Topics

CoronaVirus Guideline for Hams

Ed Pflueger

I spread out into the world Bob.  LOL

Ed..

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:11 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] CoronaVirus Guideline for Hams

Should anyone desire to distribute this or publish same, give credit {blame} to those of us that created and contributed:  Wayne - W4TZB, Bob - K4TAX, Ben - K4QF, and others.

Bob, K4TAX

GUIDELINES

Amateur Radio operators are requested to adapt to the Coronavirus mitigation guidelines as they apply to amateur radio operating.

All ham radio operators are encouraged to stay at least 6 feet from the microphone in order to maintain proper separation from others.  The distance may be reduced if a mask is put on the microphone.

CW operators should wear appropriate gloves when handling keys.

There should be no more than 10 stations on the same frequency at the same time.

Disinfect your knobs, switches, etc before operating ... especially touch screens and PTT.  Shoe covers should be worn when using foot switches.  Use of hands-free VOX is strongly encouraged although from 6 feet away, it will be necessary to shout.

Disinfect all antenna cables coming into the station.

Only mobile stations and walkie-talkie contacts are permitted where sit-down service has been banned.   The 6 ft microphone separation guideline is suspended for these types of operation, but a mask on the microphone is strongly recommended.

Mobile operators are encouraged to remain in their vehicles except to get necessities.

Operators should leave their operating positions only for necessities.

Outdoor antenna work is allowed as long as there is social distancing among all who are present.

Hoarding of batteries, spare tubes, etc. is discouraged and is unfair to others.  We are in this together.

New equipment and parts should be ordered  online for front porch delivery.

Do not test (tune) your equipment unnecessarily.   Testing should be reserved for those who actually need it.

Your understanding and cooperation in this matter will be appreciated.

============================================================================

--
Wayne
W4TZB

(Credit and thanks to K4TAX, K4QF, and others for some of the suggestions)

Edward McCann

I would add to the “disinfect cables coming into the shack” something like: “Common Mode Current should be choked prior to entry.”

Nice piece Bob.

Ed McCann
AG6CX

On Mar 25, 2020, at 1:05 AM, QUENTIN COLLIER via Groups.Io <q.g.collier@...> wrote:

Must admit that I found the following hilarious. While understanding that it might be considered inappropriate, in the present difficult times I find a bit of humour a tonic - particularly when it's well thought out like this! But we're all entitled to differing views, and that isn't what this posting is about.... 

As temporary editor of our local club Newsletter (Surrey Radio Contact Club - in Croydon, South London) I'd very much like to include the text in our upcoming issue. Is anyone on the list aware of any copyright, intellectual property or similar matters that would preclude me from doing so?

Thanks best 73 and good health to you all, Quin G3WRR 

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 19:45:43 GMT, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

GUIDELINES

Amateur Radio operators are requested to adapt to the Coronavirus mitigation guidelines as they apply to amateur radio operating.

All ham radio operators are encouraged to stay at least 6 feet from the microphone in order to maintain proper separation from others.  The distance may be reduced if a mask is put on the microphone.

There should be no more than 10 stations on the same frequency at the same time.

Disinfect your knobs, switches, etc before operating ... especially touch screens and PTT.  Shoe covers should be worn when using foot switches.  Use of hands-free VOX is strongly encouraged although from 6 feet away, it will be necessary to shout.

Only mobile stations and walkie-talkie contacts are permitted where sit-down service has been banned.   The 6 ft microphone separation guideline is suspended for these types of operation, but a mask on the microphone is strongly recommended.

Mobile operators are encouraged to remain in their vehicles except to get necessities.

Outdoor antenna work is allowed as long as there is social distancing among all who are present.

Hoarding of batteries, spare tubes, etc. is discouraged and is unfair to others.  We are in this together.

New equipment and parts should be ordered  online for front porch delivery.

Do not test (tune) your equipment unnecessarily.   Testing should be reserved for those who actually need it.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Should anyone desire to distribute this or publish same, give credit {blame} to those of us that created and contributed:  Wayne - W4TZB, Bob - K4TAX, Ben - K4QF, and others.

Bob, K4TAX

GUIDELINES

All ham radio operators are encouraged to stay at least 6 feet from the microphone in order to maintain proper separation from others.  The distance may be reduced if a mask is put on the microphone.

Disinfect your knobs, switches, etc before operating ... especially touch screens and PTT.  Shoe covers should be worn when using foot switches.  Use of hands-free VOX is strongly encouraged although from 6 feet away, it will be necessary to shout.

Only mobile stations and walkie-talkie contacts are permitted where sit-down service has been banned.   The 6 ft microphone separation guideline is suspended for these types of operation, but a mask on the microphone is strongly recommended.

Hoarding of batteries, spare tubes, etc. is discouraged and is unfair to others.  We are in this together.

Do not test (tune) your equipment unnecessarily.   Testing should be reserved for those who actually need it.

--
Wayne
W4TZB

(Credit and thanks to K4TAX, K4QF, and others for some of the suggestions)

Edward McCann

Kind of reminds me of the Night Before Christmas poem that was hamified with humor.

Ed McCann
AG6CX

On Mar 25, 2020, at 5:00 AM, Christopher Scibelli via Groups.Io <nu1oscar@...> wrote:

I highly doubt the author would object to you using his spoof.  I'd be flattered if I was him.  Plus, enforcing trivial IP matters aren't adjudicated even during normal times.

Chris  NU1O

-----Original Message-----
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 4:05 am

Must admit that I found the following hilarious. While understanding that it might be considered inappropriate, in the present difficult times I find a bit of humour a tonic - particularly when it's well thought out like this! But we're all entitled to differing views, and that isn't what this posting is about.... 

As temporary editor of our local club Newsletter (Surrey Radio Contact Club - in Croydon, South London) I'd very much like to include the text in our upcoming issue. Is anyone on the list aware of any copyright, intellectual property or similar matters that would preclude me from doing so?

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020, 19:45:43 GMT, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

GUIDELINES

Christopher Scibelli

I highly doubt the author would object to you using his spoof.  I'd be flattered if I was him.  Plus, enforcing trivial IP matters aren't adjudicated even during normal times.

Chris  NU1O

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 4:05 am

GUIDELINES

Christopher Scibelli

Agreed, as well.  Let's not loose our sense of humor during this pandemic.  I found nothing inappropriate about the spoof.  It made me laugh which I hadn't done for about a week.

Chris  NU1O

Sent: Wed, Mar 25, 2020 6:38 am

Agreed.  I needed a little smile today and appreciate the humor.  One piece of advice... don't quit your day job.  ;)

Be safe. Do safe things. Make people smile. That's safe. 

Kev
N4TT

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 11:58 PM James F. Boehner, MD via Groups.Io <jboehner01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes, but fortunately, this is not one of those times.

Guidelines from the CDC are constantly changing.  All of us, especially those in healthcare, are stressed beyond belief.

We need a little humor now and then to keep ourselves sharp and protect ourselves and those whom we treat in the workplace.

Stay safe!

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Elecraft-K3Listowner

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie T, k3ICH
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 11:47 PM

There are times when “humor” such as this is not appropriate!

Charlie k3ICH

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:45 PM
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] CoronaVirus Guideline for Hams

GUIDELINES

All ham radio operators are encouraged to stay at least 6 feet from the microphone in order to maintain proper separation from others.  The distance may be reduced if a mask is put on the microphone.

Disinfect your knobs, switches, etc before operating ... especially touch screens and PTT.  Shoe covers should be worn when using foot switches.  Use of hands-free VOX is strongly encouraged although from 6 feet away, it will be necessary to shout.

Only mobile stations and walkie-talkie contacts are permitted where sit-down service has been banned.   The 6 ft microphone separation guideline is suspended for these types of operation, but a mask on the microphone is strongly recommended.

Hoarding of batteries, spare tubes, etc. is discouraged and is unfair to others.  We are in this together.

Do not test (tune) your equipment unnecessarily.   Testing should be reserved for those who actually need it.

Kevin der Kinderen

Agreed.  I needed a little smile today and appreciate the humor.  One piece of advice... don't quit your day job.  ;)

Be safe. Do safe things. Make people smile. That's safe. 

Kev
N4TT

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 11:58 PM James F. Boehner, MD via Groups.Io <jboehner01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Guidelines from the CDC are constantly changing.  All of us, especially those in healthcare, are stressed beyond belief.

We need a little humor now and then to keep ourselves sharp and protect ourselves and those whom we treat in the workplace.

Stay safe!

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Elecraft-K3Listowner

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie T, k3ICH

Charlie k3ICH

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob McGraw - K4TAX

GUIDELINES

David Ferrington, M0XDF

I thought it entirely appropriate, it’s not racist, sexist, vulgar or rude - it’s humour!

-73 de M0XDF

On 25 Mar 2020, at 03:58, James F. Boehner, MD via Groups.Io <jboehner01@...> wrote:

Stay safe!

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Elecraft-K3Listowner

Charlie k3ICH

GUIDELINES

QUENTIN COLLIER

GUIDELINES

Clay Autery

"Don't worry....  about a thing.  Every little thing gonna be al-right..."  Also Mr. Marley

Try not to allow fear to rule your emotions.

Praying for all of you in my "radio family".

Be well.  Be safe.  And may you all be blessed beyond your capacity to contain it.

We speak that which is needed into existence by and in Jesus' mighty name.  AMEN!

Clay Autery, KY5G

On Mar 25, 2020 at 01:26, Milverton M. Swire via Groups.Io <tnnyswy@...> wrote:

Charlie, it is exactly times like these when we need to Laugh at ourselves! 

Milverton/W9MMS 

So much Trouble in the World! :- (  Bob Marley.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 22:47, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Charlie k3ICH

GUIDELINES

Milverton M. Swire

Charlie, it is exactly times like these when we need to Laugh at ourselves! 

Milverton/W9MMS 

So much Trouble in the World! :- (  Bob Marley.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 22:47, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Charlie k3ICH

GUIDELINES

James F. Boehner, MD

Stay safe!

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Elecraft-K3Listowner

Charlie k3ICH

GUIDELINES

Charlie T, k3ICH

Charlie k3ICH

GUIDELINES

Ilovecamping2@...

Thanks Bob, brought a smile to my face.
Keith
KY4KS 

David Bunte

I prefer:  "Ham Radio... physical distancing while socially connecting, for over 100 years."

73 de Dave - K9FN

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 4:13 PM David Mackey <k1ka@...> wrote:
Ham Radio, social distancing for more than 100 years.

David Mackey

On Mar 24, 2020, at 15:45, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

GUIDELINES

David Mackey

Ham Radio, social distancing for more than 100 years.

David Mackey
K1KA@...

On Mar 24, 2020, at 15:45, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

GUIDELINES

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

GUIDELINES