it seems it does. Maybe my friend Andrew G8BYB might pick up on this thread as he may know more than me.

Ken G0HOF

Clay Autery

Sounds like its a USB port getting close to wearing out...  USB A-B is a lot less robust than USB C ports...  IMHO

Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389