minimum distance for shelf above K3

todd ruby

Hello All
Can anyone tell me what would be the minimum safe distance the K3 could operate below a shelf in order to have sufficient ventilation?

tnx
todd
WB2ZAB

Ray Maxfield

Hi Todd.

I think that would Mostly depend on the Air Circulation in the room.

If the Shelf is Closed in the back or not.  

Lots of Factors to consider. 

Ray WA6VAB   K3

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 1:01 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] minimum distance for shelf above K3

Hello All
Can anyone tell me what would be the minimum safe distance the K3 could operate below a shelf in order to have sufficient ventilation?

tnx
todd
WB2ZAB

Mel Farrer, K6KBE <farrermesa@...>

I do not think there is an absolute answer to your question. Depends on too many installation issues, like max room temperature, added heat from other equipment, etc.  With the internal fan and spacing around it, I would put a thermometer on top of the K3 and see how much temp rise you get over room temperature.  That does not help much in planning a new install.  The word is Adequate ventilation.  As an example, my laptop sits on the desk and gets pretty warm so I made a slated plate with a flat fan to help get rid of the heat.  Just leave room all around for possible added help on getting rid of the heat build up.

Mel, K6KBE

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 1:01 PM todd ruby <todd@...> wrote:
Hello All

tnx
todd
WB2ZAB

Christopher Scibelli

I don't know the answer, however, it's something I'm curious about as well because I had shelving built for my equipment and I gave no thought to the amount of space above my Alpha 8410's vents.  

Congratulations on asking a really good question!

Chris  NU1O

-----Original Message-----
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] minimum distance for shelf above K3

Hello All

tnx
todd
WB2ZAB

The hottest part of the K3 is the right side panel. So keep that free and ventilated.
Output of the PA-fan is on the backside. Keep that one free also.

The top does not get very warm, there is an air inlet for the PA there, 1cm or half 0.5 inch is enough.

In times of hot summer weather I have the K3 fans running on startup, lowest level, simple menu setting.

Arie PA3A

Op 14-8-2020 om 22:01 schreef todd ruby:

Hello All

tnx
todd
WB2ZAB

Bob Hammond G4DBW

Hi Todd,
I have a shelf  10 inches above my K3 in my desk layout, and the K3 is located in a desk space 15 inches wide. The rear of the shelf has a 3 inch spacing from the wall for cable access and ventilation. As mentioned important to keep the right hand side of the K3 clear  as that is the "hot " side.  

hoep that helps

Bob G4DBW

todd ruby

Thanks for all the responses. here are some specs: ambient temp is 70ºF, circulation is excellent. the back of the monitor platform under which the K3 sits is totally open. I thinking of lowering the monitor platform ¾" which will leave about ½" open space above PA. Is it possible to post a photo which may help?

thanks

todd
WB2ZAB 

Steve VE3RX

The KAT500 tuner is designed to be on top of the K3, and there is not a lot of clearance between those two. So, overall clearance on top of the K3 does not seem to be too critical, as long as you have some air passing over it. This assumes, probably, and open desk K3/KAT500 setup, not enclosed in a small enclave with limited air movement. I've been running that way for some time, but the K3 is only running about 20-25W with the KPA500 beside it.
Just an open shelf, I'd say you can go within 1" or less

Steve VE3RX

Jim N7US

Have you considered using swing arm mounts for your monitors?  They provide more flexibility in positioning them with no shelf to restrict air flow.

Jim N7US

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 9:08 AM todd ruby <todd@...> wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. here are some specs: ambient temp is 70ºF, circulation is excellent. the back of the monitor platform under which the K3 sits is totally open. I thinking of lowering the monitor platform ¾" which will leave about ½" open space above PA. Is it possible to post a photo which may help?

thanks

todd
WB2ZAB 
_._,_._,_
_

todd ruby

Hi Jim
my monitor weighs 24 lbs, a desk mounted "bridge" shelf is really a great option. I just want to lower the shelf to make the viewing just a little better. it is not a problem now, but a little tweak will make viewing more ergonomic.

tnx fer ur response]

todd
WB2ZAB

todd ruby

Hi Jim
my monitor weighs 24 lbs, a desk mounted "bridge" shelf is really a great option. I just want to lower the shelf to make the viewing just a little better. it is not a problem now, but a little tweak will make viewing more ergonomic.

tnx fer ur response]

todd
WB2ZAB

todd ruby

Hi Bob
I have 1 ¾" of space on the left side of the K3. Would you suggest more open space on the left? it is no problem to move the radio to give more room on the right side.
tnx
todd

WB2ZAB