Topics

K3s not communicating with computer

Bob Wilson, N6TV

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 9:46 AM Henry Jarzyna <va3ov@...> wrote:
For the first time after acquiring the previously owned K3s I connected the radio via the USB to the computer. The P3 is also connected via CBLP3Y to the radio. Baud is set at 38400.

If CONFIG:RS232 is set to 38400 instead of to USB, especially when using the CBLP3Y, you won't be able to connect to the K3 over the K3 USB connector.

Set CONFIG:R232 to USB, find the virtual serial port in the Windows Device Manager, and use that.

73,
Bob, N6TV

Allan Zadiraka

I have been experiencing problems with my K3S communicating  with the rig control and logging software. It was taking a half hour or more of stopping and restarting the different programs, powering the radio on and off, and rebooting the computer to get everything working.  Testing showed the K3 Utility program would not connect just like the other software.  Finally noticed the P3 panadapter front panel buttons were not working properly. I normally control the P3 through the WIN4K3 rig control software.   Found the P3 Utility program would communicate properly but the K3 Utility would not.  Opened up the P3 and unplugged the ribbon cable and boards that had header interconnects.  After reassembling and reconnecting the P3, everything worked properly.  Been several days now and am keeping my fingers crossed.

zeke (AL)
Allan Zadiraka

AB8OU
4110 State Rd   Coventry Township, OH 44319    Work:  234-738-4578    Cell:     330.760.4569    Home:  330.644.1839

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:40 PM Max NG7M <ng7m@...> wrote:
The switch on the KIO3B board is used to force a firmware update in the event you only have a USB connection to your computer... this is documented in the manual for the KIO3B on page 9. (the docs on forcing the firmware download can be found on page 13)

You can use the USB serial interface and the RS232 RJ45 jack at the same time by the way... the CAT data on the RJ45 port is read only when you are using the USB Serial interface for the normal CAT read write operations.  This is very handy to use the RJ45 serial output for some other device that is only interested in tracking the auto-inf CAT data output... i.e. a SteppIR controller etc... or any device that works with a read only feed of the Elecraft/Kenwood CAT data output protocol.  It all depends on the device you are feeding the data to of course as to if it will work, YMMV.  I use the RJ45 output and the adapter to split the CAT read only output to a couple of SteppIR controllers.  It works great. And in this case you will probably want to enable the config setting for Auto-INF to on, so the RJ45 data output starts by default when you power on your K3.

What you can't do is enable the full backwards compatibility mode on the RJ45 for CAT read/write and use the USB serial port at the same time... if you do this, you lose the USB serial port CAT feed all together.  This switches your KIO3B back to how the CAT interface worked before the KIO3B was introduced.

Max NG7M

Max NG7M

[...]

Colin Smithers

When having problems communicating with a K3S over serial I eventually solved it but not above 9600. At one point I was told about a physical switch by Elecraft’s Don W3FPR. It is not completely clear what this switch does however:

If you do not achieve connection, try one more thing.  Remove the top cover of the K3S and on the KIO3B board sitting vertically in the left rear corner,, you will find a switch marked "USB RS232" - move it to the RS232 position and retry.  That is not normally necessary, but I include it for completeness.”

73, Colin G4CWH