From: Barry Baines via groups.io <bbaines@...>
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Apr 2, 2020 9:48 pm
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Panadapter Software for the K3s

Bob:

On Apr 2, 2020, at 10:16 AM, redarlington <rdarlington@...> wrote:

I'm one of those guys that had the LPPan 2.   And it was terrible (sorry Larry, your other products are great!).  It did the job, not very well, and required additional sound device hardware to plug into and was annoying to get going or move around.   The $100 SDRPlay does the same job without the $150 sound box, without all the cables (just one USB, and one to the IF out).   And I've since bought the P3 because it always works and does most of what I want.  I do keep the SDRPlay attached and ready to go for additional functionality with software like NaP3, Win4k3Suite, etc.     I dumped my LPPan II, sound card, and all cables for something like $150 and I've been much happier ever since.

That and they don't make them anymore (or haven't since October).

I’d appreciate your thoughts on using SDRPlay devices as well as the P3.  As noted in an earlier post, I’ve been using a P3 since 2015 when I run into issues with LP-PAN2 .

1. I’m presuming that you’re connecting the K3 IF out to the IF input of the P3, switching on IF out on the P3, and then connecting a second cable between the P3 and the SDRPlay device.  Any issues with splitting the IF output from the K3 between the P3 and SDR Play at the same time?  Are there any signal level issues using two devices at the same time (perhaps the P3 provides a boosts to the output IF)?

2.  What software are you running for a Panadapter in conjunction with SDRPlay?  I’m familiar with SDRuno (I have several SDRduo devices), so is it necessary to run different software to replace SDRuno to get the panadapter capabiility? I have no familiarity with N1MM or similar software so my initial preference is running a dedicated Panadapter software package that can support the SDRduo device (even if only one tuner is recognized by the software). I do see on the SDRPlay website a software package called “Spectrum Analyser v1.04B" released in October 2019.  Anyone tried out this package?

I’m encouraged that running a SDR device will in fact allow me to remotely connect to the PC in the shack to view the Panadapter display when I operate remotely.   While I have used SDR devices for the past 15 months for other purposes, it never dawned on me the potential of using one for a Panadapter for the K3!  (Duh).

Of course, with the current ’shelter in place’ restrictions I have no idea when I’ll be able to get back to my remote site to connect the SDR gear I do have to the P3 and PC.

Thanks,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Keller, TX)
(Folkston, GA)

-Bob N3XKB

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 6:27 AM wb6bee <wb6bee@...> wrote:
I have the P3 and LPPan with Nap3.    I find NaP3 significantly more user friendly and versatile than the P3.    If you want to get DX in a pile up within a few calls, NaP3 is the way to go.  My P3 is relegated to providing signal reports.    If you don't own a P3, the LPPan is a cheaper way to go, NaP3 is freeware.    Win4K3 also has a really nice spectrum scope, also cheaper than the P3.

Don
WB6BEE

redarlington

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 7:48 PM Barry Baines via groups.io <bbaines=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
<snipped out my reply>

I’d appreciate your thoughts on using SDRPlay devices as well as the P3.  As noted in an earlier post, I’ve been using a P3 since 2015 when I run into issues with LP-PAN2 .

1. I’m presuming that you’re connecting the K3 IF out to the IF input of the P3, switching on IF out on the P3, and then connecting a second cable between the P3 and the SDRPlay device.  Any issues with splitting the IF output from the K3 between the P3 and SDR Play at the same time?  Are there any signal level issues using two devices at the same time (perhaps the P3 provides a boosts to the output IF)?

That's how it's connected.  The P3 has a switch to terminate the unused output if it's unused, or you can turn that off when you go out to the sdrplay.   It's a tiny little switch on the back of the unit near the BNC ports.

2.  What software are you running for a Panadapter in conjunction with SDRPlay?  I’m familiar with SDRuno (I have several SDRduo devices), so is it necessary to run different software to replace SDRuno to get the panadapter capabiility? I have no familiarity with N1MM or similar software so my initial preference is running a dedicated Panadapter software package that can support the SDRduo device (even if only one tuner is recognized by the software). I do see on the SDRPlay website a software package called “Spectrum Analyser v1.04B" released in October 2019.  Anyone tried out this package?

The only software I use these days with it is Win4k3Suite.   All of the others that work with the sdrplay will work with it though.   The beauty of this little box is it's not tied to just the IF output frequency on the rig.  You can attach an antenna and it's another radio receiver.  I just have it setup for dedicated panadapter use.  The spectrum analyzer package works fine.

I’m encouraged that running a SDR device will in fact allow me to remotely connect to the PC in the shack to view the Panadapter display when I operate remotely.   While I have used SDR devices for the past 15 months for other purposes, it never dawned on me the potential of using one for a Panadapter for the K3!  (Duh).

I don't know.  Maybe this will work.  I haven't ever tried to use remote desktop software while trying to observe more than static displays on the remote side (as in, no video or no panadapter to be more specific).   It might work fine.  It might not.

Of course, with the current ’shelter in place’ restrictions I have no idea when I’ll be able to get back to my remote site to connect the SDR gear I do have to the P3 and PC.

Best of luck through all this mess.     73   -Bob N3XKB

Thanks,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Keller, TX)
(Folkston, GA)

-Bob N3XKB

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 6:27 AM wb6bee <wb6bee@...> wrote:
I have the P3 and LPPan with Nap3.    I find NaP3 significantly more user friendly and versatile than the P3.    If you want to get DX in a pile up within a few calls, NaP3 is the way to go.  My P3 is relegated to providing signal reports.    If you don't own a P3, the LPPan is a cheaper way to go, NaP3 is freeware.    Win4K3 also has a really nice spectrum scope, also cheaper than the P3.

Don
WB6BEE

Barry Baines

[...]

Wes Stewart

I've used an SDR-IQ with SpectraVue software for years with my K3 and K3S.  I "connect" multiple logging programs, RTTY and WSJT with LPBridge. (I know the 'IQ is discontinued but they show up from time-to-time.  I have three of them)

I find SpectraVue to be most like the hardware spectrum analyzers I used for years in my career. I've tried most of the other SDR programs, both with the SDR-IQ and other hardware. I dislike all of them.

Wes  N7WS

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 6:56:43 AM MST, AJ3O via groups.io <joe_aj3o@...> wrote:

Before tearing down the shack and moving to a new to me QTH, I was using a RFspace SDR-IQ and HDSDR software.

Plugged the SDR-IQ into the back of the K3s for IQ and no separate antenna.

Pretty much close to the full band for most and using this in conjunction with VSPE I could turn the dial and HDSDR and N1MM would follow or click in HDSDR - or- N1MM and the others would follow. Very easy to see a spike, click it, put out your call.....

Still waiting to setup the new shack.

73,
Joe / AJ3O

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 12:42:57 PM EDT, John Moore <n5rk@...> wrote:

I would like to have a panadapter for my K3s.   I have a large screen Mac running Catalina and an older DuoCore 64 bit PC with Win10.  I prefer the Mac because of the large screen.  I am looking for a program that is simple to install. I am not a computer wizard.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank You.

73's
John N5RK

redarlington

[...]

AJ3O

[...]

n7wy

Barry -
I followed the link to N8LP's web site where it states LP-PAN production ceased just before Halloween 2019.
His focus now is on his station monitor and power meters.
SDRplay RSPx with N2IC's waterfall band map ($150 or less) has been my solution for almost 2 years.
I run it on a second 32 inch monitor with N1MM on the primary monitor.
Bob R - N7WY

wb6bee

I have the P3 and LPPan with Nap3.    I find NaP3 significantly more user friendly and versatile than the P3.    If you want to get DX in a pile up within a few calls, NaP3 is the way to go.  My P3 is relegated to providing signal reports.    If you don't own a P3, the LPPan is a cheaper way to go, NaP3 is freeware.    Win4K3 also has a really nice spectrum scope, also cheaper than the P3.

Don
WB6BEE

Clay Autery

One day, I will have a a fully independent panadapter, but until then, my fully decked-out P3 is awesome....  more than I need really.  But when was is ever about "need".  <grin>

73,

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389
On 03/31/20 10:09, Ted Bauer wrote:

FYI and YMMV: A friend of mine recently ordered a P3 and they are on back order. He was
not provided any information about when P3s would again be shipping. This is all due to the
COVID-19 outbreak.
The P3 is very easy to use and makes a world of difference operating.
73
---
Ted   WA3AER

--
---
Ted   WA3AER

Ray Maxfield

Ok, how much are you asking ?   de WA6VAB  ray

I've been using LP-Pan for years with no problems.

BTW  - I have a Softrock with K3 IF available if anyone wants it.

    Bob KD8CGH

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

I've been using LP-Pan for years with no problems.

BTW  - I have a Softrock with K3 IF available if anyone wants it.

    Bob KD8CGH

Ted Bauer

FYI and YMMV: A friend of mine recently ordered a P3 and they are on back order. He was
not provided any information about when P3s would again be shipping. This is all due to the
COVID-19 outbreak.
The P3 is very easy to use and makes a world of difference operating.
73
---
Ted   WA3AER

--
---
Ted   WA3AER

Ware Master

Try SDR-Radio.com

It does not support the LP-Pan device but it does support sdrplay devices beautifully.

On Mar 31, 2020 10:36 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

I started with a SDR PLay receiver or SDR-1a, connected to the K3S IF
output.   I used the free HDSDR software on the computer. It works well
although a bit of a challenge to setup and get working.   I'm using a
Window 10 Pro 64 bit operating system. Then decided on the P3.   Super
nice stand-a-lone system.  It does everything I need and more and frees
up the computer for other applications.   The SDR Play is now in the
extra radio parts drawer.

I started with a SDR PLay receiver or SDR-1a, connected to the K3S IF output.   I used the free HDSDR software on the computer. It works well although a bit of a challenge to setup and get working.   I'm using a Window 10 Pro 64 bit operating system. Then decided on the P3.   Super nice stand-a-lone system.  It does everything I need and more and frees up the computer for other applications.   The SDR Play is now in the extra radio parts drawer.

Hello John,

I am using a softrock IF-lite for the K3 ($20 or so), my pc soundcard and for software (your question) : NAP3.

NAP3 does an excellent job as panadapter display and looks wonderful, mouseclicking works for main and sub rx so no need for anything else.
All com-ports necessary are connected via LP-bridge. (much to read about this on N8LP's website)
I can run N1MM, CW-skimmer, NAP3 and MMTTY simultaniously. No matter what I do, all programs and my K3 follow.
Working with this set-up for a log time, don't know how many years already.

73

Arie PA3A

Op 30-3-2020 om 18:42 schreef John Moore:

I would like to have a panadapter for my K3s.   I have a large screen Mac running Catalina and an older DuoCore 64 bit PC with Win10.  I prefer the Mac because of the large screen.  I am looking for a program that is simple to install. I am not a computer wizard.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank You.

Barry Baines

John:

On Mar 30, 2020, at 11:42 AM, John Moore <n5rk@...> wrote:

I would like to have a panadapter for my K3s.   I have a large screen Mac running Catalina and an older DuoCore 64 bit PC with Win10.  I prefer the Mac because of the large screen.  I am looking for a program that is simple to install. I am not a computer wizard.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank You.

The simplest and most effective means of using a panadapter with a  K3s is to get the P3 from Elecraft.   They work well and are very easy to setup.  No computer skills needed.  Along with the built-in display, there s the option for a SVGA video out that allows you to feed the panadapter display to a VGA monitor.  I have a 12” monitor connected to the P3 which makes it easy to see the display without a large footprint;  you can certainly use a larger display than that.

I initially tried using the LP-PAN2 (http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html) back in 2014 when I got my K3 system which is a combination of hardware and software that runs on Windows to provide a panadapter display on a computer screen.  It runs only on Windows and uses the sound card to provide audio into the computer from the LP-PAN2 hardware that is connected to K3 to provide I/Q input.  The key is the sound card which must meet specific criteria.  As I operate remotely, the potential of having a Panadapter on my computer screen was appealing because i could connect to the PC in the shack remotely and see the display when not in the shack.

However, I was frustrated by the whole thing and never got it to work properly.  I suspect the recommended sound card “interface" that I purchased was the culprit, but who knows.  Given that I was at my amateur station site only about 25% of the time, I did not have much opportunity to troubleshoot and follow the learning curve despite the support that I did receive from Telepost (including sending the LP-PAN2 back for evaluation/repair).  In 2015 I  gave up and got the P3 and have been satisfied with it ever since when operating from the shack. Unfortunately, this also means I don’t have a panadapter capability through my K3 system when operating remotely.  And I’m not knocking LP-PAN2 as others have been satisfied with the product.

I’m a Mac user for 80% of what I do with a computer (the exception being primarily amateur radio)  but I’m unaware of any panadapter package (hardware and software) that is designed for the Mac.   Others may have some thoughts on this.

If you’re not operating your K3s remotely and you’re not comfortable with dealing with Windows (e.g. drivers, configuration, installing applications and troubleshooting), for ease of installation and use, the P3 is difficult to beat with the K3/K3s.  Yes, the P3 is more expensive than the LP-PAN2 approach, but ease of use and avoiding frustrations with Windows and software also has some value.  Just as Apple products benefit from having the manufacturer responsible for both hardware and software, K3 users benefit from Elecraft being a source for major subsystems (transceiver, tuner, amplifier, panadapter) where ‘everything works.” Less hassles/frustrations is something to consider if your budget will allow it.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX

73's