Topics

Slight Frequency Shift When Keying

wb6bee

I have a K3s.   I only use CW.   I only use a Bug.   Speed about 26-28 wpm.    I have the K3s set on "non-QSK", but the interval is short.

I got the following Report

"When it happens it is always after you send a string of characters and pause for a few seconds. When you start xmitting again your freq will shift ever so slightly, like maybe 5 Hz or so. It will hold that freq until another long pause the back to the original freq. Back and forth  just every once in awhile then sometimes not at all. "

The change when I pause may be due to the non-QSK timing out.

Anyone have any similar experiences and/or comments

Don
WB6BEE

John/K4WJ

Don,

Roy, K6XK, told me the same thing about my keying. It appears to happen when I leave the RS 30m turned on overnight and doesn't happen when I turn the PS off before going to bed.

I turn the K3 off every night before I QRT for the day. However during the time of the year when thunderstorm activity is low, I was leaving the supply run all night long. When I started doing this is when Roy started telling me about the slight frequency shift. As the thunderstorm activity began to rise I started turning off the PS before retiring for bed, the frequency shift problem went away.

I'm wondering if something is heating up in the K3 when the power supply is left turned on all night long.

I have not discussed this problem with Elecraft.

73..de John/K4WJ

On 11/23/2018 8:28 AM, wb6bee wrote:
I have a K3s.   I only use CW.   I only use a Bug.   Speed about 26-28 wpm.    I have the K3s set on "non-QSK", but the interval is short.

I got the following Report

"When it happens it is always after you send a string of characters and pause for a few seconds. When you start xmitting again your freq will shift ever so slightly, like maybe 5 Hz or so. It will hold that freq until another long pause the back to the original freq. Back and forth  just every once in awhile then sometimes not at all. "

The change when I pause may be due to the non-QSK timing out.

Anyone have any similar experiences and/or comments

Don
WB6BEE

john ni0k

Please check and monitor the voltage output of the power supply, especially when transmitting. There may be some heat-activated issue with the power supply. Also, the Powerpole connectors used on the K3 can become loose and also cause a voltage drop.

73,
-John NI0K

John/K4WJ wrote:

[...]

That' interesting.   I am using the Powerwerx SS 30 DV power supply for the K3s.   I AM leaving it on all night (and have forever).

I will rig up some measuring for it and see what happens.

Don
WB6BEE

wb6bee

According to the Fluke, 14.1 volts from the Power supply on RX and 14.06 Volts on TX.

Don
WB6BEE

john ni0k

Don,

Hmmmm. Interesting. Two thoughts: check the voltage inside the radio; send an email to support@...

-J

wb6bee wrote on 11/26/2018 9:16 AM:

According to the Fluke, 14.1 volts from the Power supply on RX and 14.06 Volts on TX.

Don
WB6BEE

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Measure the voltage at the 12V accessory connector on the rear of the radio.

Another point to consider, I've found it necessary to always connect a dedicated ground conductor between the ground terminal on the back of the radio to the ground terminal on the power supply.   In fact each piece of my station equipment is bonded to the station power supply ground terminal by a dedicated ground conductor.  For these I use #10 AWG auto primary wire with a suitable ring connector which is both crimped and soldered.   This assures every piece of equipment is always at the same potential.    This has nothing to do with "lightning protection" as that protection system occurs outside of the house and should NEVER inside the house.

On 11/26/2018 9:23 AM, john ni0k wrote:
Don,

Hmmmm. Interesting. Two thoughts: check the voltage inside the radio; send an email to support@...

-J

wb6bee wrote on 11/26/2018 9:16 AM:
According to the Fluke, 14.1 volts from the Power supply on RX and 14.06 Volts on TX.

Don
WB6BEE

Richard Williams

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:17 AM, wb6bee
<wb6bee@...> wrote:
That' interesting.   I am using the Powerwerx SS 30 DV power supply for the K3s.   I AM leaving it on all night (and have forever).

I will rig up some measuring for it and see what happens.

Don
WB6BEE

Richard Williams

Don,

Am surprised you turn off your radio every night.  Other than when on vacation or TRWs are in the area, I leave my computers (I let the monitors go to sleep), K3S, and just about all the associated equipment on 24/7 (except for the amp).

The only time I have had an issue with a computer or the K3, was after I had turned them off, and then back on.

Dick, K8ZTT

<wb6bee@...> wrote:
That' interesting.   I am using the Powerwerx SS 30 DV power supply for the K3s.   I AM leaving it on all night (and have forever).

I will rig up some measuring for it and see what happens.

Don
WB6BEE

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I always shut everything down in sequence.  On power up the next time, be a few hours or several days, no issues experienced.

I find the system is quite robust and highly repeatable.

Bob, K4TAX