From: Elecraft_K3@... [mailto:Elecraft_K3@...] On Behalf Of Dave Sharred
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:04 PM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] K3 - Kit build observations for comment

Hi;

Myself and a good friend (G4XUM) have recently purchased and built up 2  K3’s. All went pretty smoothly, but there were a few observations. Our radios were pretty well loaded, with 100W PA, and 2nd receiver too.

1)      I didn’t enjoy putting in the 2nd Rx, neither would I like to remove it again! ! ; Anyone considering a purchase would be well advised to be sure that they specify all of their required filters first, since the filters live under the 2nd RX.

2)      I am not sure if you can install the 2nd KSYN3 board (for dual rx) before 1st test; but this would seem to be a good idea, if you intend fitting  the 100W PA – access is severely restricted when the KPA 3 enclosure is installed

3)      The flying lead from the Ant sockets to their connectors R 11; I would have expected these to be coaxial, not just flying leads; the ANT 1  one  in particular looks too long (see p24 on the Kit manual). Is this in any way detrimental to 6m operation ??

We are looking forward to using our new radios on our trips in future. We already used 2 K3’s last year from S79K; and clearly were impressed enough to buy some for ourselves!

73

Dave

G3NKC

Dave Sharred

HI Moe;

You asked :

Just wondering how long did it take to build the units..  ??

I saw quoted 10 hours; and I think that was about right for our 1st one. We were methodical; and actually worked as a pair - one with the instructions, the other doing the work.  2 is definitely better that one I think; I am certain 1 person would be slower.  The 2nd is coming on much faster; we just need to reconvene for the 2nd RX and amp; which will take maybe 2 hours.

73

Dave
G3NKC

Maurice Farissier

Thanks Dave !

 I’ll be buying a new kit  K3/100 next month after payday.  I am still up in the air about what filters I’ll be going to get.  Any recommendation – 90% CW, 5% RTTY, 5% SSB, all light contest at times.

I’m excited as this is the first rig in 20 years since my last TS 940 AT.

De KA1S, Moe.

Just wondering how long did it take to build the units..  ??

I saw quoted 10 hours; and I think that was about right for our 1st one. We were methodical; and actually worked as a pair - one with the instructions, the other doing the work.  2 is definitely better that one I think; I am certain 1 person would be slower.  The 2nd is coming on much faster; we just need to reconvene for the 2nd RX and amp; which will take maybe 2 hours.

73

Dave

G3NKC

David Bunte <dpbunte@...>

Moe -

I bought mine at Dayton, it arrived the following Thursday and was on the air 30 hours later.  I really took my time... and joined my wife for a couple of social obligations, in addition to eating all my meals with her.  No crumbs in the rig that way.

With so many filter options it can be hard to decide.  MOST users I have heard from indicate that the 400Hz filter is sufficient for ALMOST all CW challenges... and if you do only about 5% SSB the 2.7 kHz should be just fine.  I also got the 1 kHz filter to make tuning the band on CW a bit easier.  I don't own a mic, so you know where you can find me on the bands.  I have a friend who is a very serious RTTY DXer and he says there may be times when the 200 Hz filter would be helpful.

Enjoy,

Dave
K9FN

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Maurice Farissier <mauricef@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob Sherwood

Richard Fjeld <rpfjeld@...>

Moe,

I'd second this. I built a K3/100.  I lost count after eight hours due to interruptions, and such. I worked late at night when tired. I did not install a 2nd receiver, but put in some other goodies.

I double checked, and even triple checked things at times due to having old eyes. I told people it seemed to take about 24 hours of time. Go slow. You will be glad you did when it comes up working.

We used to have a saying at work- "Why is there never time to do things right the first time, but always time to correct the mistakes the second time?"  Making a mistake the first time can be costly as well.

Dick, n0ce.

Just wondering how long did it take to build the units..  ??

I saw quoted 10 hours; and I think that was about right for our 1st one. We were methodical; and actually worked as a pair - one with the instructions, the other doing the work.  2 is definitely better that one I think; I am certain 1 person would be slower.  The 2nd is coming on much faster; we just need to reconvene for the 2nd RX and amp; which will take maybe 2 hours.

73

Dave

G3NKC

Ed Gilliland <w5tm@...>

Good.

Do you want me to send you the pictures we took in Tennessee?

Gil

Just wondering how long did it take to build the units..  ??

I saw quoted 10 hours; and I think that was about right for our 1st one. We were methodical; and actually worked as a pair - one with the instructions, the other doing the work.  2 is definitely better that one I think; I am certain 1 person would be slower.  The 2nd is coming on much faster; we just need to reconvene for the 2nd RX and amp; which will take maybe 2 hours.

73

Dave

G3NKC

Dave Sharred

Some good comments and opinions about choices of filters, That will help prospective purchasers decide.

We elected for 8 pole 400Hz CW filters;   in addition to the 2.7Khz SSB filter we got a 2.1KHz one as well.

Not really interested in data modes, so figured that was enough.

We matched our filters on the 2nd RX’s too, since we do envisage some full diversity.

By the way Moe  (and anyone else still considering a purchase) – remember that filter switches to the next narrowest one automatically, when you wind the bandwidth down. This is a neat feature in my books.  It was emphasised before; these are roofing filters too!

73 and enjoy your purchase

Dave

G3NKC

 I’ll be buying a new kit  K3/100 next month after payday.  I am still up in the air about what filters I’ll be going to get.  Any recommendation – 90% CW, 5% RTTY, 5% SSB, all light contest at times.

I’m excited as this is the first rig in 20 years since my last TS 940 AT.

De KA1S, Moe.

Just wondering how long did it take to build the units..  ??

I saw quoted 10 hours; and I think that was about right for our 1st one. We were methodical; and actually worked as a pair - one with the instructions, the other doing the work.  2 is definitely better that one I think; I am certain 1 person would be slower.  The 2nd is coming on much faster; we just need to reconvene for the 2nd RX and amp; which will take maybe 2 hours.

73

Dave

G3NKC

Hulen Smith

I built mine in 5 hours and was calibrated in 1 hour and most of this time was for reading. I'm a slow reader.

Hulen - K5HCS