Topics

K3s USB Codec unplugging itself

Joe, KO8V

I occasionally hear my windows system play the USB disconnect/connect sound when nothing has been plugged in or removed.  Using USBDeview, I found it seems the K3s Audio Codec disconnecting and reconnecting at some random times.  I know the codec is powered and visible to the computer when the radio is off.  I was wondering if there was something in the K3s that will recycle the codec on a random basis or for some other reason. It even happens in the middle of the night when I'm asleep.
Joe, KO8V

ve3ki

By default, Windows is set to power down USB ports to save power after a certain time of "inactivity". Inactivity is NOT measured by whether the USB port itself is being used; Windows simply looks for recent mouse and keyboard activity, and if there hasn't been any, it shuts off the USB power regardless of what the USB ports are being used for. For instructions on how to disable this default Windows behaviour, see <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown>. Like many other WIndows settings, after a major Windows update you might need to revisit these settings to enusre that Windows hasn't restored them to defaults.

73,
Rich VE3KI