Date   

Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Dave (NK7Z)
 

OK, I thought you were serious! :)

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

On 3/2/21 5:57 AM, Wes Stewart via groups.io wrote:
A little attempt at humor.
The only ferrite in my station is the few molded on pieces in pre-made cables.  I've never understood the need for pounds of ferrite in an amateur radio station, other than feedline chokes at antenna feedpoints.
Wes  N7WS
On Monday, March 1, 2021, 5:28:51 PM MST, Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net> wrote:
Why the ground wire?
73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources
On 3/1/21 4:08 PM, Wes wrote:
> Especially the ground wire.
>
>
> On 3/1/2021 11:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:
>>
>> I would install snap-on ferrite beads on *ALL*
>>
>> Wire connected to the K3S………
>>
>> Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824
>>
>
>


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

K9MA
 

I have plenty of them, but not on the K3. Many of the cables to the desktop computer, for example. However, my antennas aren't far away, and I shunt feed the tower on 80 and 160.

73,
Scott K9MA



On 3/2/2021 7:57 AM, Wes Stewart via groups.io wrote:
A little attempt at humor.

The only ferrite in my station is the few molded on pieces in pre-made cables.  I've never understood the need for pounds of ferrite in an amateur radio station, other than feedline chokes at antenna feedpoints.

Wes  N7WS

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 5:28:51 PM MST, Dave Cole <dave@...> wrote:


Why the ground wire?

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

On 3/1/21 4:08 PM, Wes wrote:
> Especially the ground wire.
>
>
> On 3/1/2021 11:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:
>>
>> I would install snap-on ferrite beads on *ALL*
>>
>> Wire connected to the K3S………
>>
>> Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824
>>
>
>






-- 
Scott  K9MA

k9ma@...


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Wes Stewart
 

A little attempt at humor.

The only ferrite in my station is the few molded on pieces in pre-made cables.  I've never understood the need for pounds of ferrite in an amateur radio station, other than feedline chokes at antenna feedpoints.

Wes  N7WS

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 5:28:51 PM MST, Dave Cole <dave@...> wrote:


Why the ground wire?

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

On 3/1/21 4:08 PM, Wes wrote:
> Especially the ground wire.
>
>
> On 3/1/2021 11:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:
>>
>> I would install snap-on ferrite beads on *ALL*
>>
>> Wire connected to the K3S………
>>
>> Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824
>>
>
>






Re: K3 setting for WSJT-X

KE1F Lou
 

Yes I do.

Sound card mHam Keyer II.

Lou


On 3/1/2021 8:49 PM, Bob Hallock wrote:
Lou,
Some thoughts,
Do you have the upgraded  KIO3B?  What is your sound card?
Bob K7TM

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:41 PM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

 > K3 is in Digi Mode A,

Data_A or AFSK_A?

 > VOX on,

Not applicable.  MK II generates hardware PTT if properly configured.

> What other setting have to be right for proper operation?
Are both Line in and Line out connectors firmly seated?

Is MENU:MIC SEL = Line In?

Have you set the K3 Mic Gain *after* selecting Data Submode = DATA_A
*AND* selecting What other setting MENU:MIC SEL = Line In?

Is Windows Volume Mixer (Headset Earphone (microHAM CODEC)) set to
approximately 80%?

Is microHAM Router -> Audio Switching -> FSK/DIGITAL set to Line Input
(rear)?

Have you followed the "Setting Audio Levels" section of the MK II
Users Manual to confirm that all levels/audio routing is correct?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-03-01 6:10 PM, KE1F Lou wrote:
> I have a problem with sending FT8, using my K3/KAT500/KAP500.
>
> The set up receives and decode properly. Keying the K3. But no RF out. I
> have the filters wide open.
>
> The micro Keyer II and WSJT-X are set up properly. Only settings in
> question is the K3.
>
> K3 is in Digi Mode A, VOX on, RF 50, AGC slow. What other setting have
> to be right for proper operation?
>
> 73, Lou KE1F
>
> Ps: it used to work but the computer bugs decided otherwise.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>






Re: K3 setting for WSJT-X

Bob Hallock
 

Lou,
Some thoughts,
Do you have the upgraded  KIO3B?  What is your sound card?
Bob K7TM

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:41 PM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

 > K3 is in Digi Mode A,

Data_A or AFSK_A?

 > VOX on,

Not applicable.  MK II generates hardware PTT if properly configured.

> What other setting have to be right for proper operation?
Are both Line in and Line out connectors firmly seated?

Is MENU:MIC SEL = Line In?

Have you set the K3 Mic Gain *after* selecting Data Submode = DATA_A
*AND* selecting What other setting MENU:MIC SEL = Line In?

Is Windows Volume Mixer (Headset Earphone (microHAM CODEC)) set to
approximately 80%?

Is microHAM Router -> Audio Switching -> FSK/DIGITAL set to Line Input
(rear)?

Have you followed the "Setting Audio Levels" section of the MK II
Users Manual to confirm that all levels/audio routing is correct?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-03-01 6:10 PM, KE1F Lou wrote:
> I have a problem with sending FT8, using my K3/KAT500/KAP500.
>
> The set up receives and decode properly. Keying the K3. But no RF out. I
> have the filters wide open.
>
> The micro Keyer II and WSJT-X are set up properly. Only settings in
> question is the K3.
>
> K3 is in Digi Mode A, VOX on, RF 50, AGC slow. What other setting have
> to be right for proper operation?
>
> 73, Lou KE1F
>
> Ps: it used to work but the computer bugs decided otherwise.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>






Re: K3 setting for WSJT-X

Joe Subich, W4TV
 

K3 is in Digi Mode A,
Data_A or AFSK_A?

VOX on,
Not applicable. MK II generates hardware PTT if properly configured.

What other setting have to be right for proper operation?
Are both Line in and Line out connectors firmly seated?

Is MENU:MIC SEL = Line In?

Have you set the K3 Mic Gain *after* selecting Data Submode = DATA_A
*AND* selecting What other setting MENU:MIC SEL = Line In?

Is Windows Volume Mixer (Headset Earphone (microHAM CODEC)) set to
approximately 80%?

Is microHAM Router -> Audio Switching -> FSK/DIGITAL set to Line Input
(rear)?

Have you followed the "Setting Audio Levels" section of the MK II
Users Manual to confirm that all levels/audio routing is correct?

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-03-01 6:10 PM, KE1F Lou wrote:
I have a problem with sending FT8, using my K3/KAT500/KAP500.
The set up receives and decode properly. Keying the K3. But no RF out. I have the filters wide open.
The micro Keyer II and WSJT-X are set up properly. Only settings in question is the K3.
K3 is in Digi Mode A, VOX on, RF 50, AGC slow. What other setting have to be right for proper operation?
73, Lou KE1F
Ps: it used to work but the computer bugs decided otherwise.


Re: K3 setting for WSJT-X

Dave (NK7Z)
 

Look at the output of the computer...

If it used to work, (and you made NO changes), then you have it wired correctly, and can assume it still is correct.

If something on your computer changed things, then there may be no audio output from the computer. Perhaps something toasted the audio driver, or changed the levels, or changed outputs, etc...

If you find output on the wire feeding the K3, then make sure the K3 is looking at the right audio port.

This is the process I would use first.

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

On 3/1/21 3:10 PM, KE1F Lou wrote:
I have a problem with sending FT8, using my K3/KAT500/KAP500.
The set up receives and decode properly. Keying the K3. But no RF out. I have the filters wide open.
The micro Keyer II and WSJT-X are set up properly. Only settings in question is the K3.
K3 is in Digi Mode A, VOX on, RF 50, AGC slow. What other setting have to be right for proper operation?
73, Lou KE1F
Ps: it used to work but the computer bugs decided otherwise.


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Dave (NK7Z)
 

Why the ground wire?

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

On 3/1/21 4:08 PM, Wes wrote:
Especially the ground wire.
On 3/1/2021 11:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:

I would install snap-on ferrite beads on *ALL*

Wire connected to the K3S………

Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Wes
 

Especially the ground wire.


On 3/1/2021 11:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:

I would install snap-on ferrite beads on ALL

Wire connected to the K3S………

Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824

 



Re: K3 setting for WSJT-X

Dennis Moore
 

How are you getting your xmit audio into the K3, and what is you Mic set to?

Dennis NJ6G

On 3/1/2021 15:10, KE1F Lou wrote:
I have a problem with sending FT8, using my K3/KAT500/KAP500.

The set up receives and decode properly. Keying the K3. But no RF out. I have the filters wide open.

The micro Keyer II and WSJT-X are set up properly. Only settings in  question is the K3.

K3 is in Digi Mode A, VOX on, RF 50, AGC slow. What other setting have to be right for proper operation?

73, Lou KE1F

Ps: it used to work but the computer bugs decided otherwise.


K3 setting for WSJT-X

KE1F Lou
 

I have a problem with sending FT8, using my K3/KAT500/KAP500.

The set up receives and decode properly. Keying the K3. But no RF out. I have the filters wide open.

The micro Keyer II and WSJT-X are set up properly. Only settings in  question is the K3.

K3 is in Digi Mode A, VOX on, RF 50, AGC slow. What other setting have to be right for proper operation?

73, Lou KE1F

Ps: it used to work but the computer bugs decided otherwise.


Re: K3 For Sale, including SP3 Speaker

Ed Gansen <Edgansen@...>
 

Sold, pending receipt of funds

73' Ed - K8DSS


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

K9MA
 

I think it would take extreme amounts of RF in the shack to require ferrite chokes on any of the K3 cables. My shunt fed tower is only 10 meters from the shack, and I know there's a lot of RF flying around on 160, but the K3 has never missed a beat. The water heater and the wireless weather station on the other hand.....

73,
Scott K9MA

On 3/1/2021 2:17 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

Agreed!  I've cleaned up my configuration such that no ferrite chokes are required on any inside cables.   I'm using 3 coax fed antennas with ferrite chokes at the feed point and one balanced fed antenna with the balanced line all the way to the balun on top  of the ATU on the desk.  I have no RFI issues at 500 watts, 160M - 6M, any mode. 

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 3/1/2021 12:50 PM, Rick NK7I wrote:

I would submit that if this was required; the station isn't assembled correctly.  While a few interface cables (USB, unfiltered audio) may need added ferrites (a flaw in the computer, not the radio), if the station is built properly (keeping the RF OUTside the shack) very few ferrite are ever needed.

This includes proper grounding, bonding, using a common mode current choke/transformer AT THE ANTENNA FEED POINT and antennas that are correctly installed (not a random end fed, using the coax as the counterpoise).

There should be zero reason to be required to ferrite all the cables.  Something is radically WRONG if that's required.

73,
Rick NK7I


On 3/1/2021 10:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:

I would install snap-on ferrite beads on ALL

Wire connected to the K3S………

Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824

 

 

 

From: Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:36 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S parasitic oscillation

 

From my experience the ground terminal on the radio  MUST be bonded to the power supply ground.  If nothing else, it reduces the IR drop in the DC cable.   There's other advantages too.

73

Bob, K4TAX

 

On 2/28/2021 9:24 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:

Hello Paul. I had a similar problem but only on 160m. Tore my hair out for a while as well as my cables, hi Ended up being the power supply. I bonded the power supply to the K3s and the problem went away. Every thing else in the shack was bonded.

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 09:50:09 PM EST, Paul Bowen <paulbowen@...> wrote:

 

 

Hi

 

A friend of mine has a K3S he`s 90 years old and does not do the internet so

I have been tasked with helping him find a solution.

I have tried to get support from Elecraft and their just not interested in

helping out the rig has been to the UK dealer at least three times yet still

the problem persists.

They cannot replicate the problem so have washed their hands of it now.

 

The K3S is fine when used with 10 watts and fine with 100 watts into a dummy

load. When used with the ATU and a power above 10 watts the K3S goes into

parasitic oscillation in bands from 80m and above.

All other HF rigs when used with the same setup are fine including a K3,

Icom IC 7300. The K3S serial number is 11871.

 

Cheers

 

Paul

 

M0pnn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com



 


-- 
Scott  K9MA

k9ma@...


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
 

Agreed!  I've cleaned up my configuration such that no ferrite chokes are required on any inside cables.   I'm using 3 coax fed antennas with ferrite chokes at the feed point and one balanced fed antenna with the balanced line all the way to the balun on top  of the ATU on the desk.  I have no RFI issues at 500 watts, 160M - 6M, any mode. 

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 3/1/2021 12:50 PM, Rick NK7I wrote:

I would submit that if this was required; the station isn't assembled correctly.  While a few interface cables (USB, unfiltered audio) may need added ferrites (a flaw in the computer, not the radio), if the station is built properly (keeping the RF OUTside the shack) very few ferrite are ever needed.

This includes proper grounding, bonding, using a common mode current choke/transformer AT THE ANTENNA FEED POINT and antennas that are correctly installed (not a random end fed, using the coax as the counterpoise).

There should be zero reason to be required to ferrite all the cables.  Something is radically WRONG if that's required.

73,
Rick NK7I


On 3/1/2021 10:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:

I would install snap-on ferrite beads on ALL

Wire connected to the K3S………

Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824

 

 

 

From: Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:36 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S parasitic oscillation

 

From my experience the ground terminal on the radio  MUST be bonded to the power supply ground.  If nothing else, it reduces the IR drop in the DC cable.   There's other advantages too.

73

Bob, K4TAX

 

On 2/28/2021 9:24 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:

Hello Paul. I had a similar problem but only on 160m. Tore my hair out for a while as well as my cables, hi Ended up being the power supply. I bonded the power supply to the K3s and the problem went away. Every thing else in the shack was bonded.

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 09:50:09 PM EST, Paul Bowen <paulbowen@...> wrote:

 

 

Hi

 

A friend of mine has a K3S he`s 90 years old and does not do the internet so

I have been tasked with helping him find a solution.

I have tried to get support from Elecraft and their just not interested in

helping out the rig has been to the UK dealer at least three times yet still

the problem persists.

They cannot replicate the problem so have washed their hands of it now.

 

The K3S is fine when used with 10 watts and fine with 100 watts into a dummy

load. When used with the ATU and a power above 10 watts the K3S goes into

parasitic oscillation in bands from 80m and above.

All other HF rigs when used with the same setup are fine including a K3,

Icom IC 7300. The K3S serial number is 11871.

 

Cheers

 

Paul

 

M0pnn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com



 


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Rick NK7I
 

I would submit that if this was required; the station isn't assembled correctly.  While a few interface cables (USB, unfiltered audio) may need added ferrites (a flaw in the computer, not the radio), if the station is built properly (keeping the RF OUTside the shack) very few ferrite are ever needed.

This includes proper grounding, bonding, using a common mode current choke/transformer AT THE ANTENNA FEED POINT and antennas that are correctly installed (not a random end fed, using the coax as the counterpoise).

There should be zero reason to be required to ferrite all the cables.  Something is radically WRONG if that's required.

73,
Rick NK7I


On 3/1/2021 10:42 AM, Ray Maxfield wrote:

I would install snap-on ferrite beads on ALL

Wire connected to the K3S………

Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824

 

 

 

From: Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:36 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S parasitic oscillation

 

From my experience the ground terminal on the radio  MUST be bonded to the power supply ground.  If nothing else, it reduces the IR drop in the DC cable.   There's other advantages too.

73

Bob, K4TAX

 

On 2/28/2021 9:24 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:

Hello Paul. I had a similar problem but only on 160m. Tore my hair out for a while as well as my cables, hi Ended up being the power supply. I bonded the power supply to the K3s and the problem went away. Every thing else in the shack was bonded.

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 09:50:09 PM EST, Paul Bowen <paulbowen@...> wrote:

 

 

Hi

 

A friend of mine has a K3S he`s 90 years old and does not do the internet so

I have been tasked with helping him find a solution.

I have tried to get support from Elecraft and their just not interested in

helping out the rig has been to the UK dealer at least three times yet still

the problem persists.

They cannot replicate the problem so have washed their hands of it now.

 

The K3S is fine when used with 10 watts and fine with 100 watts into a dummy

load. When used with the ATU and a power above 10 watts the K3S goes into

parasitic oscillation in bands from 80m and above.

All other HF rigs when used with the same setup are fine including a K3,

Icom IC 7300. The K3S serial number is 11871.

 

Cheers

 

Paul

 

M0pnn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com



 


Re: K3S parasitic oscillation

Ray Maxfield
 

I would install snap-on ferrite beads on ALL

Wire connected to the K3S………

Ray WA6VAB   K3 # 3824

 

 

 

From: Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:36 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S parasitic oscillation

 

From my experience the ground terminal on the radio  MUST be bonded to the power supply ground.  If nothing else, it reduces the IR drop in the DC cable.   There's other advantages too.

73

Bob, K4TAX

 

On 2/28/2021 9:24 PM, Michael Kopec via groups.io wrote:

Hello Paul. I had a similar problem but only on 160m. Tore my hair out for a while as well as my cables, hi Ended up being the power supply. I bonded the power supply to the K3s and the problem went away. Every thing else in the shack was bonded.

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 09:50:09 PM EST, Paul Bowen <paulbowen@...> wrote:

 

 

Hi

 

A friend of mine has a K3S he`s 90 years old and does not do the internet so

I have been tasked with helping him find a solution.

I have tried to get support from Elecraft and their just not interested in

helping out the rig has been to the UK dealer at least three times yet still

the problem persists.

They cannot replicate the problem so have washed their hands of it now.

 

The K3S is fine when used with 10 watts and fine with 100 watts into a dummy

load. When used with the ATU and a power above 10 watts the K3S goes into

parasitic oscillation in bands from 80m and above.

All other HF rigs when used with the same setup are fine including a K3,

Icom IC 7300. The K3S serial number is 11871.

 

Cheers

 

Paul

 

M0pnn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com



 


Re: 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Charlie T, k3ICH
 

Sorry, should say....on your paddles, not earphones.
C

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie T <pincon@erols.com>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2021 12:50 PM
To: 'Elecraft-K3@groups.io' <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Subject: RE: [Elecraft-K3] 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Better idea yet.....Install a 3.5mm TRS plug on your earphones.

73, Charlie k3ICH




-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Cox, N0UK
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2021 10:59 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Quick update only broken plug problem.

The suggestion use a tap to remove the broken plug tip helped a little. It removed the plug ring and ring insulator, however, the tip of the plugs still trapped in the 1/4” (6.3mm) socket. What’s more, now the ring contact of the socket has sprung back open by a millimetre or two and is not very effectively blocking the extraction of the broken tip.

Word of caution:don’t buy 6.3to 3.5mm adapters from Amazon!

So even if I cannot a tool to engage with the tip, I think rather unlikely that I will also be able to get a second tool into the opening to then depress the ring contact out of the way.

Probably the easiest (note - didn’t say EASY!) option now is going to be to replace the actual paddle socket on the RF board.

In the meantime, at least the standard key jack is still functional and so I can use an external keyer or straight key to send.

Oh, what a palaver!

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org



On Feb 27, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK <chrisc@chris.org> wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion, Jim.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org



On Feb 26, 2021, at 11:31 PM, Jim Shepherd <nvjims@gmail.com> wrote:

You can use a small screw tap like a 1-64 or 2-56 to carefully insert into the hole in the center of the broken off pin and gently turn it until it catches and you can gently pull out the pin. Used this to pull out broken jacks from speaker-mics on handhelds.
73
Jim W6US


Re: 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Charlie T, k3ICH
 

Better idea yet.....Install a 3.5mm TRS plug on your earphones.

73, Charlie k3ICH

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Cox, N0UK
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2021 10:59 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Quick update only broken plug problem.

The suggestion use a tap to remove the broken plug tip helped a little. It removed the plug ring and ring insulator, however, the tip of the plugs still trapped in the 1/4” (6.3mm) socket. What’s more, now the ring contact of the socket has sprung back open by a millimetre or two and is not very effectively blocking the extraction of the broken tip.

Word of caution:don’t buy 6.3to 3.5mm adapters from Amazon!

So even if I cannot a tool to engage with the tip, I think rather unlikely that I will also be able to get a second tool into the opening to then depress the ring contact out of the way.

Probably the easiest (note - didn’t say EASY!) option now is going to be to replace the actual paddle socket on the RF board.

In the meantime, at least the standard key jack is still functional and so I can use an external keyer or straight key to send.

Oh, what a palaver!

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org



On Feb 27, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK <chrisc@chris.org> wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion, Jim.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org



On Feb 26, 2021, at 11:31 PM, Jim Shepherd <nvjims@gmail.com> wrote:

You can use a small screw tap like a 1-64 or 2-56 to carefully insert into the hole in the center of the broken off pin and gently turn it until it catches and you can gently pull out the pin. Used this to pull out broken jacks from speaker-mics on handhelds.
73
Jim W6US


Re: 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

VE9AA - Mike
 

Yeah, I don't know where my XYL got her "crafters tweezers" from, but pretty sure she could pick the antenna off a mosquito through a drinking straw from 1.5" away ;-)

HI

GL Chris.


Re: 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Chris Cox, N0UK
 

Ah - skinnier than my tweezers!

Price seems very reasonable too.

Thanks Mike!
Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Mar 1, 2021, at 10:10 AM, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

SKINNY TWEEZERS

1721 - 1740 of 36291