Date   

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: K3 Remote

mikerodgerske5gbc
 

It has the potential to be serious, I've heard of ft817's being fried in that way. 

73
Mike R

7!
Absolutely Awesome 

On Nov 10, 2016, at 6:50 PM, w2blc@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

Post haste!!!  Miniature lightning kills modern electronics devices.

I am very surprised this was not considered in the design of the K-Pod.  I will do something with it this weekend - it is winter and the season of serious static discharge.

Bill W2BLC K-Line


Static discharge and the K-Pod

w2blc@...
 

Larry wrote: 

As winter approaches and the humidity drops, I find myself developing a static electric charge when rolling around in my office chair on a plastic mat on carpet.
 
This is not an issue with the well-grounded gear in my shack – except for the K-Pod. If I mistakenly reach for my K-Pod after sliding around in my chair, I discharge a significant spark into the K-Pod - which shuts off the K3 (!?)
 
I performed some simple resistance measurements and find that the case of the K-Pod is not tied directly to the radio’s ground. My preliminary thought is to use a mounting hole on the bottom of the K-Pod for an auxiliary ground connection.
 
Has anyone else encountered this problem and developed a different solution? (aside from suggesting a ground wire on my chair – I’ve already dismissed that idea)
 
-larry (K8UT)

and I replied:

Post haste!!!  Miniature lightning kills modern electronics devices.

I am very surprised this was not considered in the design of the K-Pod.  I will do something with it this weekend - it is winter and the season of serious static discharge.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

**** Sorry about moving this into a new post, but I thought the topic was rather important. Sorry if I offended anyone's sensitivities.

 


Re: [Elecraft_K3] K-Pod and static electricity

Jim Miller <jtmiller47@...>
 

Larry

We've replaced many of the plastic mats in our house with the rollup bamboo ones from Office Depot. We find the chairs roll better and no static.

73

jim ab3cv

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 7:52 AM, 'Larry Gauthier (K8UT)' k8ut@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:


As winter approaches and the humidity drops, I find myself developing a static electric charge when rolling around in my office chair on a plastic mat on carpet.
 
This is not an issue with the well-grounded gear in my shack – except for the K-Pod. If I mistakenly reach for my K-Pod after sliding around in my chair, I discharge a significant spark into the K-Pod - which shuts off the K3 (!?)
 
I performed some simple resistance measurements and find that the case of the K-Pod is not tied directly to the radio’s ground. My preliminary thought is to use a mounting hole on the bottom of the K-Pod for an auxiliary ground connection.
 
Has anyone else encountered this problem and developed a different solution? (aside from suggesting a ground wire on my chair – I’ve already dismissed that idea)
 
-larry (K8UT)




Re: [Elecraft_K3] Dumb Question

David Mackey
 

I have seen this also, but its usually a "lingering finger". 

David Mackey

On Nov 10, 2016, at 10:01, wham727@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

I have seen the same thing on the VOX for some time, not sure when it started but it drives me nuts 😫

In fact, I just glanced down at the K3 and the VOX is off at this moment and i sure didn’t turn it off.  I do enable the test mode when I leave the operating position to keep the cat from operating.  She likes to sleep on the desk and at times her rear will bump a key.  Like you, I have never been able to pinpoint exactly how the VOX gets switched off.  I am a 99.9% CW op and have the complete S3 line on at most times.  I have a hunch that changing bands does it but not all the time.  Perhaps my finger lingers too long on the down side of the band rocker switch?  If so, somehow the timing changed at some point as this is a recent (within a year) issue.

I keep all of the software up to date so latest versions of the SW is installed in KPA, KAT and K3.

73,
Bill-AK5X





On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:54 AM, AOL mail <wham727@...> wrote:

Speaking of VOX, what happened lately to cause the VOX to be turned off at random it seems...I never turn it off and work 99.9% CW.  As of late, it seems to randomly turn off...others see that too?  I do turn the radio to ‘test” to keep my cat from sending CW while I am away..wonder if that is related?  Haven’t been able to pinpoint when it happens but I never “HOLD” the band down to turn it off.





On Oct 13, 2016, at 6:42 AM, William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:


Turn on VOX. 

...nr4c. bill


On Oct 12, 2016, at 11:36 PM, Richard Lawn rjlawn@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

I'm a fairly new K3 user and just got it back after some upgrades and replacement of VFO encoder. I must have rest something because I suddenly don't have any RF power out when keying CW. Any hints please?
TNX
73
Rick, W2JAZ





Re: [Elecraft_K3] Dumb Question

wham727@...
 

I have seen the same thing on the VOX for some time, not sure when it started but it drives me nuts 😫

In fact, I just glanced down at the K3 and the VOX is off at this moment and i sure didn’t turn it off.  I do enable the test mode when I leave the operating position to keep the cat from operating.  She likes to sleep on the desk and at times her rear will bump a key.  Like you, I have never been able to pinpoint exactly how the VOX gets switched off.  I am a 99.9% CW op and have the complete S3 line on at most times.  I have a hunch that changing bands does it but not all the time.  Perhaps my finger lingers too long on the down side of the band rocker switch?  If so, somehow the timing changed at some point as this is a recent (within a year) issue.

I keep all of the software up to date so latest versions of the SW is installed in KPA, KAT and K3.

73,
Bill-AK5X





On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:54 AM, AOL mail <wham727@...> wrote:

Speaking of VOX, what happened lately to cause the VOX to be turned off at random it seems...I never turn it off and work 99.9% CW.  As of late, it seems to randomly turn off...others see that too?  I do turn the radio to ‘test” to keep my cat from sending CW while I am away..wonder if that is related?  Haven’t been able to pinpoint when it happens but I never “HOLD” the band down to turn it off.





On Oct 13, 2016, at 6:42 AM, William Conkling bconk75@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:


Turn on VOX. 

...nr4c. bill


On Oct 12, 2016, at 11:36 PM, Richard Lawn rjlawn@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

I'm a fairly new K3 user and just got it back after some upgrades and replacement of VFO encoder. I must have rest something because I suddenly don't have any RF power out when keying CW. Any hints please?
TNX
73
Rick, W2JAZ





K-Pod and static electricity

Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\) <k8ut@...>
 

As winter approaches and the humidity drops, I find myself developing a static electric charge when rolling around in my office chair on a plastic mat on carpet.
 
This is not an issue with the well-grounded gear in my shack – except for the K-Pod. If I mistakenly reach for my K-Pod after sliding around in my chair, I discharge a significant spark into the K-Pod - which shuts off the K3 (!?)
 
I performed some simple resistance measurements and find that the case of the K-Pod is not tied directly to the radio’s ground. My preliminary thought is to use a mounting hole on the bottom of the K-Pod for an auxiliary ground connection.
 
Has anyone else encountered this problem and developed a different solution? (aside from suggesting a ground wire on my chair – I’ve already dismissed that idea)
 
-larry (K8UT)


Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Remote

William Conkling <bconk75@...>
 

If you have a spare K3 it only takes a serial cable. Contact support. 

...nr4c. bill


On Nov 9, 2016, at 10:45 AM, jafeustle@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

Looking for information regarding the K3 Remote and K3S. I'd like to remote control my K3S from my second-floor office during the winter months. My basement gets kind of cold, particularly at night. Anyone have any experience with this add-on?


73

Joe Feustle, N8JF


K3 Remote

Joseph Feustle
 

Looking for information regarding the K3 Remote and K3S. I'd like to remote control my K3S from my second-floor office during the winter months. My basement gets kind of cold, particularly at night. Anyone have any experience with this add-on?


73

Joe Feustle, N8JF


Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

John Spigel
 

It's Monday. Now after some final static checking of likely parts on the KXV3 board and finding nothing suspicious I reassembled.  I went back to the area around D25 on the RF board and found "sensitive" points with a dental pick. Noise picked up at the common point of D25.  I finger jumpered D25 with a small .01 cap to see if the diode was in the "on" state as it should be in receive. This also would prove antenna signal was present there. Noise picked up from all antenna inputs, and on main and sub Rx. To further test D25 I set the rig in Tx test mode and also cranked power to zero as an extra safety measure. With my Hi-Z multimeter I checked to see if bias was present on the diode on  both sides to see that Tx/Rx switching was present. It was. Reading of the Rx side was about +6V on Rx only. On the Tx side it was +2.8V when keyed. This confirmed my suspicion that the diode was the culprit. (Bias on RX present but no load from diode) Changed D25. Now working. Out of circuit test showed Rx side of D25 open.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Hope others will benefit from my experience. Note: In my case D25 failure did affect both receivers.

73, John W1AN


On 11/4/2016 15:30, John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

OK Dave, Randy. I pulled out the KXV3 board. Mine is a newer revision KXV3-1 RevE. It has discrete, beefier diodes replacing  D5. (D5 and D6).   I don't have the updated schematic, but assume no other changes. Diodes look good on the multimeter. But now I have to put the repair aside and wait to do the jumper testing. Higher priorities. Back at it Monday.

73, John W1AN


On 11/4/2016 05:40, 'Dave Hachadorian' k6ll.dave@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

Try this:
 
Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

 
 
 
From: John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3]
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:19 PM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF
 
 

I have a casualty from the CQWW DX contest this past weekend. I'm not
sure when it occurred but the damage was done to an idle K3, powered but
left on an antenna, probably on the same band as a KW station.

K3 lost sensitivity on both main and sub receiver. Plenty of white noise
but no signals heard thru Ant 1/2. Signals are very weak but readable on
the Rx Antenna (beverage} input. I'm guessing the problem is to a
common element near the RX input. but to save time I need some guidance
since board layouts are not provided. Any suggestion where should I look
will be appreciated. Perhaps this problem has happened before. I'm able
to do smd repairs if necessary.

73, John W1AN




Re: [Elecraft_K3] KX3 & KXPA100 failure

William Conkling <bconk75@...>
 

Check all power cables and connectors. Make sure PowerPoles are properly assembled. 

13.8 volts is marginal for KXPA100. Really needs 14+ rec and 13.8 to 14 on key down to get full power. 

Also check antenna system. MIs-match here can cause issues. 

...nr4c. bill


On Nov 6, 2016, at 9:20 AM, k0acp@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

Hello:


I have been attempting to run in the sweepstakes this weekend, using my kx3, kxpa100 powered by a powerwerx power supply. My antenna is a 500' loop tuned with an AH4.  My coax is LRM400 and goes through an grounded entry panel.


I am driving the kx3 with N1MM and using macros to drive the my kx3.


After about 5 Q's, the kxpa will drop off in the middle of my exchange, some where between my call

and my check "K0ACP 83", so I took out my call and went from class to check "U 83."  I was watching my KX3 PS Voltage display and noticed that the receive voltage was 13.8 but that xmitting at 50+ watts the voltage progressively dropped from 13.8 to 12.5 then 12.3.  Shortening my exchange  allowed me to make another 5 or so q's then the kxpa started to drop again. I switched powerwerx power supplies with a spare that I have -- brand new in box. I exhibited the same behavior.  So it does not seem to be the power supply.


I have recabled the configuration and the problem persists.  


Then about 1:45 this morning, my kx3, running without kxpa -- I was going it at qrp, somewhere around 10 watts, started to give a Hi Current warning.  Time to call it a night.


Wondering if the group has any suggestions?


Side note: In spite of this problem, I was able to make ~75 q's QRP - this radio is amazing!


73 es God Bless,


Art/K0ACP


KX3 & KXPA100 failure

Arthur Peters
 

Hello:


I have been attempting to run in the sweepstakes this weekend, using my kx3, kxpa100 powered by a powerwerx power supply. My antenna is a 500' loop tuned with an AH4.  My coax is LRM400 and goes through an grounded entry panel.


I am driving the kx3 with N1MM and using macros to drive the my kx3.


After about 5 Q's, the kxpa will drop off in the middle of my exchange, some where between my call

and my check "K0ACP 83", so I took out my call and went from class to check "U 83."  I was watching my KX3 PS Voltage display and noticed that the receive voltage was 13.8 but that xmitting at 50+ watts the voltage progressively dropped from 13.8 to 12.5 then 12.3.  Shortening my exchange  allowed me to make another 5 or so q's then the kxpa started to drop again. I switched powerwerx power supplies with a spare that I have -- brand new in box. I exhibited the same behavior.  So it does not seem to be the power supply.


I have recabled the configuration and the problem persists.  


Then about 1:45 this morning, my kx3, running without kxpa -- I was going it at qrp, somewhere around 10 watts, started to give a Hi Current warning.  Time to call it a night.


Wondering if the group has any suggestions?


Side note: In spite of this problem, I was able to make ~75 q's QRP - this radio is amazing!


73 es God Bless,


Art/K0ACP


Re: K3 and RS232 serial to USB adapter

Steven Lott Smith KG5VK
 

Brian

Thanks for the reply
I already tried a new cord (USB to R232 cable)
no Joy !

I ordered the K3USB Upgrade kit Friday
that will get me off my butt once it arrives and I will pull the covers and see if I can find out what is going on with the 100 PA

Which I now discover is no longer working !

Cheers!
steve
KG5VK


Re: K3 and RS232 serial to USB adapter

Brian Deuby
 

I had a similar experience this spring. Following a very large nearby lightning bolt, I could no longer communicate with my K3 via my logging software. After much trial and error I determined that the surge from the lightning bolt had apparently  damaged my cable (but fortunately nothing else). When I replaced the cable I was up and running again.

Now, in addition to my other normal precautions, when an electrical storm threatens  I shut down and up plug my computer. I suppose simply pulling the USB cable would suffice most of the time - but I prefer the more conservative approach.

I hope this helps.

Brian, K8GRR 


Re: [Elecraft_K3] not sure my K3 to USB adapter is working.....

Brian Deuby
 

Steve,

I ran into a similar problem after a large thunder clap last spring. I was no longer able to communicate with with the K3 via MacLogger DX. It turned out my cable was damaged by the surge from the (large) nearby lightning bolt and when I replaced it everything worked fine.

Now, when electrical storms threaten, in addition to my other precautions, I shut down my computer and unplug it. (I suppose an alternative would be to leave the computer turned on and disconnect the USB cable - but I prefer the more conservative approach).

I hope this helps.

Brian, K8GRR


On Nov 3, 2016, at 9:33 PM, kg5vksteve@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

 

Once plugged in to a new computer and even the old lap top

It has both the red and the blue lights on on the rs232 end all the time
even during reboot (once the port has power) the lights never flicker

I did have some items damaged by lightning (the Shack computer LAN card for one)
is this another one of the damaged items ?   :)

Thanks for any input and praying the rig is OK and all I need is a new cord*

*KUSB  USB Adapter for the original K3 (Uses the FTDI chipset)


cheers!
steve
KG5VK



Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

John Spigel
 

OK Dave, Randy. I pulled out the KXV3 board. Mine is a newer revision KXV3-1 RevE. It has discrete, beefier diodes replacing  D5. (D5 and D6).   I don't have the updated schematic, but assume no other changes. Diodes look good on the multimeter. But now I have to put the repair aside and wait to do the jumper testing. Higher priorities. Back at it Monday.

73, John W1AN


On 11/4/2016 05:40, 'Dave Hachadorian' k6ll.dave@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

Try this:
 
Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

 
 
 
From: John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3]
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:19 PM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF
 
 

I have a casualty from the CQWW DX contest this past weekend. I'm not
sure when it occurred but the damage was done to an idle K3, powered but
left on an antenna, probably on the same band as a KW station.

K3 lost sensitivity on both main and sub receiver. Plenty of white noise
but no signals heard thru Ant 1/2. Signals are very weak but readable on
the Rx Antenna (beverage} input. I'm guessing the problem is to a
common element near the RX input. but to save time I need some guidance
since board layouts are not provided. Any suggestion where should I look
will be appreciated. Perhaps this problem has happened before. I'm able
to do smd repairs if necessary.

73, John W1AN



Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

Randy Farmer W8FN
 

Oops! I gave you the wrong designation. It's **D5** on the KXV3 board. K6LL's message has all the detail. I bought my replacement diode from Mouser (P/N 711-BAP64-04W-T/R) for a unit price of $0.283. I used Mouser because they're local and I get things quickly. Elecraft can furnish the part, too. Sorry for the misinformation. As an old wise old once said: "It ain't what you don't know that hurts you; it's what you know that ain't true."

73...
Randy, W8FN


On 11/3/2016 10:12 PM, John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

OK, I've got the KXV3A-1 RevE and KXV3-2 RevA boards. I can't find D25 on the old version schematics. If you meant the RF board, there is a D25 near the T-R switching circuit at connector BPF_RF. That would be a good place to start. Now hopefully I can find D25 accessible. Let you know.

73, John W1AN



Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

Dave Hachadorian
 

Try this:
 
Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

 
 
 

From: John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3]
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:19 PM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF
 
 

I have a casualty from the CQWW DX contest this past weekend. I'm not
sure when it occurred but the damage was done to an idle K3, powered but
left on an antenna, probably on the same band as a KW station.

K3 lost sensitivity on both main and sub receiver. Plenty of white noise
but no signals heard thru Ant 1/2. Signals are very weak but readable on
the Rx Antenna (beverage} input. I'm guessing the problem is to a
common element near the RX input. but to save time I need some guidance
since board layouts are not provided. Any suggestion where should I look
will be appreciated. Perhaps this problem has happened before. I'm able
to do smd repairs if necessary.

73, John W1AN


Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

John Spigel
 

OK Randy. I found D25 on the bottom of the RF board and it is accessible. On the diode setting on the multimeter D25 reads about .275 from the BPF_RF input to the Rx path, both polarities.  Other side reads .890 one way and .670 the other. These are in circuit readings. So will need further look. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

73, John W1AN


On 11/4/2016 02:17, Randy Farmer w8fn@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

You've doubtless lost D25 on the KXV3 board. Been there, done that. It's a cheap but pretty small surface mount part that needs to be replaced.

73...
Randy, W8FN


On 11/3/2016 5:19 PM, John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

I have a casualty from the CQWW DX contest this past weekend. I'm not
sure when it occurred but the damage was done to an idle K3, powered but
left on an antenna, probably on the same band as a KW station.

K3 lost sensitivity on both main and sub receiver. Plenty of white noise
but no signals heard thru Ant 1/2. Signals are very weak but readable on
the Rx Antenna (beverage} input. I'm guessing the problem is to a
common element near the RX input. but to save time I need some guidance
since board layouts are not provided. Any suggestion where should I look
will be appreciated. Perhaps this problem has happened before. I'm able
to do smd repairs if necessary.

73, John W1AN




Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

John Spigel
 

OK, I've got the KXV3A-1 RevE and KXV3-2 RevA boards. I can't find D25 on the old version schematics. If you meant the RF board, there is a D25 near the T-R switching circuit at connector BPF_RF. That would be a good place to start. Now hopefully I can find D25 accessible. Let you know.

73, John W1AN


On 11/4/2016 02:17, Randy Farmer w8fn@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

You've doubtless lost D25 on the KXV3 board. Been there, done that. It's a cheap but pretty small surface mount part that needs to be replaced.

73...
Randy, W8FN


On 11/3/2016 5:19 PM, John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

I have a casualty from the CQWW DX contest this past weekend. I'm not
sure when it occurred but the damage was done to an idle K3, powered but
left on an antenna, probably on the same band as a KW station.

K3 lost sensitivity on both main and sub receiver. Plenty of white noise
but no signals heard thru Ant 1/2. Signals are very weak but readable on
the Rx Antenna (beverage} input. I'm guessing the problem is to a
common element near the RX input. but to save time I need some guidance
since board layouts are not provided. Any suggestion where should I look
will be appreciated. Perhaps this problem has happened before. I'm able
to do smd repairs if necessary.

73, John W1AN




Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3 Rx Likely hit with RF

Randy Farmer W8FN
 

You've doubtless lost D25 on the KXV3 board. Been there, done that. It's a cheap but pretty small surface mount part that needs to be replaced.

73...
Randy, W8FN


On 11/3/2016 5:19 PM, John Spigel jms@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:
 

I have a casualty from the CQWW DX contest this past weekend. I'm not
sure when it occurred but the damage was done to an idle K3, powered but
left on an antenna, probably on the same band as a KW station.

K3 lost sensitivity on both main and sub receiver. Plenty of white noise
but no signals heard thru Ant 1/2. Signals are very weak but readable on
the Rx Antenna (beverage} input. I'm guessing the problem is to a
common element near the RX input. but to save time I need some guidance
since board layouts are not provided. Any suggestion where should I look
will be appreciated. Perhaps this problem has happened before. I'm able
to do smd repairs if necessary.

73, John W1AN


7961 - 7980 of 35324