Topics

Elecraft K3S (RJ45) and SPE Expert PA

OZ0J Joe

Hi

I do have an Elecraft K3S with a RJ45 plug for the RS232.

I would like to connect my SPE Expert 1,3K FA so the K3S sends band data to the Expert PA.

I will connect the K3S to my laptop via the USB cable.

If it is possible, how do I connect to the SPE Expert PA to send band data to the SPE PA?

73, Joe OZ0J

john ni0k

You have to use the DB15 acc jack.

-John NI0K

Friday, March 15, 2019 3:15 PM

Hi

I do have an Elecraft K3S with a RJ45 plug for the RS232.

I would like to connect my SPE Expert 1,3K FA so the K3S sends band data to the Expert PA.

I will connect the K3S to my laptop via the USB cable.

If it is possible, how do I connect to the SPE Expert PA to send band data to the SPE PA?

73, Joe OZ0J

OZ0J Joe

John

Thanks for the reply.

It is the K3S end, I am not sure what to do.

I did find a RS232 -> RJ45 cable for my K3S, so I expect that I can use that.

- Joe OZ0J

I do have an Elecraft K3S with a RJ45 plug for the RS232.

I would like to connect my SPE Expert 1,3K FA so the K3S sends band data to the Expert PA.

I will connect the K3S to my laptop via the USB cable.

If it is possible, how do I connect to the SPE Expert PA to send band data to the SPE PA?

73, Joe OZ0J

David Robinson

Yes it is, thats how I do it. I found lots of designs for connecting K3 to the spe but no k3s to the spe, so I had to work it out myself

I just needed a screened ethernet cable which i chopped one end off and a dbe-15 plug

It works great and has the advantage of the spe knowing which  band SEGMENT is on and prechoosing the atu settings

Will scan my wiring and upload later

Dave
G4FRE

Max NG7M

I made a couple of detailed videos on this topic... the first one is specific to the 2K-FA and building your own interface cable and the second one is sharing the K3/S CAT feed across multiple software applications and hardware, 2K-FA or other hardware that can read the K3/S CAT data in your case.   You can jump ahead 10 seconds or back 10 seconds on YouTube with the 'J' and 'L' keys...  I'm not known for short videos!

SPE 2K-FA CAT Interface to an Elecraft K3/S and Remote Software (same as 1.3/1.5 FA models)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku8Gyl0amRY

K3/S cat feed sharing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbf7BPfcj4U

Max NG7M

Bob Wilson, N6TV

For those who would just like a plug and play solution, I designed the S-BOX (Serial Box) for just this purpose.  It's like my Y-BOX, but splits the 9-pin K3 Serial port (or K3S RJ45 Serial Port pigtail) for shared "read only" access by multiple devices, including the P3 and all models of SPE amplifiers and SteppIR controllers.   No soldering required, no custom "SteppIR" or "SPE"  or "Elecraft" cables are required, just standard shielded D-SUB cables with molded connectors, which I can supply.

Works with K3S, P3 via CBL3P3Y, K3 + KIO3B or standard K3 without KIO3B or any other radio with a serial port (or even a Flex). Optionally includes an internal FTDI USB-to-Serial adapter and COM port CW/PTT keying interface for a KX3 or KX2, all in one box (S-BOX-USB model).