[Elecraft_K3] Re: Verizon FIOS not finding www.elecraft.com

dalej <dj2001x@...>

It comes up blank page with "small file size test" here using Comcast.

I do not have a problem accessing Elecraft web site.

Dale, K9VUJ

On 04, Jan 2016, at 17:01, "wa6hhq_lists@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

It appears its not a DNS problem, but it is specific to Verizon and how it transfers web page data from our web site.

We've been able to reproduce it through remote access to several of our customer's (who use verizon) PCs. It appears to be related to page size and possible proxy MTU settings at Verizon.

Brandon here at HQ created created a test page. (Its a small blank page.)

http://www.elecraft.com/blank.html

This page will help test MTU incompatible settings between network providers.
The file size of the blank page is small enough to pass most MTU settings in one single packet.
We suspect the Verizon FIOS users will be able to load the blank page, but not regularwww.elecraft.com pages.

We suggest users load the blank page, and then try to load our www.elecraft.com homepage.
They should send the results to Verizon for further inspection of their internal network.

As far as we can tell, the web server is working just fine. All other ISPs do not appear to have the loading issue.

This appears to be Verizon FIOS and DSL specific as the regular Elecraft web page loads OK through Verizon 4G here.

One other thought, if you are familiar with MTU settings on your router (which usually are set to 1500, you might try settign it to something like 1496. That might kick Verizon back into geat.

We're still digging into it form this end.

73,
Eric
elecraft.com
=====

---In Elecraft_K3@..., <ab2tc@...> wrote :

Hi,

Not likely the cause. It has been established by the folks on the Elecraft reflector that the likely cause is a failure to establish an HTTP connector. Try:

ftp://elecraft.com/

It works, although it's slow. This means hat are no routing problems, which would be the case if DNS info was not up to date. I suspect that the Verizon folks were mislead by the timeout on the 4th hop in tracert, which is a red herring. The tracert succeeds all the way to elecraft.com

AB2TC - Knut

---In Elecraft_K3@..., <jpescatore@...> wrote :

I spent time yesterday on the phone with a live Verizon person. I let them remotely control my PC, they ran a traceroute and brought on a network person - who said the problem is that Elecraft needs to update/republish their DNS info for that site.

Doesn't make much sense to me, since non-FIOS users don't have the problem, but forwarded info to support@... in case it does make sense to their web/IT folks.

73 John K3TN

lloyd chastant

eric
test page works..ftp works but no homepage
I've tried every thing.all works except elecraft homepage
hr using verizon fios and all worked ok until last day or so
Lloyd W3NF

---In Elecraft_K3@..., wrote :

I spent time yesterday on the phone with a live Verizon person. I let them remotely control my PC, they ran a traceroute and brought on a network person - who said the problem is that Elecraft needs to update/republish their DNS info for that site.

Doesn't make much sense to me, since non-FIOS users don't have the problem, but forwarded info to support@... in case it does make sense to their web/IT folks.

73 John K3TN

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Elecraft_K3-digest@...
    Elecraft_K3-fullfeatured@...

w6vyred@...

For what it's worth - the FTP site can be accessed but the K3 utility times out trying to download.

16:45:34 K3 MCU revision 05.38. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s.
16:45:51 Opening connection to ftp.elecraft.com
16:46:01 Copying files to D:\Elecraft\K3 Software\K3 Prod\Prod 5.38
16:46:01 Copied K3UtilityVersionInfo.txt from Elecraft
16:46:30 FtpGetFile completed with error 0x00002EE2: The operation timed out
16:46:30 Ready
16:46:30 Serial Port is closed
16:46:30 Serial Port COM2 is open
16:46:30 Attempting to contact K3 on port COM2 at 38400 bit/s
16:46:30 K3 MCU revision 05.38. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s.

Bob  W6VY

John Spigel <jms@...>

This could turn into an interesting discussion on how web servers,
clients and routers negotiate packet sizes. I'm no IT guru, but in my
readings, a maximum packet size (MTU) is set in the clients router/pc
and the browser communicates this to the web server so a maximum packet
size is sent. If the communication fails between client and server a
default larger size may be sent by the web server and rejected as too
large by the client. The problem could be on either end and I'm guessing
in this case the problem rests with Verizon, but would try adjusting my
MTU locally. From my reading on the Cisco site, 1492 bytes seems to be
the magic number. Always something new to learn.
73, John W1AN

---In Elecraft_K3@..., <ab2tc@...> wrote :

[...]

Yahoo Groups Links

John Spigel <jms@...>

For what it's worth. the MTU packet size was tested. From my QTH the maximum MTU size appears to be 1464. Yours may vary.
John W1AN

Copiead and pasted from the RUN Command window:
C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping elecraft.com -f -l 1464

Pinging elecraft.com [63.249.121.93] with 1464 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 63.249.121.93:

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping elecraft.com -f -l 1465

Pinging elecraft.com [63.249.121.93] with 1465 bytes of data:

Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

On 1/5/2016 00:50, w6vyred@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

For what it's worth - the FTP site can be accessed but the K3 utility times out trying to download.

16:45:34 K3 MCU revision 05.38. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s.
16:45:51 Opening connection to ftp.elecraft.com
16:46:01 Copying files to D:\Elecraft\K3 Software\K3 Prod\Prod 5.38
16:46:01 Copied K3UtilityVersionInfo.txt from Elecraft
16:46:30 FtpGetFile completed with error 0x00002EE2: The operation timed out
16:46:30 Ready
16:46:30 Serial Port is closed
16:46:30 Serial Port COM2 is open
16:46:30 Attempting to contact K3 on port COM2 at 38400 bit/s
16:46:30 K3 MCU revision 05.38. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s.

Bob  W6VY

John Spigel <jms@...>

Ops! I mistakenly called this an MTU packet size test. MTU size includes overhead above the data,
28 bytes possibly. This is all new to me too! I checked and see my router MTU is set to 1492.
John W1AN