[Elecraft_K3] MFJ-905K3

William Conkling <bconk75@...>

Oh, you mean the MFJ knock-off.

Not putting 3rd party ATU in my radio. No thank you!

Cost???

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 PLUG-IN AUTO TUNER BOARD FOR ELECRAFT K3 XCEIVER?  Has anyone seen one of theses?

Keith

Keith KV5J

$200.00

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:57 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3]" wrote:

Oh, you mean the MFJ knock-off.

Not putting 3rd party ATU in my radio. No thank you!

Cost???

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 PLUG-IN AUTO TUNER BOARD FOR ELECRAFT K3 XCEIVER?  Has anyone seen one of theses?

Keith

William Conkling <bconk75@...>

I wouldn't try it.

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

$200.00

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:57 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

Oh, you mean the MFJ knock-off.

Not putting 3rd party ATU in my radio. No thank you!

Cost???

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 PLUG-IN AUTO TUNER BOARD FOR ELECRAFT K3 XCEIVER?  Has anyone seen one of theses?

Keith

Keith KV5J

Don't drink so much Kool-Aid.  MFJ isn't the only maker of parts for the K3-K3s.  Many of the better radios made have been made better by 3rd party parts.
Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:34 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3]" wrote:

I wouldn't try it.

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

$200.00

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:57 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

Oh, you mean the MFJ knock-off.

Not putting 3rd party ATU in my radio. No thank you!

Cost???

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 PLUG-IN AUTO TUNER BOARD FOR ELECRAFT K3 XCEIVER?  Has anyone seen one of theses?

Keith

harry latterman <harrylatterman@...>

Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new MFJ-939Y for my FT-991.  After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what he/she is doing.  The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise.  New talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I also have the KAT500.... Love them both..

73 Harry  K7ZOV

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

The "smarts" for the Elecraft K3/K3S tuner are in the rig's
firmware/processor. This is not the case of a fully formed
"replacement" for the tuner/wattmeter/processor system and
any replacement tuner would need to have the same component
(L/C) values in order to work correctly with the rest of the
rig.

Given the same circuit design and network values, the only
opportunity for MFJ too save cost is to reduce the cost of
the parts. To me that means two things ... lower quality
and less efficiency.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 1/23/2016 8:34 PM, harry latterman harrylatterman@yahoo.com
[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

William Conkling <bconk75@...>

I'm all ears. Who else makes internal parts to fit a K3 or K3S?

I like the Kool-Aide

...nr4c. bill

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:34 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

I wouldn't try it.

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

$200.00

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:57 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

Oh, you mean the MFJ knock-off.

Not putting 3rd party ATU in my radio. No thank you!

Cost???

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 PLUG-IN AUTO TUNER BOARD FOR ELECRAFT K3 XCEIVER?  Has anyone seen one of theses?

Keith

dalej <dj2001x@...>

Made in China perhaps?

Dale, k9VUJ

On 23, Jan 2016, at 19:34, "harry latterman harrylatterman@yahoo.com [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I also have the KAT500.... Love them both..

73 Harry K7ZOV

Don't drink so much Kool-Aid. MFJ isn't the only maker of parts for the K3-K3s. Many of the better radios made have been made better by 3rd party parts.
Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:34 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@gmail.com [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I wouldn't try it.
...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@yahoo.com [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

$200.00

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:57 PM, "William Conkling bconk75@gmail.com [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Oh, you mean the MFJ knock-off.

Not putting 3rd party ATU in my radio. No thank you!

Cost???

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

On Jan 23, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Keith Ennis nelasat@yahoo.com [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

PLUG-IN AUTO TUNER BOARD FOR ELECRAFT K3 XCEIVER? Has anyone seen one of theses?

Keith

Keith KV5J

" Given the same circuit design and network values, the only
opportunity for MFJ too save cost is to reduce the cost of
the parts. To me that means two things ... lower quality
and less efficiency. "

or Elecraft's profit is very high.

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 9:48 PM, "'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [Elecraft_K3]"

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
> Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
> MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
> can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
> typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
> have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
> he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
> talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
> MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....
>
> 2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
> also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

dalej <dj2001x@...>

Keith,

Why don't you buy one, install it in your K3, (if you have one) and report back.

It appears you are attempting to either sell these or entice others to try it first.

Anyway good luck and I hope it works out for you.

73
Dale, K9VUJ

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

Jim Cox <jcox123@...>

Amen.....

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Olli

How do you know, Joe? Might be a question of profit calculation as well. Don't know, just sayin' ... ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA
Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
> Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
> MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
> can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
> typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
> have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
> he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
> talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
> MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....
>
> 2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
> also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

Keith KV5J

I'm not trying to sell anything.  Everyone else it trying to sell the KAT3A.  I have owned an Elecraft K3 starting in 2009 and have upgraded to a new K3s.  I don't need the ATU but plan to order one as soon as I return to the States.  I'm just not the kind to sit with blinders on and drink Kool-Aid all day.  I just saw the product yesterday and only asked if anyone had seen the atu.

73

Keith, KV5J

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
> Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
> MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
> can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
> typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
> have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
> he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
> talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
> MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....
>
> 2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
> also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Elecraft_K3-digest@...
    Elecraft_K3-fullfeatured@...

dalej <dj2001x@...>

Well Kieth you said more than what you wrote below. Kool-aid, Elecraft overpriced, MFJ $200, quoted other posters and more. I didn’t see anyone trying to sell the KAT3. I have one, but never use it. I have the KAT500 and it is excellent, tunes more than 10:1 mismatch.

I like Elecraft gear, frankly it’s the gear I’ve stuck to longer more than any others in my 56 years of hamming due to performance, adjustability, customer service to name a few..

So enjoy that K3s, let us know how you like the MFJ tuner. I always like to hear about new gear, but at the end of the day I have yet to find anything that I like better or performs better than my Elecraft gear. I hear the Icom 7851 is very good, I’ve not seen any test reports on it’s receiver performance yet, however at $14000 I am not interested, besides I don’t have the room, I had a 7800 and it took up a significant part of my desk plus it was a back breaker, I can’t handle big heavy rigs and shipping costs alone are a drain on the pocketbook.

73
Dale, k9vuj

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Joe Subich, W4TV

I doubt that Elecraft would be padding their profit by $100 or
MJF would be selling their product for essentially no profit.

Admittedly, if MFJ were copying Elecraft's design and using the
K3/K3S on board processor they could certainly build in a lot
less for R&D costs. If that were the case and I was Elecraft,
I would see if there was a way to distinguish among the KAT3,
KAT3A and MFJ-903K3 and refuse to work with the MFJ version.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 1/24/2016 8:38 AM, Oliver Dröse droese@necg.de [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
How do you know, Joe? Might be a question of profit calculation as well.
Don't know, just sayin' ... ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 24.01.2016 um 03:48 schrieb 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@subich.com
[Elecraft_K3]:

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....

2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

Ronald Settle

Keith,

Having purchased a number of MFJ items upon my return to ham radio, I must make a comment.  I purchased 9 different items to outfit my shack from MFJ and had to repair, out of the box, 8 out of 9 of those items to make them usable.   To purchase one more MFJ item for my shack would truly require blinders on my part.  It is my humble opinion that MFJ is lacking in quality and quality control for many if not all of the items they sell.  I will gladly give my business to companies with demonstrated quality, if that is drinking the kool-ade, I will drink away.

Let us know how that ATU works for you.

73
Ron
WM9Q

Keith KV5J

I don't think Elecraft would become "that kind of company".  Most Hams hate "that kind of company".

Keith

On 1/24/2016 8:38 AM, Oliver Dröse droese@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
> How do you know, Joe? Might be a question of profit calculation as well.
> Don't know, just sayin' ... ;-)
>

> 73, Olli - DH8BQA
>

> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>

> Am 24.01.2016 um 03:48 schrieb 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@...
> [Elecraft_K3]:
>>

>> The "smarts" for the Elecraft K3/K3S tuner are in the rig's
>> firmware/processor. This is not the case of a fully formed
>> "replacement" for the tuner/wattmeter/processor system and
>> any replacement tuner would need to have the same component
>> (L/C) values in order to work correctly with the rest of the
>> rig.
>>
>> Given the same circuit design and network values, the only
>> opportunity for MFJ too save cost is to reduce the cost of
>> the parts. To me that means two things ... lower quality
>> and less efficiency.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> ... Joe, W4TV
>>
>> On 1/23/2016 8:34 PM, harry latterman harrylatterman@...
>> [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
>>> Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
>>> MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
>>> can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
>>> typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
>>> have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
>>> he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
>>> talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
>>> MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....
>>>
>>> 2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
>>> also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

Scott Ka9p

What might be instructive is to look on eHam at the number of MFJ tuner reviews, for example, and count the number of tuners that average below 4.0.

Reviewing that data you wouldn't have to be much a kool aid drinking fan boy to conclude that Elecraft quality might be a better bet.

73 Scott ka9p

[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
> Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
> MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
> can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
> typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
> have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
> he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
> talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
> MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....
>
> 2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
> also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

William DeLoach

Hi to all,

In 2013 I sent a MFJ 259B in for an Out of Warranty Repair.  Almost 6 months later, I got it back!  This story has been posted eHam Reviews, Category--Amateur Radio Equipment Repair.

If there is another source for similar products, I always chose them.

73
Bill K4WP

w3qt_mike

Hi Scott,

I'm a K3s user looking forward to expanding my Elecraft line.  I think Elecraft quality is better, and their customer service/support is hands down superior.  Exercise caution, however, when looking at eHam reviews.  In statistical analysis we would never use "voluntary" polls (reviews are a form of poll) because they are notoriously unreliable.  I've written eHam reviews, so I'm not opposed to them per se.  People who "volunteer" responses, however, usually are on a mission.  They love it or hate it for one reason or another which may have nothing to do with performance.  I look at the reviews, but only the 1s, 2s, and 3s, because I want to know what's driving the negativity.  I suspect at least a few of MFJ's ratings are what they are because of a herd mentality against MFJ.  Some MFJ products are fine.  Some aren't.  I've had both.  Science, like ARRL Labs or Sherwood, beats anecdote.  eHam reviews typically are anecdotal and therefore unreliable.

73,
Mike, W3QT