SDR

N S <kl7rs@...>

I wonder if Elecraft is ever going to replace the K3S with a true SDR radio that provides the processing in the rig and uses the front controls and or a low power computer to interface with it.  Similar to what Flex is doing.  I would also like the PC software to be generic platform independent so that it can run on Windows, Mac, or Linux.  I'd love to see Elecraft join the competition or maybe even jump ahead of the SDR competition.  It would also be nice to have a SDR that was STABLE in the VHF/UHF bands, unlike the new Icom 9700 which drifts and can't seem to stay on frequency.

Just thinking out loud.....

Norm

southdaleus

I hope not.

Dale, K9VUJ

On 04, May 2019, at 9:41, N S via Groups.Io <kl7rs@...> wrote:

I wonder if Elecraft is ever going to replace the K3S with a true SDR radio that provides the processing in the rig and uses the front controls and or a low power computer to interface with it.  Similar to what Flex is doing.  I would also like the PC software to be generic platform independent so that it can run on Windows, Mac, or Linux.  I'd love to see Elecraft join the competition or maybe even jump ahead of the SDR competition.  It would also be nice to have a SDR that was STABLE in the VHF/UHF bands, unlike the new Icom 9700 which drifts and can't seem to stay on frequency.

Just thinking out loud.....

Norm

harry latterman <harrylatterman@...>

Norm,

Elecraft is a company that has a history of surprises going all the way back to the K2 and who would have suspected the KX3 and KX2, plus the K-line and KX-line.  I suspect one day Wayne and Eric and the rest of the crew will bring out the infamous K4 or KS that will blow away Flex and probably the most dangerous radio I have seen so far as far as possible performance the FTdx101D and MP.  No need to now since the K3S is still a kick ass performer.

As far as a software goes, it sounds like you are looking for open source.  Never will happen. If for example the K3S or even the KX2 or KX3 was open source the world would be swamped with Chinese knock offs by now and Elecraft will be out of business.  That goes for all the rest of the new radios.  Making a software for any radio takes time and money. Like Microsoft or hate it, better then 80% of the market is Windoz and poor little Apple can't seem to even break 7% of the computer market and Linux is close to that now and growing. Pouring money into Apple and Linux is not going to happen soon or ever on a large scale. IMHO.

I have not seen the IC-9700, but hope to one day get one.  I am not aware of any drift problems at this time, but that does not mean that it does not happen.  The reviews on eham is 5 so far (just checked) and it is a 5.0/5.  Seems no one else is seeing a drifting problem as of yet.  You want stable, put a external transverter on your radio.

Just sharing out loud... Thinking out loud is always good also, keep it up.
..

Harry K7ZOV

On Saturday, May 4, 2019, 9:26:19 AM MST, N S via Groups.Io <kl7rs@...> wrote:

I wonder if Elecraft is ever going to replace the K3S with a true SDR radio that provides the processing in the rig and uses the front controls and or a low power computer to interface with it.  Similar to what Flex is doing.  I would also like the PC software to be generic platform independent so that it can run on Windows, Mac, or Linux.  I'd love to see Elecraft join the competition or maybe even jump ahead of the SDR competition.  It would also be nice to have a SDR that was STABLE in the VHF/UHF bands, unlike the new Icom 9700 which drifts and can't seem to stay on frequency.

Just thinking out loud.....

Norm

Rob Sherwood

From my perspective, the term SDR (software defined radio) today is virtually meaningless.  A K3S is a superhet down-conversion radio with lots of DSP software programming in the tail end of the radio.  The TS-890S is also a down-conversion superhet, but with a direct sampling bandscope and waterfall display.  It also has software programming that can be upgraded by a firmware flash.  The newly released FTdx-101D is a hybrid like the TS-890S.

The Flex transceivers are direct sampling radios, as are the IC-7300, IC-7610 and IC-9700.  There is an embedded OS in the Icom radios and lots of firmware upgradable software.

All the Apache radios are direct sampling, and some of the software is in the radio, but a lot of the processing is in the PC.

I am not a programmer, so I don’t know if it is possible to write code to run on Windows,  Apple and Linux platforms without separate binaries.

If you are looking for an Elecraft “SDR”, I assume you are meaning a direct sampling radio.  Direct sampling has advantages and disadvantages.  Most of the time the architecture doesn’t matter much, but if you are operating Field Day, or have another ham a mile away, a down-conversion radio like the K3S will not overload nearly as easily as a direct sampling radio, if both stations are on the same band at the same time.  On the other hand, the contest DX K3S package is on sale for $5959.95, while an IC-7610 cost between $3000 and $3100.  The direct sampling radio has a cost advantage, and the hybrid TS-890S and FTdx-101D are both under $4000.  These are all great radios, but there are times with the K3S wins hands down.  (I am assuming the FTdx-101D will test out well, and I’ll know that in a week.)

73, Rob, NC0B