[Elecraft_K3] GPS 10 MHz reference

bruce.beford@...

My Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO feed the ext ref on my K3, and my HPSDR systems, among other do-dads. I have a small LCD display that is controlled by a PIC chip, fed by the RS232 output of the Thunderbolt. It keeps me posted on the status of the Trimble, and also happens to display the time....

There was a guy out of China selling them for a while, but I don't see them right now. It was originally published it as a DIY project on the web. A little Google search turned up this:

http://www.ko4bb.com/Timing/GPSMonitor/

I see he also now sells an advanced kit, as well.

Of course, this doesn't automatically update the clock in the K3, but- with this staring me in the face all the time, I don't rely on the clock in the K3. I use the K3 to display other things...

73,

Bruce N1RX

Mel Farrer <farrerfolks@...>

I think I will look into putting a 10 MHz reference clock chip to 32+ KHz and drive the PCB and take the cheap clock chip out....  A thought.

Mel

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:39 PM, "mikerodgerske5gbc@..." wrote:

Just think, if the clock were extremely accurate, you'd forget how to set it so you see they are actually doing you a favor. HiHi!

It's probably close enough for guvment work. Harty har har!

Merry Christmas
Mike R

Bluegrass white snow
      - Patty Loveless

On Dec 21, 2013, at 11:42 AM, <farrerfolks@...> wrote:

Hi Carl,

The clock in the K3 is notoriously inaccurate.  My Trimble GPS is routed throughout the shop equipment.  Would like to run a cable to the ham op position to my K3.

Mel, K6KBE

mikerodgerske5gbc

Just think, if the clock were extremely accurate, you'd forget how to set it so you see they are actually doing you a favor. HiHi!

It's probably close enough for guvment work. Harty har har!

Merry Christmas
Mike R

Bluegrass white snow
      - Patty Loveless

On Dec 21, 2013, at 11:42 AM, <farrerfolks@...> wrote:

Hi Carl,

The clock in the K3 is notoriously inaccurate.  My Trimble GPS is routed throughout the shop equipment.  Would like to run a cable to the ham op position to my K3.

Mel, K6KBE

Mel Farrer <farrerfolks@...>

It does.  The 10 MHz goes to the HP8920, 5246 and DDS synthesizer.  I have to put in a small distribution amp to feed the house and op station.

Mel, K6KBE

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:22 PM, Carl Moreschi wrote:

Your Trimble just needs to have a 10 mhz reference output.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 12/21/2013 12:42 PM, farrerfolks@... wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> The clock in the K3 is notoriously inaccurate. My Trimble GPS is routed
> throughout the shop equipment. Would like to run a cable to the ham op
> position to my K3.
>

> Mel, K6KBE

Carl Moreschi

farrerfolks@...

Hi Carl,

The clock in the K3 is notoriously inaccurate.  My Trimble GPS is routed throughout the shop equipment.  Would like to run a cable to the ham op position to my K3.

Mel, K6KBE

Carl Moreschi

What clock are you talking about? Do you have a GPS receiver?

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 12/20/2013 6:11 PM, Mel Farrer wrote:
Thanks Carl,

This is a new accessory. I called and ordered it. I did ask the BAD
question as to whether this would update the @#%!% clock. No answer to
that. Fingers crossed, hi.

Mel, K6KBE

On Friday, December 20, 2013 2:18 PM, Carl Moreschi
<n4py3@...> wrote:
There's a BNC connector on the back of the GPS receiver. You just
connect it to the 10 mhz ref osc input on the K3. You do need the
K3EXREF option board for this.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

Mel Farrer <farrerfolks@...>

On Friday, December 20, 2013 2:18 PM, Carl Moreschi wrote:

There's a BNC connector on the back of the GPS receiver. You just
connect it to the 10 mhz ref osc input on the K3. You do need the
K3EXREF option board for this.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 12/20/2013 4:47 PM, farrerfolks@... wrote:
> Carl,
>
> How do you connect it to the K3? Thanks.
>
> Mel, K6KBE

Carl Moreschi

There's a BNC connector on the back of the GPS receiver. You just connect it to the 10 mhz ref osc input on the K3. You do need the K3EXREF option board for this.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 12/20/2013 4:47 PM, farrerfolks@... wrote:
Carl,

How do you connect it to the K3? Thanks.

Mel, K6KBE

farrerfolks@...

Carl,

How do you connect it to the K3?  Thanks.

Mel, K6KBE

Carl Moreschi

Yes, I use it. I have a GPS unit that was a take out from a cell tower. It's a Z3801A and you can find them on the internet. It has a GPS antenna that picks up GPS satellites. It uses them to produce and incredibly accurate 10 mhz reference oscillator. This guarantees my K3 is dead on frequency.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 12/20/2013 4:05 PM, farrerfolks@... wrote:
Anyone the info on using the 10 MHz reference for the K3/KX3?

Mel, K6KBE