Topics

630 meter operation on the K3

Mel Farrer

Are there any mods to allow transceiver operation on 472-479 KHz?  I know it stops at 500 KHz.  I am doing 630 with a transverter now, but would like to not use it if the K3 can Tx/Rx on 630 meter band?  Just a thought.

Mel, K6KBE

Brian K0DTJ

Yes. Elecraft offers an upgrade path to operate the K3 on 630 meters. You have to have the KSYN3A upgraded synthesizer installed. It will tune down to 100 kHz. If you have the KBPF3 General Coverage board installed, you can apply a mod kit which will extend the coverage down to 100 kHz including 630 meters. If you don't have the general coverage board installed then the the KBPF3A General Coverage mod (which includes the low frequency coverage). The 630 meter transmit signal is available on the KXV3 interface board which is commonly installed to support the P3. It's at a low level - 0.5 mW as I recall. There is a good .pdf write-up on this on the Elecraft website. Search for 630m from the top page.

My 10 year old K3 has all these mods and I've checked out the receive capability using WSPR. I checked out the transmit signal using an oscilloscope and it and it seems fine too but I've never put it on the air. Obviously I need a 630 meter amp and antenna to get there.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

Mel Farrer

Thanks, Brian, I did not look on the website will do so thanks.  No I do not have either of the upgrades and will be looking for them.  I hope they are still available on line.

Mel K6KBE