Topics

Factory service still available?

John Canfield

My K3s has just started an intermittent problem, it will transmit fine for WSJT-X for one exchange and then no RF for the next one (the K3s does go to transmit mode.)

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

Thanks, John WB5THT

Mike Flowers

Hi John,

Just as a test, the next time this happens click “Tune” on WSJT-X and see if you get tones and RF out.

I’ve had this happen and it’s not my K, it’s the WSJT-X software.

My K3s has just started an intermittent problem, it will transmit fine for WSJT-X for one exchange and then no RF for the next one (the K3s does go to transmit mode.)

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

Thanks, John WB5THT

Mike Flowers

Hi John,

Just as a test, the next time this happens click “Tune” on WSJT-X and see if you get tones and RF out.

I’ve had this happen and it’s not my K3, it’s the WSJT-X software or some other factor.

My K3s has just started an intermittent problem, it will transmit fine for WSJT-X for one exchange and then no RF for the next one (the K3s does go to transmit mode.)

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

Thanks, John WB5THT

bill steffey NY9H

I have thst issue   where ther wsjt  and or sound card stops sending audio  ( thus no rf out) ..

rebooting the wsjt and or havuing to reboot comnputer has it going again.   Just in case I added 31 ferrites to the sound card usb line... (maybe rf got in there)

probably not the k3

On 5/3/2020 9:42 AM, John Canfield wrote:

My K3s has just started an intermittent problem, it will transmit fine for WSJT-X for one exchange and then no RF for the next one (the K3s does go to transmit mode.)

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

Thanks, John WB5THT

Avast logo

Rick NK7I

You'll find that the audio won't be sent though the transmit is enabled with WSJT-X.

There is a logging issue (it says it's logging but doesn't), that's happened a few times now (the DX writes me and it's in the WSJT-X log).

There are times that it will send once, then disable the transmit.  Re-enabling it may work, may not, restart the software.

It's not a Elecraft issue but is WSJT-X.

I look forward to the next version, as I have other gripes about how WSJT-X works, but don't feel qualified to make changes and compile it.

Rick NK7I

On 5/3/2020 7:44 AM, bill steffey NY9H wrote:

I have thst issue   where ther wsjt  and or sound card stops sending audio  ( thus no rf out) ..

rebooting the wsjt and or havuing to reboot comnputer has it going again.   Just in case I added 31 ferrites to the sound card usb line... (maybe rf got in there)

probably not the k3

On 5/3/2020 9:42 AM, John Canfield wrote:

My K3s has just started an intermittent problem, it will transmit fine for WSJT-X for one exchange and then no RF for the next one (the K3s does go to transmit mode.)

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

Thanks, John WB5THT

Avast logo

Carl Moreschi

I have the same issue with no transmit audio. This occurs after my screen power setting turns off my display. Upon turning the display back on, no transmit audio is sent.

Once this happens, I can restart WSJT to fix it. Or change the TX sound card to a wrong value and then change it back to the correct value. Interesting once I fix it this way, further screen power being turned off does not cause the problem.

This has to be a WSJT bug.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
127 River Moss Way
Hertford, NC 27944
www.n4py.com

On 5/3/2020 10:44 AM, bill steffey NY9H wrote:
I have thst issue where ther wsjt and or sound card stops sending
audio ( thus no rf out) ..

rebooting the wsjt and or havuing to reboot comnputer has it going
again. Just in case I added 31 ferrites to the sound card usb line...
(maybe rf got in there)

probably not the k3

On 5/3/2020 9:42 AM, John Canfield wrote:

My K3s has just started an intermittent problem, it will transmit fine
for WSJT-X for one exchange and then no RF for the next one (the K3s
does go to transmit mode.)

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is
Elecraft doing repairs?

Thanks, John WB5THT

Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Edward McCann

But, to the original question, is Elecraft accepting its manufactured equipment for update and/or repair?

Ed McCann
AG6CX

On May 3, 2020, at 6:42 AM, John Canfield <bucket@...> wrote:

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

Ed Pflueger

I heard NO. But really need to hear from the Elecraft folks to be sure.

Ed.. AB4IQ

But, to the original question, is Elecraft accepting its manufactured
equipment for update and/or repair?

Ed McCann
AG6CX
On May 3, 2020, at 6:42 AM, John Canfield <bucket@...> wrote:

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is
Elecraft doing repairs?

David Ferrington, M0XDF

Yes, perhaps not right now
73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
--
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from
him. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

On 3 May 2020, at 16:51, Edward McCann <Ag6cx1@...> wrote:

But, to the original question, is Elecraft accepting its manufactured equipment for update and/or repair?

Ed McCann
AG6CX
On May 3, 2020, at 6:42 AM, John Canfield <bucket@...> wrote:

Anticipating it probably needs to take another trip to California, is Elecraft doing repairs?

John Canfield

I was guessing they are probably not accepting stuff for repair but I wanted to find out for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions about WSJT-X being the root cause of the no transmit problem, I have indeed run into some odd operational quirks with the software. I was also having a very intermittent issue where I assume WSJT-X wasn't commanding the radio to go back to receive. Thinking about the situation, I can easily isolate the problem to the radio or PC.

73 de John WB5THT

robert hammond

John,
This could very likely be an RFI problem, with RF getting into the PTT circuit. I had a similar problem.
Try reducing the rf output to A very low value say 1 watt, and see if everything runs reliably as it should.  Does it occur on all bands ? Had  problems here on top band , and only after messing around fitting ferrite toroidal did wsjt-x work reliably.
So much depends on how much rf is floating around in your shack.

Good luck

Bob G4DBW

John Canfield

Thank you Bob for the ideas. I just put the K3s into Tune and sure enough I was seeing the usual 20 watts (what I usually use with the amplifier) out on my station monitor so there's not an RF problem with the radio. Yesterday I rebooted the adjunct PC with no change. I haven't checked all bands - I usually operate on 20 and 40m so I need to do a thorough evaluation.

I'll have to look in the parts box for some toroids.

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

I had that intermittent TX problem with my K3. I had to power cycle the K3 to reset it to again TX. After a few email exchanges with Elecraft I think these recommended settings fixed it:
TX INH setting - Suggest set to OFF.
PTT setting - suggest OFF_OFF.
   73
     Bob   KD8CGH

John Canfield

I'll check those settings, thanks for the tip Bob.

John WB5THT
K3S, P3, SP3, KPA1500

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

On more than one occasion, and not limited to all bands, but perhaps only one or two bands, I have found RF is getting into the computer via the USB cable between the radio and computer.  Using one of the snap-on ferrite cores used for RG-8 where I can get 2 or 3 turns of the cable through the snap-on core resolved the issue.  The core is best located at the computer end of the cable.

Also, one might do well to nvestigate instances of Common Mode Current on feed lines coming into the operating position.

John Canfield

Think I have narrowed the problem down to W10 doing something with the sound card. I looked at the device properties and then all seems normal now.  At this point I'm ruling out RFI or at least that's on the back burner for now.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas, I appreciate the advice.

John wb5tht

Mel Marcus

the problem I had with the soundcard after a w10 upgrade was that it changed it from stereo to surround sound. I could hear it slightly but since it was looking for a center speaker, it was muffled. see if that is the case and change it back to stereo

Mel
NE9A

Think I have narrowed the problem down to W10 doing something with the sound card. I looked at the device properties and then all seems normal now.  At this point I'm ruling out RFI or at least that's on the back burner for now.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas, I appreciate the advice.

John wb5tht

Ray Maxfield

I hate Win 10………… wa6vab

the problem I had with the soundcard after a w10 upgrade was that it changed it from stereo to surround sound. I could hear it slightly but since it was looking for a center speaker, it was muffled. see if that is the case and change it back to stereo

Mel

NE9A

Think I have narrowed the problem down to W10 doing something with the sound card. I looked at the device properties and then all seems normal now.  At this point I'm ruling out RFI or at least that's on the back burner for now.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas, I appreciate the advice.

John wb5tht

John Canfield

You can make Win10 more user friendly by installing Classic Shell (free) which replaces the standard menu, which I intensely hate. Classic Shell brings the familiar W7 menu back.

radio@ebillsharp.com

Thanks Mel.

Sherm
w8hi