WTB carry case

john ni0k

Hey group,

I'm thinking of doing a vacation-style DXpedition and I'm looking for a good case big enough to carry a K3, mic, small switching power supply and etc. It needs to be tough enough for airline baggage travel.

Anything kicking around? Pics would be great...

-de John NI0K

Carl Denbow

John: I highly recommend the personalized bags made by Rose N7HKW.  You can find out more about them here:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-mX9LCZ/

73,

Carl
N8VZ

On Apr 20, 2020, at 12:25 PM, john ni0k <jasimmons@...> wrote:

Hey group,

I'm thinking of doing a vacation-style DXpedition and I'm looking for a good case big enough to carry a K3, mic, small switching power supply and etc. It needs to be tough enough for airline baggage travel.

Anything kicking around? Pics would be great...

-de John NI0K

David Ferrington, M0XDF

Couldn’t recommend Rose’s work highly enough. She’s made me a cover for my K3 and Hexkey (in fact that’s mine, 2nd row down in middle) and a Carry-case for the K3. very well made, very sturdy, very nice.
73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
--
Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. -Cicero, statesman, orator, writer (106-43 BC)

On 20 Apr 2020, at 17:42, Carl Denbow via groups.io <denbow44@...> wrote:

John: I highly recommend the personalized bags made by Rose N7HKW.  You can find out more about them here:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-mX9LCZ/

73,

Carl
N8VZ

On Apr 20, 2020, at 12:25 PM, john ni0k <jasimmons@...> wrote:

Hey group,

I'm thinking of doing a vacation-style DXpedition and I'm looking for a good case big enough to carry a K3, mic, small switching power supply and etc. It needs to be tough enough for airline baggage travel.

Anything kicking around? Pics would be great...

-de John NI0K

Dan Abell

While nice looking,  these are soft cases and I would not think they are appropriate for checked baggage!
Dan W3dka

On Apr 20, 2020, at 11:48, David Ferrington, M0XDF <M0XDF@...> wrote:

[...]

I am looking to purchase a used hard case. I appreciate all the suggestions, though.

-NI0K

Dan Abell wrote on 4/20/2020 4:56 PM:

[...]

RON - WA2EIO

For shipping protection, a hard case would mean a Pelican or similar case.

On 4/20/2020 5:58 PM, john ni0k wrote:
[...]

w9wam1@...

Check Harbor freight they have several hard cases of different sizes.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 5:38 PM RON - WA2EIO <wa2eio@...> wrote:

[...]

B Anderson

I found a military case on eBay I am happy with
It was about $30 plus shipping

It is not quite as sturdy as a Pelikan case but close enough.
It should survive most things the airlines would throw at it (pun intended)

It fits the K3, P3, and a Scarlet Solo plus mic, cables, etc.
I modified the foam liner of the case to fit the K3 and P3.
The interior is still a work in progress.

It has 4 clasps (one on each side and two on the front)
It does not have tabs on each half for locking but a little creativity might fix that

23" x 21.5" x 6.5"  (W x L x H)
approximate exterior dimensions
I will try to figure out the part # for the case

Bryce
K6TI

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 3:38 PM RON - WA2EIO <wa2eio@...> wrote:

[...]

K 6 TI

AJ3O

John,

If you can't find used, DX Engineering sells the Nanuk brand. Very similar to Pelican at a fraction of the price. I use one for my surveying data collector and it has protected it from some VERY embarrassing episodes out in the field. For the quality they are extremely reasonably priced compared to others. Many sizes and good padding.

Just a suggestion.

73,

Joe /AJ3O

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 08:14:52 PM EDT, B Anderson <bryce2001@...> wrote:

[...]

True, would not use for checked luggage, just carry-on. John, didn’t explicitly say ‘check-in’,.
Pelican case for check-in.

73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
--
The lame man who keeps the right road outstrips the runner who takes a wrong one. The more active and swift the latter is, the further he will go astray.
-Francis Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)

On 20 Apr 2020, at 22:56, Dan Abell <dkabell@...> wrote:

[...]

VE9AA - Mike

Ditto.  Good for carry-on.  I have one for my K3 as well.  Actually, Gary, VE1RGB (sk) had it made and I bought the K3 and bag from his estate.
Top Quality.  I've been using it the past few years as a travel-only rig and bag looks new.

Mike VE9AA

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 01:42 PM, Carl Denbow wrote:
John: I highly recommend the personalized bags made by Rose N7HKW.  You can find out more about them here:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-mX9LCZ/

73,

Carl
N8VZ