Topics

K3 KIO3B Line In problem - no audio into K3

Edward Seeliger KD5M

Good morning all.
I have a K3 upgraded with the KIO3B and other enhancements that I want to use with a microHam device for digital modes (WSJTX, JTDX, MMTTY).

I have spent the last week or more online with Elecraft Technical Support without resolution of the problem so perhaps someone here can point me to a solution.

The title is the short version.

I want to use the microHam device, not the built in USB KIO3B sound card for digital modes.
The K3 is in Data A mode and LINE IN / LINE OUT is selected as the input / output audio sources.
I have verified that with the K3 in USB mode, the K3 KIO3B USB sound card works for LINE IN and LINE OUT and the KIO3B digital part works for CAT and PTT.
With K3 set for RS232 (38400 baud) and connected to the microHam device via a microHam cable, CAT and PTT work and LINE OUT from the K3 to the microHam device works. I have verified that there is audio from the microHam device to the K3 (I swapped the microHam cable and also listened with headphones at the Line In plug on the microHam cable from the device). But there is no ALC indication and no RF from the K3 with K3 Line Level turned all the way up and output from the microHam device turned all the way up.
As a further test, I replaced the entire KIO3B board set with a new board set with no change in behavior - no ALC indication or RF out.

Does any one have any ideas how to resolve this?
Thanks for your time and any help.
Edd - KD5M

ve3ki

A couple of things to check:

In DATA A mode, MAIN:MIC SEL must be set to LINE IN. Once this has been done, the K3's MIC control controls the LINE IN level. It must be set to a vlaue other than 0 (LINE 0 will result in no audio).

If there is anything plugged into the Line In jack on the KIO3B, the USB audio codec in the KIO3B is disabled.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Edward Seeliger KD5M wrote:
[...]

Thanks RIch.
DATA A mode MAIN.MIC SEL is set to LINE IN and the MIC control shows Line In and is turned all the way up - no ALCĀ  or RF indications.
Plugging something into the Line In jack disconnects USB audio, not Analog Audio (RS232) which is what I want to use.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Edd - KD5M

Joe Subich, W4TV

Edd,

Check L10, L11 on the audio jack PC board. If either of them
opens you will not get any audio from the "Line In" jack.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-05-01 2:07 PM, Edward Seeliger KD5M wrote:
Thanks RIch.
DATA A mode MAIN.MIC SEL is set to LINE IN and the MIC control shows Line In and is turned all the way up - no ALCĀ  or RF indications.
Plugging something into the Line In jack disconnects USB audio, not Analog Audio (RS232) which is what I want to use.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Edd - KD5M

Edward Seeliger KD5M

Thanks Joe.
I had already noted that and assumed since I installed a new KIO3B board set that they should be okay.
But, to verify, I pulled the Audio Board and verified that L10 and L11 show continuity and also that I have continuity from the top of C7 through L11 to the top of C20 and from the top of C6 through L10 to the top of C19.
I also verified the same continuity on the old KIO3B Audio Board that I had removed.
The Analog LINE IN lines and the USB LINE IN lines converge at U15 on the KIO3B main board - since USB LINE IN works but Analog LINE IN does not there is not much circuitry that could be at fault.
I still think there is an incorrect configuration setting but thus far have not found it.
I am still looking for other suggestions to resolve this problem.
Edd - KD5M

Perhaps the moderator can now take me off of moderation for my posts to the group??

Joe Subich, W4TV

Edd,

I still think there is an incorrect configuration setting but thus
far have not found it.
Do you get audio from the K3's internal CODEC with a plug fully
inserted in the Line In jack?

Inserting a plug in the Line In jack should force U15 to switch
audio sources going from the KIO3B board set to the motherboard
and then to the front panel board. If you still have CODEC audio
with a plug connected at Line In, I would look at the choke in
the jack switch line (don't have the schematic in front of me
this morning) and/or other connections for the switch signal.

The other possibility - is there something in the KIO3 menu that
differentiates between the KIO3 and KIO3B that could be set to
KIO3? I never saw any reason to update either of my rigs to
the KIO3B (no different than adding a microHAM USB Interface III
with less capability) so can't check that one out.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-05-01 8:37 PM, Edward Seeliger KD5M wrote:
Thanks Joe.
[...]

Michael Pupeza

I have found that the ground sleeves of each plug MUST be actually common grounded. The socket sleeves of the Line In and Line Out are not common ground and have circuitry used, I guess, to minimize RF interference. Ensure that each line, In, Out, PTT has the coax sleeve connected.
That was my problem one time.
Mike VE3EQP .....>

Edward Seeliger KD5M

Good morning Joe.
Yes, there is a setting for the K3 to recognize the KIO3B in the menu and it is set to normal - KIO3B recognized.
Yes, if I plug the LINE IN plug from the microHam device into the LINE IN jack, the USB audio In is removed/disabled as it should be.
Thanks for your suggestions.
VE3KI also suggested that if the LINE IN gain is set too high, the K3 will not accept LINE IN - with the LINE IN gain (MIC control) set at 7-12, no ALC indication or RF out.

Still no LINE IN from the analog jack and no ALC indication or RF out from the K3.
Any other suggestions??
Edd - KD5M

Joe Subich, W4TV

Yes, there is a setting for the K3 to recognize the KIO3B in the menu
and it is set to normal - KIO3B recognized.
I was questioning whether the K3 was seeing the KIO3B and not selecting
the Line IN but that's probably not the case.

73,

... Joe, W4TV