Looking to upgrade

HB

Gentlemen...
This is my first post to the group.  I am considering buying a new HF rig.

My operating position consists primarily of an Icom IC-7600.  I have used it for several years and really like the user interface.  BUT, its performance in the presence of strong signals - especially adjacent signals is poor in my opinion.

I saw (and heard) a demonstration of a K3s in a very strong adjacent signal environment and the adjacent signal was completely rejected - no interference at all.  I am seriously considering replacing my 7600 with a K3s (like buying American too!) but am overwhelmed at the number of options available.

I have enjoyed just about any operating style and radio configuration available (except having a "real" dual receive) with the 7600.  My other accessories that I will use with a new radio include: AL-1200 amplifier, PK-232sc+ (soundcard, HF packet, FSK RTTY, and a little PACTOR), PC running DXLabs, and a Heil Proset.  I operate primarily SSB with some digital.  With digital, I send a fair amount of RTTY (really like the sound of FSK RTTY with the PK-232sc+).  I'm trying to get back into CW - never learned much past 5WPM and I struggle with that today.  I also do a little 2m SSB, but my old Drake 2m SSB rig (running a Henry 2m amplifier) lacks some function and I would like to add that to a station rig.  I use a couple of beverage antennas for listening and a dipole and a few beams for transmitting.  I don't want to go backwards or have to give up any flexibility.  The newer 7610 seemed like the next rig for me, but the strong signal issue remains.  I have never really looked at a K3 - seemed liked an expensive little box with not very many bells and whistles, but after hearing one, I may be wrong.

Convince me to switch!!

Hank
K4HYJ

Mike Flowers

This should do it:

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Aug 27, 2018, at 6:57 AM, HB <hbjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Smith

I would also look here:  http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

KU4NZ  RAS

On Aug 27, 2018, at 7:26 PM, Mike Flowers <mike.flowers@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Hank:

Well your question posted here is like getting into a bee hive and expecting to find honey.  You will get answers and opinions from many different operators.

The nice thing about the K3S, in addition to its superior performance,  you can start with a basic radio and upgrade it to your own needs and preferences.  I moved to the K3S from a long history of another US made notable radio brand.  Up until I put the K3S on the desk, I felt that I owned and used a very good performance radio.   Well, I quickly found out the K3S is head and shoulders above the others in performance.   The receiver is super quiet.   The TX and RX audio is excellent.  And I found it to be a radio which I could configure exactly with options to my needs.   It is not loaded with whistles and bells that I don't need.   Thus I am no longer restricted to the "cookie cutter" radios of other brands and models.

With the K3S you won't need the interface for digital and RTTY modes thus eliminating equipment and cables and connectors.   It is handled by a single standard USB cable between the radio and computer.   And as you go to the digital modes, any TX EQ and compression is negated and the correct mode and input is automatically selected.   The values of your choice will be restored when you return to SSB.    Your AL-1200 will drive easily with the K3S.  And you can configure the K3S power output per band so the amp is correctly driven based on the band and drive requirement.

As to customer support and forward thinking, the Elecraft K3 which is near 10 years old, can be upgraded in hardware to the performance of the current K3S.  With other brands, you'll be lucky to have support for a 10 year old radio,  much less the ability to upgrade the hardware in the future.

The K3S manual is available for free download on the Elecraft site.  I suggest you download it, print it out and read it.  It discloses what the radio can do.   It is very easy to configure and easy to use.  Menus are simple and in English and not in meaningless acronyms.

With my station configuration, a K3S transceiver, KPA500 solid state amp, and KAT500 ATU, with 2 wire antennas and a 4 element 6M yagi, I can work 160M through 6M with touching anything but the VFO knob on the radio.   Everything precisely follows and in effect  my antenna system appears flat from 160M - 6M,  I run 500 watts just as though I had a 500 watt transceiver, any mode.  And I have only one cable between the radio and computer.

Note what many to most of the DXpeditions are using for equipment.   There is a reason for that decision.   The Elecraft K3S can deal successfully with the worst of environment, both physical and electrical, and provide outstanding performance under difficult conditions.

K3S - 10163
KPA500 - 3519
ATT500 - 1807

On 8/27/2018 8:57 AM, HB wrote:
[...]

I commented earlier and neglected to say review the receiver performance as listed on the Sherwood Engineering site under Receiver Test Data.  It is sorted and presented as Narrow Spaced performance.

Bob, K4TAX

On Aug 27, 2018, at 8:57 AM, HB <hbjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Hank,

Sherwood's table does place the K3S very near the top as sorted on 2 kHz IMDDR3, but this downplays another important parameter: blocking dynamic range (at the far left in the table). The K3S has about 20 dB better BDR than many rigs in the table, and nearly 30 dB better than some of the direct-sampling SDRs. This translates directly to the sort of strong-signal rejection observed by K3S (and K3) users at field day and in multi-transmitter contest stations.

At one of the first DXpeditions that used the K3 (Ducie Island), operators told us they were running a 30 meter CW station and a 30 meter RTTY station about 1 kHz apart. Neither operator could detect any side effects from the other. The rig has only gotten better since then.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Aug 27, 2018, at 8:57 AM, HB <hbjr@optilink.us> wrote:

[...]

Hank,

Over the years I've had Kenwood's and Yaesu's ... all pretty decent rigs. I had been wanting to get an Elecraft for a couple of years and the deal was cinched when a friend of mine let me borrow his KX3. The operation and capability of the KX3 knocked my socks off. Yes, I returned my friend's KX3 and he has since added a K3S Line (panadapter, tuner, amplified) to his shack. The purchase of my K3 convinced him he needed (or wanted) a K3S.
The following week I listed my Yaesu, sold it and ordered my K3. Mine happened to be one of the last K3 rigs produced before the K3S announcement. The great folks at Elecraft added a couple items to my rig due to timing of my order, etc..
I've continued to add modules and features to my K3 and there are still items I can add should I get the serious need for same.
Elecraft support is top shelf, rig's operation and capabilities are simply superb. Never, ever experienced such with my prior rigs.
I'm about to be fully retired and this is the rig I had been wanting for that approaching time-frame ... I got it a tad early and so very glad I did.

73 Nolan Kienitz – KI5IO
KI5IO@gmx.us

* On 2018 27 Aug 19:15 -0500, HB wrote:
I have enjoyed just about any operating style and radio configuration
available (except having a "real" dual receive) with the 7600.
When you get the chance to experience diversity receive with the present
band conditions, nothing less will be a consideration for you.

Even not using the sub receiver in diversity mode, I have found a number
of good uses for it over the past three weeks since installing it.

Convince me to switch!!
I can't do that. All I can say is that in the nearly eight years of my
owning my K3, none of the other latest offerings have tempted me. I did
buy a very clean TS-520SE four years ago for nostalgia.

One consideration is that my desk space is limited. The large physical
offerings from the "other" guys takes them out of consideration.

My K3 purchased in autumn 2010 replaced an FT-920 that I had purchased
in 2000 and upgraded with about every INRAD option available. I took a
real bath on that '920 when I sold it! In years prior I had the
opportunity to operate an FT-1000MP and FT-1000MP MkV and neither one
impressed me enough to buy one to replace the FT-920. Over the winter
of 2009/2010 I heard a lot of chatter on the bands about the K3. I did
a lot of reading and joined the mailing lists, sold the '920 after
working my first KS QSO Party in September 2009 and ordered the K3 with
the only extras being 2.1 kHz and 500 and 250 Hz filters and the 100W
PA.

I've since added the internal tuner, support for the P3, new
synthesizer, and most recently the second receiver and bandpass filter
board to enable reception below 500 kHz. The modularity of the radio is
most attractive and even though I've upgraded it incrementally over the
nearly eights years that I've owned it, the latest upgrades allowed me
to take advantage of recent engineering improvements without having to
buy the radio all over again.

Enjoy your decision.

73, Nate, N0NB

Web: http://www.n0nb.us GPG key: D55A8819 GitHub: N0NB

Steve

Hank,  let me put in a good word for the K3S.  I build the full Elecraft line about four years ago and have since gone from the K3 to the K3S.  Amazing performance.  Don't let the business like front panel fool you into thinking it does not perform better than the rigs with all the colored lights.

I work with a very serious field day group that runs several stations, commonly with two stations running on the same band simultaneously.  The Elecraft gear is the only equipment in the group that does not suffer from overload from the adjacent transmitters.  As far as the options, it is practical to get a fairly basic 100 Watt K3S and then add the options at a later date.  This is something you can do fairly simply as it required no soldering to add additional boards to add more capability.  The DSP is so excellent that I find that lots of additional filters are not needed unless you are in a very high RF environment.

The K3S is ideal for digital modes as it requires only one USB cable to your computer to fully integrate the radio to the computer.  Additionally it will send and receive some digital modes internally without the need of a computer.

I have had a few occasions to call Elecraft to get assistance configuring my equipment.  They are generous with their time and go out of their way to make sure you are getting the most out
of your equipment.

Downloads of newer versions of firmware could not be easier, much simpler than the other major manufacturers methods.
Steve
WM6P

Marsh <marsh308@...>

I'm not trying to convince you to pick either the K3S or the ICOM 7610. I'm just pointing out some Rob Sherwood test results if you're not already aware of them

You might want to check out http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Yes, the K3S does have better Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced (2kHz)

Either one you pick will be a great transceiver.

73,
Marsh, KA5M   Spaced
(d
Range
Narrow Spaced
(dB)

* On 2018 28 Aug 10:59 -0500, Marsh via Groups.Io wrote:
I'm not trying to convince you to pick either the K3S or the ICOM
7610. I'm just pointing out some Rob Sherwood test results if you're
not already aware of them
You might want to check out http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
Rob gives a synopsis of the tests he performs which is quite helpful:

http://www.sherweng.com/documents/TermsExplainedSherwoodTableofReceiverPerformance-RevF.pdf

I've almost been very interested in the Filter Ultimate (dB) figure. I
don't like filter blowby one bit. I'm pleased to say that I don't ever
recall experiencing it with my K3.

73, Nate, N0NB

Web: http://www.n0nb.us GPG key: D55A8819 GitHub: N0NB

Lewis Cheek <lewischeek@...>

FWIW:  When I lived in Virginia I had a 3 position mult-op station, one position was a SO2R set-up with a pair of K3s. I had lots of antennas and lived within two miles of two other contest stations.

I also worked part-time for a major ham radio dealer and thus had access to all of the flagship rigs to try out.

The ONLY rigs that I could operate on same band while the other two stations were running were the Elecraft K3s.

I now own a flex, because of spectrum display, if and when Elecraft releases a K3 style rig with I/Q output I'll move back from Flex.

73
Lew
N4CO

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 11:56:38 AM EDT, Marsh via Groups.Io <marsh308@...> wrote:

[...]

Buzz Dean - KB7FD

Hank,
i’m running a K3 and K3s.  The entire Elecraft ecosystem from email lists to Elecraft-supplied support to 3rd party accessories makes it a pleasure to work the many aspects of ham radio. My interests range from Emcomm to newbie DX and now FT8. The modularity of the K3-Kx3 family has made that pretty painless.

The 2m option was a snap to install. I find the VHF repeater world’s requirements to be well supported from a rig feature set. But, I do feel in the minority as 2m use seems to be regarded just slightly above CBrs but that’s not Elecraft.

Last, I’m recently retired from a career in software development leadership. That perspective helps me value Elecraft’s measured approach to new feature addition while remembering to do a great job in supporting their installed base. I know my investment in K-everything will have a long life and I can focus on the fun of our sport not the frustration of a short-sighted vendor.
--
Buzz - W6BZZ

Alex OE3JTB

Edited

Hi Hank
I have a K3 modified to the S model, but with no USB sound card, because I have a MicroKeyer II here, which does all digital modes.
2m is realized with DB6NT transverter, behind is a Expert 1K for HF and BEKO PAs for VHF.
Before I have Kenwood 950 SDX (that was near on the K3, as also the TS-850). A FT-2000 with AC0C modifacation was also before the K3.
My K3 happend by chance, because a friend sold one.
The receiving difference is amazing, but the main argument for the K3 was he is a light weight and he is made by active HAMS, so the functions and knobs are very thoughtful. Once a clever setup has done, you have not do do much menu changes for all modes, in digital modes (I use also DXLAB and WSJT-X) all changed, which are needed are done by the programms.
Besides I have a 7300, which is a good radio for RX/TX, but all the ICOM radios have this touch sensitve TFT/LED display.
I dont like it at all, remember at the first 756, a display for exchange is hard to find. Even a TS-990 has such a display but there are nor longterm experiences, how they work in a couple of years.
I have no good experiences with spare parts for the TS950, so I sold it.
And there must be many reasons for DX Peditions, why they use K3(S).
Summerized my decision for the K3 are
Small form factor which very good parts inside :-)
thoughtful handling
no big displays and spare parts avialibility after years
many connectors at the backside

And for SSB good sound, you dont need any Heil W2IHY etc. (all sold) only a KOSS SB45 or YAmaha CM100 for outstanding TX sound (cost 30 $)
Its a long keeper for me
73 Alex, OE3JTB

Besides just now my K3 was and is on air for the European VHF championship at OE1W