Topics

Factory service still available?

Ray Maxfield

Don’t forget about the Higher Taxes !  WA6VAB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:04 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Factory service still available?

You and Elon Musk.

-----Original Message-----
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, May 12, 2020 10:22 am

I'd be thinking seriously of moving my company (if I owned one) OUT of California not just because of the virus but because of a number of troubling trends in California.  A viable alternative could be Nevada, Texas, Florida and even Arizona, IMHO.  

Dale j.

Christopher Scibelli

You and Elon Musk.

-----Original Message-----
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, May 12, 2020 10:22 am

I'd be thinking seriously of moving my company (if I owned one) OUT of California not just because of the virus but because of a number of troubling trends in California.  A viable alternative could be Nevada, Texas, Florida and even Arizona, IMHO.  

Dale j.

John Canfield

Yes, there was thread drift in the thread I started. One of the issues with groups.io is its format - it's not like a traditional forum where moderation is easier and threads are displayed under one heading. I moderate two traditional forums and when a thread gets too far off topic I can move the non relevant responses to new or existing topic. At least groups.io is better than the brain dead yahoo groups.

If there was a traditional forum dedicated to Elecraft, I would be there and not here.

John WB5THT
K3S, P3, SP3, KPA1500

Michael Mickelson

Thanks Drew.  It makes it more efficient to know if it is a post of interest.  I appreciate the very useful information provided by members of this group.  
73, Mike KD8DZ

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 2:24 PM Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA <drew@...> wrote:
The name of the thread is "Factory service still available?"  How many of the messages addressed this point?

Please - use good thread manners and keep things on topic.  Lots of people read these things and this reflector has a fairly poor signal to noise ratio.

&3,
Drew K3PA

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

The name of the thread is "Factory service still available?"  How many of the messages addressed this point?

Please - use good thread manners and keep things on topic.  Lots of people read these things and this reflector has a fairly poor signal to noise ratio.

&3,
Drew K3PA

mikerodgerske5gbc

Wherever your from, you should proud of it. I was lucky enough to be born in Texas. 

Some might say unlucky. I could never leave although I'd like a cooler less humid climate. 

I'm sure there are a few in California feel the same. 

Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome 

On May 12, 2020, at 9:22 AM, southdaleus via groups.io <dalej2@...> wrote:

Dale j.

southdaleus

Dale j.

Mike Heideman

Elecraft's latest post on Shelter-in-Place answers the question in the thread subject.

Elecraft is accepting Repair Service Requests for K3/K3s, KPA1500 and KPA500.

-Mike, N7MH

_._,_._,_

Ray Maxfield

With the Leadership in California, Its any bodys Guess !

WA6VAB   

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 11:54 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

According to the Santa Cruz, CA county web page https://www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/ShelterinPlaceFAQ.aspx , where Elecraft is located - "How Long does the new Order last ?  - This Order does not have an end date. However, the Health Officer expects to revisit the Order periodically, as warranted, to make adjustments. It could be awhile before anyone can get their equipment serviced.

Jeff

Jeff Clarke

According to the Santa Cruz, CA county web page https://www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/ShelterinPlaceFAQ.aspx , where Elecraft is located - "How Long does the new Order last ?  - This Order does not have an end date. However, the Health Officer expects to revisit the Order periodically, as warranted, to make adjustments. It could be awhile before anyone can get their equipment serviced.

Jeff

Jeff Clarke

According to their web page NO.  https://elecraft.com/pages/a-message-from-eric-wayne They are still working from home and not doing any service. I would imagine when they eventually open back up there will be a big backlog of service orders. I blew the finals in my KPA500 a little more than a month ago. Since I didn't want to be without an amplifier (don't have a backup) for a long time I ended up buying an Acom 1000, which is a great little amplifier. When I can get the KPA500 repaired I will probably just keep it as my backup amplifier.

Jeff

John Canfield

Roger on the copper strap, that's why I used it at the tower (8' of two inch wide strap in the hole before concrete pour) and from my entrance panel to my central point of bond/ground in the shack.

John WB5THT

Clay Autery

Lightning events happen in a VERY short time period... 

As I understand it, the conductors that you are using in your lightning protection system to BOND all the chassis together and thence to your entrance panel, and thence to your grounding system (rods, horizontal connectors, et al) need to be LOW INDUCTANCE.

IF I still grasp what Jim, et al. have been trying to teach us about lightning protection vs. RFI prevention....

The GOAL is to keep our stations at the same ground potential as where we want the lightning energy to GO....  Because the lightning event IS going to enter your shack if the event occurs close enough to ANYTHING connected to it.
Thus, the GOAL is to keep the energy from the lightning event on the grounding conductors and on the outside of the devices (chassis) long enough for the energy to seek a "safe"er path to ground....

Inductance and resistance....  BOTH need to be minimal in the path to earth ground so that the lightning event can pass through the system without creating too high of a ground potential difference anywhere and arcing/jumping from a "safe" place to a "dangerous"/damaging place.

Resistance can be reduced by shortening a conductor or merely making it BIGGER....  This reduces the "resistance" to change in voltage in the event...
INDUCTANCE opposes the increase in CURRENT through the conductor....  And as I understand it, inductance is reduced in a conductor by INCREASING the surface area of a conductor....  and the most reasonable way of doing THAT is by using wide, thinner conductors like straps....  typically COPPER straps as copper is the best compromise between lower cost and higher conductivity.

Thus, in summary.... the conductors you are using to bond everything together would IDEALLY be the widest copper strap you can route from place to place....  Strap/sheet copper is notoriously hard to route around corners, et al.... and this is ACTUALLY a good thing, because lightning does NOT like to turn corners....  The strap/sheet should be routed as close to a straight path as possible.... Where you MUST make direction changes, they should be as gradual as possible...  AND IF you must make a 90 degree change indirection over a short radius, you should consider engineering to do so with additional methods of reducing inductance in other ways. (soldering/brazing folds, et al).

I know this isn't totally correct and complete, but I think it's pretty close.

On 05/10/20 09:46, KE1F Lou wrote:

How would you measure that impedance? Between which two points?
Lou KE1F

On 5/10/2020 9:19 AM, john ni0k wrote:
John,

Have you measured the impedance of your ground connection? If the impedance isn't very low all the surge suppressors won't help you. Telcos and cell sites will do this and add to the ground system until it gets below 20 ohms. In some cases much lower than this.

-de John NIØK

John Canfield wrote on 5/10/2020 8:08 AM:
I faithfully followed the grounding and bonding recommendations in the ARRL book. My entrance panel is by KF7P, every conductor (even the SteppIR 16 conductor control cable) that enters the shack is surge suppressed - both at the tower base and the shack entrance. The copper plate in the box is bonded to a ground rod which goes to another ground rod a few feet away and then on to the main AC load center ground rod and then up to the ground buss in that box. In the KF7P entrance box, a copper strap goes to a common ground buss in the shack. Every piece of equipment in the shack is connected directly to the common ground buss via braided wire.

My tower is 165' feet from the shack so there was no reason to bond the tower to the entrance panel. All coax is in one 3" conduit and all other wiring is in another 3" conduit.

I've put a lot of research and effort (and $$$) into lightning mitigation and I'm very happy with the results so far. We've taken some very close lightning strikes in the last few months.

Thanks to all for your tips and recommendations es 73 de John WB5THT

Michael Mickelson

All, am I being a bit fussy in suggesting that the header reflect the topic under discussion?.  It has been Factory Service...for some time...Mike KD8DZ

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 9:09 AM John Canfield <bucket@...> wrote:
I faithfully followed the grounding and bonding recommendations in the ARRL book. My entrance panel is by KF7P, every conductor (even the SteppIR 16 conductor control cable) that enters the shack is surge suppressed - both at the tower base and the shack entrance. The copper plate in the box is bonded to a ground rod which goes to another ground rod a few feet away and then on to the main AC load center ground rod and then up to the ground buss in that box. In the KF7P entrance box, a copper strap goes to a common ground buss in the shack. Every piece of equipment in the shack is connected directly to the common ground buss via braided wire.

My tower is 165' feet from the shack so there was no reason to bond the tower to the entrance panel. All coax is in one 3" conduit and all other wiring is in another 3" conduit.

I've put a lot of research and effort (and $$$) into lightning mitigation and I'm very happy with the results so far. We've taken some very close lightning strikes in the last few months.

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus
Denison University
740-587-0687 H
740-644-1238 M

john ni0k

Lou KE1F

John,

Have you measured the impedance of your ground connection? If the impedance isn't very low all the surge suppressors won't help you. Telcos and cell sites will do this and add to the ground system until it gets below 20 ohms. In some cases much lower than this.

-de John NIØK

KE1F Lou

Lou KE1F

John,

-de John NIØK

john ni0k

John,

-de John NIØK

John Canfield

John Canfield

Thanks for the head's up Keith! It's great to know you guys are still doing repairs away from the office. My PC's Ethernet goes to a managed switch at the radio desk (which is fine.) My Internet main router is in a different building - I have several outbuildings on the ranch that are networked together with Ubiquiti products. (Our Internet provider uses wireless, no cable or DSL out here.)

When we have storms forecasted I ground the Alpha Delta antenna switch that feeds my K3S but the only foolproof way to protect equipment is to completely isolate it as you recommended. Pulling all the cables from the K3 would be a big deal but....

You guys returned the bad IO board and after a brief inspection I found the burned components, My bench is equipped to work on surface mount components so I might make an attempt to repair and keep for a spare.

Keith_WE6R

Most K3 lightning repairs (that I have worked on here Elecraft) had the high voltage come in the Comm port from the computer. 
I would assume from the DSL line, or Cable coax and modem and the miles of their wire (antennae). 
So please disconnect that for sure!!
A lot less common is for it to come in on the Antenna (maybe because folks disconnect that?) or on the Ground or even the DC. 
We see most in the months of May thru October.
Please disconnect!! K3 parts are going to be less available and I hate to have to "total" a radio (very rare).
Keith WE6R
Elecraft K3 Tech.
PS, been working on K3s all thru the shelter at home, I believe you just have to use UPS to ship to us.