[Elecraft_K3] k3dspupgrd

mikerodgerske5gbc

I think the enhancements were audio related. If you have no complaints, it may not be worth it.

From what I remember, comments have been a mixed bag.

73
Mike R

Find me on "Zello", a walkie talkie or handi talkie type app. I'm listed as KE5GBC. I'm mostly on late at night.

On Aug 15, 2016, at 6:24 PM, "djkowalewski@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

I have an older K3, s/n 1312 (10/2008), and I'm thinking about purchasing the K3DSPUPGD, trying to find out if it's worth it or not. wondering if I will notice a change in the receiver performance or audio. Having a hard time finding reviews on that enhancement. Your input is appreciated.

George Danner

I did the upgrade by swapping out boards.

My recall = The major change was the addition of a low pass filter to eliminate a “leak through” of the D to A clock.
At the time, there were complaints by several users that there was a high frequency noise in the K3 that was tiring when using the K3 for long periods.
Also improved the low freq response of the audio – don’t remember the complaint.

As a pilot & motorcyclist of more than 40 years, my hearing at high frequencies is limited; so I did not see a significant difference between the 2 DSP boards. If I had been in my 20s or 30s, I probably would have noticed the change.
When I went to work at that age, I would hear the TV monitors 15 kHz singing until a bit into my shift when I became accustomed to the sound.

I would recommend contacting Elecraft service to determine if the upgrade is worth the cost.

73 George AI4VZ

I think the enhancements were audio related. If you have no complaints, it may not be worth it.

From what I remember, comments have been a mixed bag.

73
Mike R

I have an older K3, s/n 1312 (10/2008), and I'm thinking about purchasing the K3DSPUPGD, trying to find out if it's worth it or not. wondering if I will notice a change in the receiver performance or audio. Having a hard time finding reviews on that enhancement. Your input is appreciated.

David Kowalewski <djkowalewski@...>

Thanks George for the reply, I also ride and the hearing is'nt what it use to be either! I like the K3 a lot, I just am after the biggest bang for my buck when it comes to mods, I only work CW and am more a casual operator. Thanks again George
73’s
WA2OXZ
Dave

On Aug 16, 2016, at 10:24 AM, 'Gmail - George' gdanner12@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

[...]