[Elecraft_K3] Re: Rig ergonomics and performance comparison

Rick <mrfarm@...>

It will be interesting to see an improved scope, particularly if it can read below the noise. I would have to say that my Pro 2 will display anything above the noise (along with the noise) and you can watch signals go in and out of the noise in real time. Having the scope always available is something that is unlikely to be duplicated any time soon by the competition at that level of performance.

In fact, are you sure that the ICOM spectrum scope is not from a DSP engine? I believe that they are using some fairly decent DSP to create such a good display.

The thing that I find more interesting with the add on software/hardware, is the ability to act as a VNA! Now that is pretty impressive.

73,

Rick, KV9U

bill_w4zv wrote:

I agree for a "built-in" scope, but I believe both resolution
bandwidth and dynamic range will be significantly better using
SDR-based displays. For those who want to locate weak signals buried
in noise, the Softrock/Rocky combination will be FAR superior to any
of the built-in scopes available today. If you look at the displays
at the bottom of the Rocky page I referenced you will see what I mean.

73, Bill

Tom Whiteside <tomw@...>

Bandpass filters depending on the type buy you from 30 to 50dB - I can't imagine a serious multi-multi contest station not using these filters regardless of the radio type... Having said that, our K2 had zero problems hearing other stations in our North American Field Day a couple of weekends ago and the other brand X radios could not say the same thing... This was 100W stations... I hope to have a K3 to add to the K2 for our effort next year.... Had we been running 1500W, even with the separation we had, I'm sure we would have had some effects on even the K2...

I've tried using my subreceiver on my Orion I in diversity mode in 160M contests with terrible results - even using lower input Beverages for the subrx and using the transmit antennas on the much more robust main rx.... This technique works great for DXing but all the overload products on the poorer subrx graphically demonstrate the vagaries of overload products... Now with a K3....

It will be interesting, indeed!

Tom N5TW