[Elecraft_K3] Mic adjustment

William Conkling <bconk75@...>

Go back to the manual and look in the section on setting up the mic. You should turn Cmp to zero first. In Menu under mic sel set to proper connection (f or r) and High audio now look in the book and there is a note on setting an extra high gain by pressing the 7 key. Heil dynamic mics are low output mics so you need a lot of gain.

Once you get the ALC bars right then you start adding Cmp.

...nr4c. bill

On Jan 9, 2016, at 1:56 PM, Mike Morrow w3qt@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

New K3s owner here trying to set up for SSB operation.  I am unable to see any ALC indication when adjusting the mic volume control, even with the control fully open.  Compression is adjusted for less than 10dB and is reflected on the compression scale.  Signal sounds fine on Monitor, RF meter shows full output, and that is confirmed on an external wattmeter.  I'm using a Heil Pro Set Elite - 6 headset.  Shouldn't I be seeing some deflection on the ALC meter?  Thanks for any help or suggestions.

73,
Mike, W3QT

w3qt_mike

On 1/9/2016 9:34 PM, William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

<<< Did that.  Started playing with compression when no ALC was present to see if there was an issue there. >>>

In Menu under mic sel set to proper connection (f or r) and High audio now look in the book and there is a note on setting an extra high gain by pressing the 7 key. Heil dynamic mics are low output mics so you need a lot of gain.

<<< The problem.  F/R connection was OK.  Audio was set to Low because Heil advises to set it to Low.  Here's a quote from their webpage and the K3 recommendations:  "What Kind of Mic? We highly suggest our dynamic element microphones (HC-7, HC-5.1 , HC-6, Goldline GM series or PR-781 type). In this case, while setting up the MAIN: MIC SEL menu, tap [I] to toggle to "LOW" Mic Gain, and be absolutely certain that Mic Bias is off ..."  Your suggestion was correct.  I have been using Icom for years and pretty much accepted Heil recommendations because they worked well with the "notorious" audio of the Icoms.  I know Heil mics are low output but assumed, based on the web page, that setting the K3s to "L" was the setting to match the low output.  I went back and looked at Fred Cady, and he writes to set it to High as well.  Think I'll drop Heil Sound a note and suggest they review the Elecraft suggestions. >>>

Once you get the ALC bars right then you start adding Cmp.

...nr4c. bill

<<< Thanks for your reply and suggestions, Bill.  Appreciate your time.  All is OK now. >>>

73,
Mike, W3QT

William Conkling <bconk75@...>

Thanks for the "Thanks"!

I hadn't looked at the Heil page in a long time but my experiences with several of his mics put me on the right track.
Glad you are enjoying your new radio. I love my K3S.

...nr4c. bill