50 mhz/ 6 meter SWR

Bill Gillenwater

I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.

On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.

On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get a 3.5-1 etc.

Am I missing something?

Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

Thanks,

73 Bill

Bill Gillenwater

Thanks Bob.
It works fine through my Ft-847 but when I re-route the incoming coax through cabling to the K3, I get a different result. May be a cable length in the jumper that 6 meters doesn’t like?

Your idea of a known dummy load is a good one. Thanks again.

Bill K3SV

On May 8, 2022, at 9:06 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

Yes, the internal tuner does work on 6M.  Based on your measurements, check to see if the ATU is in BYPASS for 6M or allow it to resolve a match on 6M.

I would suggest you use a known good dummy load and not an antenna for verification of SWR indications.  The analyzer may show a 1:1 SWR but there are other impedance components that may exist and not be shown, depending on the analyzer.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?
Do you have the KAT3 or KAT3A? If the former, the tuner is
in circuit all the time - simply set to the memorized value
for a 50 Ohm load. Connect your dummy load directly to the
rig, enable the tuner and tune into the dummy load to reset
the "bypass" values. See if that doesn't get the K3 display
closer to the analyzer.

... and, yes you can use the internal tuner on 6M. I do it
regularly.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-05-07 2:22 PM, Bill Gillenwater wrote:
I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.
On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.
On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get a 3.5-1 etc.
Am I missing something?
Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?
Thanks,
73 Bill

Dan Roberts

Is your coax really 50 Ohms?  I’m not joking.  Just because it says RG8/U on the jacket, doesn’t mean it is.  I found this out the hard way, a few months ago, when trying to tweak the tuning on a new 6 meter beam.  After several days of ladder climbing and strange results, I put a precision load at the end of the off-brand coax and measured a VSWR of about 1.6 on all frequencies!  Clearly not a 50 Ohm cable.  Replaced with cable from well known  U.S. manufacturer and saw zero reflected.  Antenna tuned right up.

I then went through my collection of old cables and found most to be good, but two off-brand cables were not.

Until that experience, I’d always assumed that RG-8/U meant 50 Ohms and never questioned it.  Now, before I start any antenna project, I check the cable with a precision load and my antenna analyzer.  Absolutely worth the few minutes it takes.

Dan-K9DR

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 2022-05-07 2:22 PM, Bill Gillenwater wrote:

> I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.

> On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander

> readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.

> On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get a

> 3.5-1 etc.

> Am I missing something?

> Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

> Thanks,

> 73 Bill

Bill Gillenwater

Thanks. Yes, I checked into a dummy load just now. The 6 meter coax fun is all new 400 stuff. I few jumpers in the shack that I just checked out. I ended up going through a re-calibrating process that was recommended for each band, using the ATU and also the bypass. The bands that were off are now calibrated to the 50 ohm dummy load. All looking good now.

Thanks Dan

73 Bill K3SV

On 2022-05-07 2:22 PM, Bill Gillenwater wrote:

> I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.

> On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander

> readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.

> On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get a

> 3.5-1 etc.

> Am I missing something?

> Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

> Thanks,

> 73 Bill

Bill Gillenwater

Thanks Joe.

That worked.

73 Bill K3SV

On 2022-05-07 2:22 PM, Bill Gillenwater wrote:
I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.

On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.

On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get a 3.5-1 etc.

Am I missing something?

Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

Thanks,

73 Bill

Ray Maxfield

As I remember, the ATU dose work on 6 Meters.

Ray WA6VAB  K3

> > Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

> Do you have the KAT3 or KAT3A?  If the former, the tuner is

> in circuit all the time - simply set to the memorized value

> for a 50 Ohm load.  Connect your dummy load directly to the

> rig, enable the tuner and tune into the dummy load to reset

> the "bypass" values.  See if that doesn't get the K3 display

> closer to the analyzer.

> ... and, yes you can use the internal tuner on 6M.  I do it

> regularly.

> 73,

>    ... Joe, W4TV

> On 2022-05-07 2:22 PM, Bill Gillenwater wrote:

>> I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.

>> On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander

>> readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.

>> On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get

>> a 3.5-1 etc.

>> Am I missing something?

>> Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

>> Thanks,

>> 73 Bill

Jim Brown

On 5/8/2022 9:15 AM, Dan Roberts wrote:
I then went through my collection of old cables and found most to be good, but two off-brand cables were not.
There IS junk cable out there, just as there are junk connectors. It just plain foolish to buy anything but quality in both.

73, Jim K9YC

K5KG

Bill, I’m having difficulty understanding your email. If you are having a VSWR problem, please start by explaining the antenna you are using, and what you have done to isolate the cause of the mismatch.

Give me a call if you’d like to discuss it. 941-400-1960.

OJ, George K5KG

On May 7, 2022, at 21:32, Bill Gillenwater <k3sv@...> wrote:

I am running into a higher SWR when on 6 meters.

On the HF bands the SWR readings are accurate, ie; 10,15,20 tribander readings all match the analyzer tests, 1-1 etc.

On 6 meters the analyzer shows 1.2 to 1 but when fed to the K-3 I get a 3.5-1 etc.

Am I missing something?

Also, can I use the internal tuner on 6 meters?

Thanks,

73 Bill

jeff stai wk6i

hi Bill - It sounds like you found a different solution, but just in case...

I was having a similar issue with SWR being off on 6 meters. It turned out that the fix for my very old K3 was to replace the pins on the KREF3 board with gold plated pins. If you have a newer K3 you'll already have the gold pins. 73 jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai ~ WK6I ~ wk6i.jeff@...
RTTY op at W7RN

Bill Gillenwater

Thanks Jeff,

Yes, the pins have been replaced on this one.

73 Bill