Topics

K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

Chuck

GD,

I know I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, however right now I feel dumber than a rock.

Have a RTL2832U R820T2 SDR connected to the K3s IF Out then USB to computer.

Have the ExtIO.dll installed in the Waterfall directory   Which is in the root directory of Documents along with N1MM+.

I get no indication on the spectrum display.

Am confused as to what to put in the spectrum source, have tried call sound card based SDR, or
the ExtIO.  Exactly what should be entered I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck N7BV

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

The IF output frequency is ~8.12 MHz.  Does the dongle tune that low?  The one I used only went down to ~25 MHz.  Of course that was a couple of years ago and things have changed.

Bob, K4TAX

On Nov 17, 2018, at 2:05 PM, n7bv@... wrote:

GD,

I know I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, however right now I feel dumber than a rock.

Have a RTL2832U R820T2 SDR connected to the K3s IF Out then USB to computer.

Have the ExtIO.dll installed in the Waterfall directory   Which is in the root directory of Documents along with N1MM+.

I get no indication on the spectrum display.

Am confused as to what to put in the spectrum source, have tried call sound card based SDR, or
the ExtIO.  Exactly what should be entered I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck N7BV

ve3ki

Set the source in WB to the name of the ExtIO.dll file, which must be in the same directory as the WaterfallBandmap.exe file. You will need to check the SDR at IF? check box. The IF frequency is 8215 kHz. You can fine tune using the Offset (Hz) box - you will need to change the value in the Offset box when you change modes (e.g. +/- 1500 Hz in USB/LSB). Also check Auto Correct I & Q, and unless you are on 6m, check Swap I & Q. Start out with the # Freq Bins at 16384 or 32768 (depends on how fast your CPU is).

If the WB program doesn't see your SDR, it should give you an error message to that effect. If it doesn't give you the error message but you don't see anything, the initial setting for the "Contrast" slider may be too low - try increasing it until you see dark blue background in the waterfall. You will probably need to use the Zoom slider to zoom in and give you a reasonable span on the waterfall.

Once the WB spectrum is displaying, check to see whether frequency markers are being displayed properly on the WB waterfall. If they aren't, the UDP broadcast from N1MM+ is probably not set up correctly (127.0.0.1:13063). If everything looks OK in the WB window, it is time to open the N1MM+ Spectrum Display window. Set the source to "For all other radios, source named" - the only one on the popup list should be Waterfall Bandmap.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 03:05 PM, @chuck43 wrote:
GD,

I know I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, however right now I feel dumber than a rock.

Have a RTL2832U R820T2 SDR connected to the K3s IF Out then USB to computer.

Have the ExtIO.dll installed in the Waterfall directory   Which is in the root directory of Documents along with N1MM+.

I get no indication on the spectrum display.

Am confused as to what to put in the spectrum source, have tried call sound card based SDR, or
the ExtIO.  Exactly what should be entered I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck N7BV

Chuck

Thanks Rich.

Have found two dll files - one extio_rtl and one extio_rtl2832 both "produce Rtl device was found but could not be opened.  Used by another application or ZADIG not installed".  Never heard of zadig!!

73, Chuck N7BV

ve3ki

I don't know much about the RTL dongle - but a Google search turned this up:
<https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/zadig/>.

Also, make sure there is no other program open that uses the RTL, and if WB gives you a message saying it is in use when nothing else is using it, try shutting down WB and restarting it.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 06:35 PM, @chuck43 wrote:
Thanks Rich.

Have found two dll files - one extio_rtl and one extio_rtl2832 both "produce Rtl device was found but could not be opened.  Used by another application or ZADIG not installed".  Never heard of zadig!!

73, Chuck N7BV

Chuck

GM Rich,

Before your last I did something dumb and checked off the two port boxes on the broadcast page for UDP.

Now N1mm won't start!  Imagine I need to go into an INI file and change something?  Or do I have to do a completer reinstall?

Tks.  Chuck N7BV

ve3ki

I find it surprising that simply checking those two boxes would cause the program not to start - but if you want to uncheck them by editing the ini file, open the ini file with Notepad, look for a section called [ExternalBroadcast], and delete any lines that look like IsBroadcastxxx=True (xxx might be Radio or Spots or ...). Save the ini file. That will uncheck those boxes.

If there is something more serious wrong in the ini file, look in the same folder for files with names like n1mm logger.ini.Saturday.bak and so on. Find one from a day when you know the program worked. Rename the present n1mm logger.ini file to something else (such as n1mm logger.ini.bad), rename the known-good file to n1mm logger.ini, and restart the program.

In the worst case, if none of the day-of-the-week named backups works, you can simply rename the ini file so that there is no file called n1mm logger.ini in the folder and start the program. You will have to reconfigure from scratch, and the program will also give you the option of starting over with a brand-new empty database.

If *that* fails, it may be time to think about reinstalling, but not before.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 01:03 PM, @chuck43 wrote:
GM Rich,

Before your last I did something dumb and checked off the two port boxes on the broadcast page for UDP.

Now N1mm won't start!  Imagine I need to go into an INI file and change something?  Or do I have to do a completer reinstall?

Tks.  Chuck N7BV

Chuck

Thanks, Changing to a bak from earlier yesterday did the trick.

Have a bunch of honey dues so will get back to you later.

Thanks your help.

73, Chuck N7BV