Topics

K3s RX Ant port question

Don Jones

Edited

Does the rx ant port disconnect during transmit? Do I need to install a TR switch on the rx ant port to protect the K3? Running 1500w with tx & rx ant's in close proximity to each other. Don't want to smoke my K3S. 
I'm not finding a straight answer in the manual. I do have a automatic tuner installed. 
Thanks, Don KO7I

Edit,
I  do have the sub receiver installed. 

Richard Williams

I would obtain  a DX Engineering Receiver Guard RF Limiter (DXE- RG5000HD.  Have used one for years in front of my receive antennas (Beverages,  HiZ 8, and SAL 30), and two of the three are close to my 160M phased verticals. 

And no, the RX port does not disconnect during transmit.

Dick, K8ZTT 

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 21:06, Don Jones
<ko7i@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Does the rx ant port disconnect during transmit? Do I need to install a TR switch on the rx ant port to protect the K3? Running 1500w with tx & rx ant's in close proximity to each other. Don't want to smoke my K3S. 
I'm not finding a straight answer in the manual. I do have a automatic tuner installed. 
Thanks, Don KO7I

Edit,

Mel Marcus

If you look at the diagram for the RX antenna (kxv3a/b) you will see that the RX antenna is switched out during transmit. if you have a Kadybook look at diagram figure 8-25. make sure you engage the rx antenna via the button next to the power button.

Mel
NE9A

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3s RX Ant port question
Date: Sat, January 11, 2020 10:55 pm
To: "Elecraft-K3@groups.io" <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>

I would obtain  a DX Engineering Receiver Guard RF Limiter (DXE- RG5000HD.  Have used one for years in front of my receive antennas (Beverages,  HiZ 8, and SAL 30), and two of the three are close to my 160M phased verticals. 

And no, the RX port does not disconnect during transmit.

Dick, K8ZTT 

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 21:06, Don Jones
<ko7i@...> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Thanks, Don KO7I

Edit,

Don Jones

NE9A, um no, I'm seeing that the rx ant port when connected to the sub rx, is not isolated during transmit. I do have the Kady book too.

Don Jones

Sent via my wireless cell phone.

Mel Marcus

Don

We used a beverage  ant on the RX antenna port during FD on the k3 and had no problems. That would have been a terrible design flaw if the k3 allowed the receiver to overload during transmit. Hope someone more knowledgeable jumps in to educate.

Mel 

Date: Sun, January 12, 2020 2:17 pm
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

NE9A, um no, I'm seeing that the rx ant port when connected to the sub rx, is not isolated during transmit. I do have the Kady book too.

Don Jones

All RX IN ports are disconnected by PIN diode
switches during transmit. They are also protected by carrier-operated relays. 

If the COR relay gets keyed by your RF or by another nearby TX, consider increasing separation between antennas or using a supplemental diode switch keyed by the KEY OUT signal. 

Wayne
N6KR

On Jan 12, 2020, at 12:17 PM, Don Jones <ko7i@...> wrote:

Don Jones

Mel Marcus

Wayne

Thanks for that update. I knew that the K3 would not have been  built with that flaw.

Mel
NE9A

Date: Sun, January 12, 2020 3:07 pm
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

If the COR relay gets keyed by your RF or by another nearby TX, consider increasing separation between antennas or using a supplemental diode switch keyed by the KEY OUT signal. 

Wayne
N6KR

Don Jones

Dave N3AC

Wayne,

Does that include the Aux Antenna - is it likewise disconnected during transmit?

Thanks,

Dave N3AC

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 16:07 N6KR <n6kr@...> wrote:

Wayne
N6KR

Don Jones

Mike Irizarry

I have a K3.  I do not believe either the receive ant port or sub receive port are disconnected like the main antenna ports.  There are some small protection diodes. I use the kd9sv front end protection for both. You can get them at dx engineering.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 9:58 PM Don Jones <ko7i@...> wrote:
Thanks, Don KO7I 

All RX antenna ports have series PIN diodes that open during TX.

Wayne

On Jan 12, 2020, at 11:39 AM, Mike Irizarry <michael.irizarry29@...> wrote:

I have a K3. I do not believe either the receive ant port or sub receive port are disconnected like the main antenna ports. There are some small protection diodes. I use the kd9sv front end protection for both. You can get them at dx engineering.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 9:58 PM Don Jones <ko7i@...> wrote:
Thanks, Don KO7I

Yes. But if the signal is still too hot, it triggers the COR.

Wayne

On Jan 12, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Dave N3AC <dcharing@...> wrote:

Wayne,

Does that include the Aux Antenna - is it likewise disconnected during transmit?

Thanks,

Dave N3AC

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 16:07 N6KR <n6kr@...> wrote:

Wayne
N6KR

----
elecraft.com

Don Jones

Don Jones

Thank you for the responses.

I'm a little up-tight about protecting the sub rx during transmit when running legal limit with the rx ant being very close the the tx ant (40 ft or less). The EMC engineer in me is saying add a T/R switch to the rx ant. 

Don KO7I