Topics

speakers

Charlie T, k3ICH

I think all y’all * are crazeee to spend that much on a speaker.

Just look around your next hamfest for any of the little Radio Shack “Optimus”  or “Minimus” bookshelf speakers.

I typically find them for about five bucks.

Even if the speaker itself is blown, good replacements are available (At Newark/MCM or Parts Express) for a couple bucks too.

They have a reasonably flat response, are metal or solid wooden cased, no cabinet resonances, small size and sound GREAT.

73’ Charlie k3ICH

*”Y’all”  is singular

“All y’all”  is plural

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Everett N4CY via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 6:20 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] internal tuners sold out

Dale,

If you want a SP3, save yourself some money. I will sell mine, new in opened box for $190. No shipping cost, or sales tax. $190 to your door and I will take PayPal, or a personal check. 

Everett N4CY

Everett N4CY

Hi Charlie,

I have two sets of the  Radio Shack Optius speakers and I can tell you they are crap compared to the SP3 speakers. I have had Icom and Kenwood speakers and they are crap compared to the Elecraft SP3. I have 2 of the SP3 speakers, one in use and the other new in box. So you might want to listen to a SP3 to see for yourself. However, if you have a tin ear then speaker quality makes no difference. 

Everett N4CY

On Jan 13, 2020, at 7:00 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Just look around your next hamfest for any of the little Radio Shack “Optimus”  or “Minimus” bookshelf speakers.

Even if the speaker itself is blown, good replacements are available (At Newark/MCM or Parts Express) for a couple bucks too.

They have a reasonably flat response, are metal or solid wooden cased, no cabinet resonances, small size and sound GREAT.

73’ Charlie k3ICH

*”Y’all”  is singular

“All y’all”  is plural

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Everett N4CY via Groups.Io

Dale,

If you want a SP3, save yourself some money. I will sell mine, new in opened box for $190. No shipping cost, or sales tax. $190 to your door and I will take PayPal, or a personal check. 

Everett N4CY

Charlie T, k3ICH

Yep, that must be it.

I guess I have a tin ear, whatever that means.

C

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] speakers

Hi Charlie,

I have two sets of the  Radio Shack Optius speakers and I can tell you they are crap compared to the SP3 speakers. I have had Icom and Kenwood speakers and they are crap compared to the Elecraft SP3. I have 2 of the SP3 speakers, one in use and the other new in box. So you might want to listen to a SP3 to see for yourself. However, if you have a tin ear then speaker quality makes no difference. 

Everett N4CY

73’ Charlie k3ICH

*”Y’all”  is singular

“All y’all”  is plural

Dale,

Everett N4CY

Wes Stewart

I have seven of them around here (don't know where the 8th one went).  I find them at estate sales and buy them on general principles.

Wes  N7WS

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 6:00:46 AM MST, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

73’ Charlie k3ICH

*”Y’all”  is singular

“All y’all”  is plural

Dale,

Everett N4CY

southdaleus

I've got speakers those you mentioned and others, but the Elecraft SP-3 sounds like what I want to hear plus it is easy to drive, I don't have to turn up the volume   It's a great speaker  IMHO

Dale K9VUJ

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

I guess it's different strokes for different ear-drums, but I've used a wood-encased Radio Shack Minimus-17 on my office desk with various transceivers for over 30 years and it is excellent.

Kent  K9ZTV

On 1/13/2020 7:44 AM, Everett N4CY via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Charlie,

Everett N4CY

73’ Charlie k3ICH

*”Y’all”  is singular

“All y’all”  is plural

Dale,

Everett N4CY

N4KS Ken Stuber

If you are not on a budget, I can recommend the Elecraft SP3. Very good sound quality and a perfect match to the K3. I utilize two of them in order to take advantage of the K3's AFX feature. Elecraft's price point is comparable to YAECOMWOOD external speakers.

73, Ken N4KS