Topics

Txco

Robert W5AJ

With K3
Old or new style synthesizer

I have frequency measurements better than 1hz in FMTs

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020, 9:55 AM robert hammond via groups.io <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
A few years ago I bought 2  cheap TCXO's for an FT857, from 2 allegedly different ebay suppliers  in China  Both looked identical on arrival. One worked fine, one was junk - drifted continually. So maybe you should have bought 2 ?

Nowadays, I wouldn't even consider something I knew was made in China when an OEM product is available. Worth paying the extra $  IMO. 

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Wes

I don't see you listed in any recent FMT results, so I wonder about your technique(s).  Mine, which don't include a K3, made it into the top tier in the last FMT.  I was 0.03 Hz high on 80 and 0.01 Hz low on 40.

Wes  N7WS

On 4/8/2020 8:25 AM, Robert W5AJ wrote:
With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020, 9:55 AM robert hammond via groups.io <bobatbay=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
A few years ago I bought 2  cheap TCXO's for an FT857, from 2 allegedly different ebay suppliers  in China  Both looked identical on arrival. One worked fine, one was junk - drifted continually. So maybe you should have bought 2 ?

Nowadays, I wouldn't even consider something I knew was made in China when an OEM product is available. Worth paying the extra $  IMO. 

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Christopher Scibelli

That is really great but is there a genuine need to be that accurate, or is it mainly for bragging rights?

Chris  NU1O

-----Original Message-----
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 8, 2020 7:58 pm
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Txco

I don't see you listed in any recent FMT results, so I wonder about your technique(s).  Mine, which don't include a K3, made it into the top tier in the last FMT.  I was 0.03 Hz high on 80 and 0.01 Hz low on 40.

Wes  N7WS

With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Ray Maxfield

Hi … If you Go up to 6 Meters and are looking for Weak signals, you will want it.

WA6VAB -K3  #3824

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:55 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

That is really great but is there a genuine need to be that accurate, or is it mainly for bragging rights?

Chris  NU1O

Wes  N7WS

With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Christopher Scibelli

Thanks for the answer.  I am an HF DXer.  I don't even have an antenna for 6 meters.  I use my 10 Element tribander on 12/17/30 with a Palstar AT-5K.  No antenna for 160 because of a relatively small suburban lot.  

Chris  NU1O

To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Apr 9, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi … If you Go up to 6 Meters and are looking for Weak signals, you will want it.

WA6VAB -K3  #3824

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:55 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

Chris  NU1O

Wes  N7WS

With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Wes Stewart

Sure, if you are doing microwave weak signal work where you multiply up to 100X.

Wes  N7WS

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 8:55:26 AM MST, Christopher Scibelli via groups.io <nu1oscar@...> wrote:

Chris  NU1O

Wes  N7WS

With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Christopher Scibelli

What did you do to get that high precision of accuracy?  Very impressive.

Also, when is the next FMT?  I'm swamped with email.

Chris  NU1O

Sent: Wed, Apr 8, 2020 11:54 am
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] Txco

With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

stay safe

Bob G4DBW

Robert W5AJ

Mainly did FMT to see what could be done with K3 with human operator reading waterfall screen....
it works & I'm happy about that (that is pretty good key in this hobby, if you ain't happy ah?  change!

maybe some bragging rights in there but the FMT is a NON-ARRL event, no awards to post up on the wall

73 W5AJ

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Christopher Scibelli via groups.io <nu1oscar=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Chris  NU1O

Wes  N7WS

With K3

No txco used.....

73 W5AJ

stay safe

Bob G4DBW