6 kHz filter for K3

Steve Masticola

I've found that I like to do a little SWLing on AM, but the 2.1 kHz filter cuts off too much. Does anyone know where to get a 6 kHz filter for the K3? Per the manual, they must exist. I've looked all the usual places and come up empty.

73, -Steve WX2S

David Erickson - AB0R

On 7/31/2022 8:09 AM, Steve Masticola wrote:
I've found that I like to do a little SWLing on AM, but the 2.1 kHz filter cuts off too much. Does anyone know where to get a 6 kHz filter for the K3? Per the manual, they must exist. I've looked all the usual places and come up empty.
73, -Steve WX2S
Steve,

Quite a few filters are still available for the K3 from Innrad:

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=140

I bought all of mine from them.

--
Dave Erickson
AB0R

Steve Masticola

Edited

Dave, thanks. I would up buying an FM filter on eBay from N7YV. That should also give me  FM capability if I ever want it. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

73, -Steve WX2S

Jim N7US

I bought the 13 kHz filter with my original K3 in 2009, and it's now in my K3S.  I don't use it now but it works fine for AM. 

Jim N7US
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/31/22 08:55 (GMT-06:00)
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6 kHz filter for K3

Dave, thanks. Inrad doesn't have any 6 kHz or wider filters at the moment.

I would up buying an FM filter on eBay from N7YV. That should also give me  FM capability if I ever want it. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

73, -Steve WX2S
_._,_._,_

Peter G3SMT

Hi Steve,

May I suggest that you buy a 13kHz  FM filter as that will give you both modes with one purchase and having used both bandwidths I wouldn't consider a 6kHz filter.

Peter  G3SMT

On 31/07/2022 13:09, Steve Masticola wrote:

73, -Steve WX2S

13k FM filter here as well, for AM and FM.

Arie PA3A

Op 31-7-2022 om 16:03 schreef Jim N7US:

I bought the 13 kHz filter with my original K3 in 2009, and it's now in my K3S.  I don't use it now but it works fine for AM.

_._,_._,_

James F. Boehner, MD

If I had to do it again, I would have chosen the 13 kHz filter over the 6 kHz filter.

'73 de JIM N2ZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Arie Kleingeld PA3A
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2022 10:21 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6 kHz filter for K3

13k FM filter here as well, for AM and FM.

Arie PA3A

Op 31-7-2022 om 16:03 schreef Jim N7US:
I bought the 13 kHz filter with my original K3 in 2009, and it's now
in my K3S. I don't use it now but it works fine for AM.

_._,_._,_

Steve Masticola

Thanks, guys. I was about to ask whether the FM filter would also work for AM transmit, but it appears from other answers here that it does. (The manual says you need an AM filter for AM transmit, but it could be wrong about that.)

73, -Steve WX2S

mikerodgerske5gbc

Known as lying to the k3 to get 8kc bandwidth for AM you need the fm filter. 
Just lie and tell it it is the AM filter. 

Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome 

On Jul 31, 2022, at 12:28 PM, Steve Masticola <wx2s@...> wrote:

Thanks, guys. I was about to ask whether the FM filter would also work for AM transmit, but it appears from other answers here that it does. (The manual says you need an AM filter for AM transmit, but it could be wrong about that.)

73, -Steve WX2S

mikerodgerske5gbc

You can always swl in sideband. 

7!
Absolutely Awesome 

On Jul 31, 2022, at 3:21 PM, mikerodgerske5gbc@... wrote:

Known as lying to the k3 to get 8kc bandwidth for AM you need the fm filter. 
Just lie and tell it it is the AM filter. 

Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome 

On Jul 31, 2022, at 12:28 PM, Steve Masticola <wx2s@...> wrote:

73, -Steve WX2S

Ed Berbari

I have both the 6 KHz and 13 KHz filters for the K3.  $125 each plus postage.