Topics

K3s & RTTY

Bob Wilson, N6TV

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM KE1F Lou <lmecseri@...> wrote:
I am running a K3s and trying to set up MMTTY using WIN 10 OS without
success. (I had it working once)

Did it work via AFSK (speaker audio from sound card wired to LINE IN) or FSK (keying circuit on Pin 1 of ACC port)?

My device manager shows that Com 3, Com 9 and Com198 available.
Regardless which com port I use on MMTTY, I get an error message "Can't
open port X.

Assuming these are all FTDI USB-to-Serial devices, MMTTY cannot directly open any of these ports at 45.5 baud, either because another program is already using it, or because the device does not support being opened at that speed.  You can't use any of these COM port numbers on the TX Tab.  Instead, you must select EXTFSK from the drop-down list of COM ports, and click "OK."  Then a pop-up window called "EXTFSK" will appear, and you can select COM198 in that window, assuming that's the port with an FSK keying circuit connected to Pin 1 of the K3 ACC port.

If you don't see a choice for EXTFSK, go to https://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmtty/ext-fsk.php, scroll down to the bottom of the page, download EXTFSK106.zip, and extract it to the MMTTY directory (usually C:\HAM\MMTTY\).

Port 3 is used by WinKey and Port 9 is used by K3s for CAT.

That's why I assumed you must use COM198, if you know what that is.  What does it say in Device Manager?  If it disappears when you unplug your USB-to-Serial adapter to FSK keying circuit, then you have the right port.

Is this a K3s (Config), RTTY or Windows issue?????

It's an MMTTY Configuration issue.

FYI, I created the Y-BOX to make it easy to get to any pin on the K3 ACC port, and I created the S-BOX/S-BOX-USB in part to provide four keying circuits for FSK/PTT (or CW) all in one box.  A single 15-pin cable can carry the FSK and PTT keying lines between the S-BOX and the K3 or Y-BOX.

There are many other FSK keying options listed here:

Computers will destroy us. :)

Usually it works the other way around. :-)

73,
Bob, N6TV

Don Jones

Just this past week I successfully used NG7M's video to integrate MMTTY FSK to my K3S / ACOM 2000A station. I strongly recommend it. I really like dropping the received tones down to 915 Hz from the default setting. I did have to use a multiple of 4 for my sound card sample rate, another excellent tip in the video.

Integrating to N1MM+ was a snitch.

I attribute my success to the NG7M YouTube video. It is found very quickly by searching keywords NG7M FSK on YouTube. 2 thumbs up.

Also, I did purchase a N6TV designed Y BOX too. I strongly endorse the use of that accessory port splitter box. It avoids the mess of multiple splitter cables. It makes it easy to access the FSK port yet does not interfere with other devices the require accessory port access (i.e. P3, SteppIR, or other devices needing band data). Bob N6TV gives outstanding tech support.

I really like the AA5AU diode OR'ing trick for doing SO2V operation too. A really simple way of paralleling 2 serial comm ports for PTT & FSK functions.

Bottom line, I would buy NG5M, N6TV, & AA5AU a cup of water at Vasalia... (watch the video and you will know what I'm talking about.)

73,
Don KO7I

Jim - WS6X

Re: K3s & RTTY
From: Max NG7M
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 19:04:51 PST

<SNIP>

I chose the long winded route and haven't had to spend hours on the phone or remoted in to some guys station via TeamViewer to unwind all the crazy chaotic button clicking and jacked up sound card / n1mm settings / K3 config menu settings they usually apply because the concepts never quite sink in…

…Plus, I never need to field several phone calls before a contest weekend with guys that seem to do a Steller job of  screwing up their FSK setup from contest to contest.  I point them to the video and say, now you can learn to do it on your own. :)

73,

Jim – WS6X

Max NG7M

Good and Long Winded... I guess that's a compliment? :) I don't think I have seen someone that create something more detailed, that is for sure.  However, the detail pretty much leaves everything covered if you want to setup FSK with a serial port with a K3 and MMTTY.  One thing that is very handy in YouTube is jumping forward and back 10 seconds with the arrow keys.  You can also use the 'J' and 'L' keys to jump back and forward in YouTube.  10 second jumps really let you move quickly.  Using the keyboard shortcuts make a big difference if you need to repeat a section 100 times like some guys need, based on my experience.

I also made the video during the BARTG so I would have signals to demo live with in the video.  It's always a challenge when you put yourself out there in a video like this, short and sweet with very little info, or long and detailed... which I guess is long winded.  I chose the long winded route and haven't had to spend hours on the phone or remoted in to some guys station via TeamViewer to unwind all the crazy chaotic button clicking and jacked up sound card / n1mm settings / K3 config menu settings they usually apply because the concepts never quite sink in.  Never again now I have my video... ;)

Plus, I never need to field several phone calls before a contest weekend with guys that seem to do a Steller job of  screwing up their FSK setup from contest to contest.  I point them to the video and say, now you can learn to do it on your own. :)

Max NG7M

Jeff Jolie

Hi Lou,
If you haven't seen it yet, there is a very good, but long-winded, tutorial on Youtube by NG7M. He goes over everything in detail.  Here is the link:

73 Jeff NM1Y

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:24 AM KE1F Lou <lmecseri@...> wrote:
I am running a K3s and trying to set up MMTTY using WIN 10 OS without
success. (I had it working once)

My device manager shows that Com 3, Com 9 and Com198 available.
Regardless which com port I use on MMTTY, I get an error message "Can't
open port X.

Port 3 is used by WinKey and Port 9 is used by K3s for CAT.

Is this a K3s (Config), RTTY or Windows issue?????

73 Lou KE1F

Computers will destroy us. :)

ve3ki

Wrong.

The WInkeyer's output is Morse code, and it is connected to the rig's CW key input. FSK RTTY requires keying using the Baudot code applied to the rig's FSK input on the ACC connector. Until such time as the Winkeyer is redesigned to produce Baudot FSK keying as well as (or instead of) CW keying, together with some way to connect the FSK keying output of the Winkeyer to the radio's FSK keying input, it cannot be used to do FSK RTTY. As it stands, neither COM3 (Winkeyer) nor COM9 (rig control) can be used for FSK keying - they are both dedicated to other incompatible uses.

If you have a third serial port with a keying circuit on it that is connected to the FSK keying input, use that. If you don't, use AFSK instead - no serial port is required for that.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:23 PM, rich wrote:
Assuming you are using FSK keying,  MMTTY should be set to Com3 since
WinKey is the device that is keying your rig.   Try that first.

Rich

On 1/16/2019 11:24 AM, KE1F Lou wrote:
I am running a K3s and trying to set up MMTTY using WIN 10 OS without
success. (I had it working once)

My device manager shows that Com 3, Com 9 and Com198 available.
Regardless which com port I use on MMTTY, I get an error message
"Can't open port X.

Port 3 is used by WinKey and Port 9 is used by K3s for CAT.

Is this a K3s (Config), RTTY or Windows issue?????

73 Lou KE1F

Computers will destroy us. :)

rich

Assuming you are using FSK keying,  MMTTY should be set to Com3 since WinKey is the device that is keying your rig.   Try that first.

Rich

On 1/16/2019 11:24 AM, KE1F Lou wrote:
I am running a K3s and trying to set up MMTTY using WIN 10 OS without success. (I had it working once)

My device manager shows that Com 3, Com 9 and Com198 available.
Regardless which com port I use on MMTTY, I get an error message "Can't open port X.

Port 3 is used by WinKey and Port 9 is used by K3s for CAT.

Is this a K3s (Config), RTTY or Windows issue?????

73 Lou KE1F

Computers will destroy us. :)

Ed Pflueger

Is it a K3 or K3S? I use AFSK with my K3S. TX is set at none, Misc. is set
at Sound, and Sound card is set at USB audio codec in the MMTTY program. In
the K3S use AFSK A for the data mode and VOX turned on and PTT is OFF-OFF in
CNFG. Works great here.

Ed.. AB4IQ