Date   

FS Elecraft K3

Frank
 

Elecraft K3 Transceiver-S/N 7442

KPA3 100W Power Amplifier

KANT3 Antenna input module

KXV3A RX ant., IF out and Xverter Interface.  Ready for P3.

2.7 khz crystal filter

5 ppm TCXO

Original synthesizers for main and sub receivers. Ready to add sub receiver.

 

Radio used only indoors in a non-smoking environment.  Original owner.  Radio has no issues.  Comes with DC power cable and manuals.

 

Pictures available upon request.

 

Please contact me using my email address listed at QRZ.com.

 

Asking $2000.00 or OBO, includes domestic shipping and insurance.

 

PayPal or cash.

 

Thank you,

 

Frank

K6FW


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

Chuck
 

Thanks, Changing to a bak from earlier yesterday did the trick.

Have a bunch of honey dues so will get back to you later.

Thanks your help.

73, Chuck N7BV


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

ve3ki
 

I find it surprising that simply checking those two boxes would cause the program not to start - but if you want to uncheck them by editing the ini file, open the ini file with Notepad, look for a section called [ExternalBroadcast], and delete any lines that look like IsBroadcastxxx=True (xxx might be Radio or Spots or ...). Save the ini file. That will uncheck those boxes.

If there is something more serious wrong in the ini file, look in the same folder for files with names like n1mm logger.ini.Saturday.bak and so on. Find one from a day when you know the program worked. Rename the present n1mm logger.ini file to something else (such as n1mm logger.ini.bad), rename the known-good file to n1mm logger.ini, and restart the program.

In the worst case, if none of the day-of-the-week named backups works, you can simply rename the ini file so that there is no file called n1mm logger.ini in the folder and start the program. You will have to reconfigure from scratch, and the program will also give you the option of starting over with a brand-new empty database.

If *that* fails, it may be time to think about reinstalling, but not before.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 01:03 PM, @chuck43 wrote:
GM Rich,

Before your last I did something dumb and checked off the two port boxes on the broadcast page for UDP.

Now N1mm won't start!  Imagine I need to go into an INI file and change something?  Or do I have to do a completer reinstall?

Tks.  Chuck N7BV


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

Chuck
 

GM Rich,

Before your last I did something dumb and checked off the two port boxes on the broadcast page for UDP.

Now N1mm won't start!  Imagine I need to go into an INI file and change something?  Or do I have to do a completer reinstall?

Tks.  Chuck N7BV


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

ve3ki
 

I don't know much about the RTL dongle - but a Google search turned this up:
<https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/zadig/>.

Also, make sure there is no other program open that uses the RTL, and if WB gives you a message saying it is in use when nothing else is using it, try shutting down WB and restarting it.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 06:35 PM, @chuck43 wrote:
Thanks Rich.

Have found two dll files - one extio_rtl and one extio_rtl2832 both "produce Rtl device was found but could not be opened.  Used by another application or ZADIG not installed".  Never heard of zadig!!

73, Chuck N7BV


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

Chuck
 

Thanks Rich.

Have found two dll files - one extio_rtl and one extio_rtl2832 both "produce Rtl device was found but could not be opened.  Used by another application or ZADIG not installed".  Never heard of zadig!!

73, Chuck N7BV


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

ve3ki
 

Set the source in WB to the name of the ExtIO.dll file, which must be in the same directory as the WaterfallBandmap.exe file. You will need to check the SDR at IF? check box. The IF frequency is 8215 kHz. You can fine tune using the Offset (Hz) box - you will need to change the value in the Offset box when you change modes (e.g. +/- 1500 Hz in USB/LSB). Also check Auto Correct I & Q, and unless you are on 6m, check Swap I & Q. Start out with the # Freq Bins at 16384 or 32768 (depends on how fast your CPU is).

If the WB program doesn't see your SDR, it should give you an error message to that effect. If it doesn't give you the error message but you don't see anything, the initial setting for the "Contrast" slider may be too low - try increasing it until you see dark blue background in the waterfall. You will probably need to use the Zoom slider to zoom in and give you a reasonable span on the waterfall.

Once the WB spectrum is displaying, check to see whether frequency markers are being displayed properly on the WB waterfall. If they aren't, the UDP broadcast from N1MM+ is probably not set up correctly (127.0.0.1:13063). If everything looks OK in the WB window, it is time to open the N1MM+ Spectrum Display window. Set the source to "For all other radios, source named" - the only one on the popup list should be Waterfall Bandmap.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 03:05 PM, @chuck43 wrote:
GD,

I know I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, however right now I feel dumber than a rock.

Have a RTL2832U R820T2 SDR connected to the K3s IF Out then USB to computer.

Have the ExtIO.dll installed in the Waterfall directory   Which is in the root directory of Documents along with N1MM+.

I get no indication on the spectrum display.

Am confused as to what to put in the spectrum source, have tried call sound card based SDR, or
the ExtIO.  Exactly what should be entered I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck N7BV


Re: K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
 

The IF output frequency is ~8.12 MHz.  Does the dongle tune that low?  The one I used only went down to ~25 MHz.  Of course that was a couple of years ago and things have changed. 

Bob, K4TAX



On Nov 17, 2018, at 2:05 PM, n7bv@... wrote:

GD,

I know I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, however right now I feel dumber than a rock.

Have a RTL2832U R820T2 SDR connected to the K3s IF Out then USB to computer.

Have the ExtIO.dll installed in the Waterfall directory   Which is in the root directory of Documents along with N1MM+.

I get no indication on the spectrum display.

Am confused as to what to put in the spectrum source, have tried call sound card based SDR, or
the ExtIO.  Exactly what should be entered I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck N7BV


K3s Setting Up N1mm+ with RTL-SDR with Waterfall Bandmap

Chuck
 

GD,

I know I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, however right now I feel dumber than a rock.

Have a RTL2832U R820T2 SDR connected to the K3s IF Out then USB to computer.

Have the ExtIO.dll installed in the Waterfall directory   Which is in the root directory of Documents along with N1MM+.

I get no indication on the spectrum display.

Am confused as to what to put in the spectrum source, have tried call sound card based SDR, or
the ExtIO.  Exactly what should be entered I don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck N7BV


Re: Distorted audio from Speaker then Headphones

Mark W2OR
 

For Jim M0CKE,

Hi, Jim.  Re the distorted audio in the K3 on Receive, let us know if you've made any progress.  If no progress : 

If no progress, try a test with the noise blanker both ON, and OFF, and see if there's a difference.
Likewise, try with the DUAL PB both ON, and OFF, and see if there's a difference.
Likewise, try with the AGC both ON, and OFF, at full RG Gain setting clockwise; any difference?  And . . .
Likewise, try with the AGC both ON, and OFF, but with the RF Gain at mid- 12-O'Clock setting, or 2-O'Clock setting.
Send off a note to Support@...  with the results of the above, and ask for their troubleshooting ideas.
Good luck, and please let us know the results of all of the above.    73  //   Mark


K3 as control head with RCForb client?

Gordon LaPoint
 

Is it possible to use the K3 as a control head with the RCForb client, like a K3/0 mini can?   If so is there any documentation on using it and the setup?

Thanks!


--
Gordon - N1MGO


Re: Distorted audio from Speaker then Headphones

MICHAEL LANE
 

Hi Jim, you haven’t change the setting which runs headphones and speakers together, to make the headphones distorted by any chance? Mike


Re: K3 no receive no transmit

Mal
 

Thanks Peter,

I will check that out.

 

73 de Mal WA2TWA

 

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Kohl
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 4:53 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3 no receive no transmit

 

Good morning Mal,

 

Take a look at this:

Saved my day when I had the same porblem...

 

73 de Peter ON4EZJ

 

On 10/11/2018 08:51, Mal wrote:

I had the volume turned down on my K3 with S upgrade.

When I turned the volume back up I had no receive, just noise. I tried transmit and got no swr reading and 0 power when I hit tune.

I changed the power level and the receive came back on for about 10 seconds then went back to noise. I lifted the front of the rig and dropped it down lightly and everything started working properly. Obviously something is loose. Any suggestions?

73 de Mal WA2TWA

 

 


Re: K3 no receive no transmit

Peter Kohl <pkohl1960@...>
 

Good morning Mal,

Take a look at this:
Saved my day when I had the same porblem...

73 de Peter ON4EZJ

On 10/11/2018 08:51, Mal wrote:

I had the volume turned down on my K3 with S upgrade.

When I turned the volume back up I had no receive, just noise. I tried transmit and got no swr reading and 0 power when I hit tune.

I changed the power level and the receive came back on for about 10 seconds then went back to noise. I lifted the front of the rig and dropped it down lightly and everything started working properly. Obviously something is loose. Any suggestions?

73 de Mal WA2TWA

 



Re: timing of K3 keying

Lou Kolb
 

Bob, I have a 3rd party device called the hampod which gives me speech
access to most of the stuff on the display, including the menus. Only
thing I can't do is set audio levels and that only because they are
not brought out to the serial port. At this point, it's highly
unlikely they ever will be but I can't complain. I'm delighted with
what I can do with this great little rig. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/10/18, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv@...> wrote:
Lou,

Yes, that's right, if CONFIG:TX DLY is set too high, the internal keyer
will sound fine (because it compensates), but external keying will sound
too light. Of course if you're using CW QRQ mode by setting CONFIG:CW QRQ
ON, then external keying should only be truncated by about 4 ms, and
CONFIG:TX DLY has no effect at all.

Do you have a screen reader that works with the K3 menus, or some way to
tell what they are set to?

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:23 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bob. Didn't know about that setting and I'll experiment with
it. I should also mention that I do have an upgraded synth board. It
has helped a little, but has not completely solved the problem. Before
I got the new board, I always used QRQ mode, but with the new one,
there's no need. Further, when I use the internal keyer with a paddle,
it sounds great. I only experience the timing problem when running an
external keyer into the straight key jack. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/10/18, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv@...> wrote:
In the K3 CONFIG menu, check TX DLY. Unless you're using a linear
amplifier with slow relays, set it to the minimum value, nor 008. This
will
truncate the leading element (semi break-in), or every element (full
break-in QSK) by about 6 ms. Keying compensation or first element
extension of 6 ms will fix that.

It's easy to accidentally set CONFIG:TX DLY too high. Also, at speeds
above 37 WPM in an original K3 without synthesizer upgrade, keying will
become erratic with excessive jitter if VOX is used instead of a keyer
PTT
output connected to KEY IN. You can also enable CW QRQ mode to
eliminate
the jitter.

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 3:28 PM Lou Kolb <loukolb@... wrote:

Thanks, Joe. Indeed, I would've expected the compensation adjustment
to work better for that reason. I don't know why, but increasing the
weight by a few notches got me closer to the desirable result. I've
tried it with both vox and QsK, and heard only a minimal difference.
and yes, I've listened to it on an independent receiver.
I'm not dissatisfied with what I have, I just wondered why there
should be a need to adjust it in the first place, which is why I
posted the question.
Suffice it to say, when I got the K3 8 years ago, my CW operating
jumped from 50 percent to 75 or so. I still love the rig. Thanks, all,
for your help. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/9/18, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

Lou,

Are you using VOX, QSK or PTT between the K42 and the K3/K3S?

If you are using VOX, "first compensation" is appropriate.
However, if you are using QSK and CONFIG:CW QRQ = OFF, you
may want to adjust "Keying Compensation" (p 12 of the K42
manual) ALT-RIGHT <nn>.

Keying compensation allows adding a fixed time to each element
and is independent of speed. As Hank suggested, try starting
with 5 or 6 ms.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2018-11-09 4:14 PM, Lou Kolb wrote:
Well, I looked up the keying compensation controls for the K42. I
tried adjusting first compensation, then weight. I understand why
you
suggested I adjust only the compensation, Hank, but having tried it
both ways the weight adjustment sounds closer to what it should be,
so
I'll stick with that. I learned long ago to trust my ears and they
rarely let me down. I wonder if the K3S has this issue. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/9/18, Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
Thanks for the manual snipet, Hank but I'm using a screen reader
here
and they don't do pics. But, I have the manual in text form and
will
look it up. Thanks. Lou

On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...>
wrote:

Thanks, Hank for the advice. Just to be clear, I'm adjusting the
compensation on the keyer, not the K3. Correct?
Yes. Far as I know, no K3 adjustment for compensation.

Below is from K1EL manual.

[image: image.png]


On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
You don't want to change weight. Instead adjust Keying
Compensation.
Start
with 6 ms.

CW Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...>
wrote:

For more than 8 years now, I've been the proud owner of
K3-sn4290.
I
use it with an external keyer, the K1EL K42. I do this because
I
like
to send from a keyboard, which the K42 accepts. It makes for
pleasant
rag chewing without glass arm syndrome. I connect the K42 to
the
K3
via the straight key jack. This works, but the timing of the
elements
has always seemed off. The net effect is that the weight of
the
keying
is too light. I know it's the radio and not the keyer, as I've
used
the K42 on other rigs with no problem. I have compensated for
it
by
increasing the weight setting on the K42. This gets it pretty
close
but, to my ear, it's still a tiny bit off. Has anyone else
encountered
this issue? Is there any setting I can change on the K3 to fix
it?
Thanks much. Lou WA3MIX














Re: timing of K3 keying

Bob Wilson, N6TV
 

Lou,

Yes, that's right, if CONFIG:TX DLY is set too high, the internal keyer will sound fine (because it compensates), but external keying will sound too light.  Of course if you're using CW QRQ mode by setting CONFIG:CW QRQ ON, then external keying should only be truncated by about 4 ms, and CONFIG:TX DLY has no effect at all.

Do you have a screen reader that works with the K3 menus, or some way to tell what they are set to?

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:23 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
Thanks, Bob. Didn't know about that setting and I'll experiment with
it. I should also mention that I do have an upgraded synth board. It
has helped a little, but has not completely solved the problem. Before
I got the new board, I always used QRQ mode, but with the new one,
there's no need. Further, when I use the internal keyer with a paddle,
it sounds great. I only experience the timing problem when running an
external keyer into the straight key jack. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/10/18, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv@...> wrote:
> In the K3 CONFIG menu, check TX DLY.  Unless you're using a linear
> amplifier with slow relays, set it to the minimum value, nor 008. This will
> truncate the leading element (semi break-in), or every element (full
> break-in QSK) by about 6 ms.  Keying compensation or first element
> extension of 6 ms will fix that.
>
> It's easy to accidentally set CONFIG:TX DLY too high.  Also, at speeds
> above 37 WPM in an original K3 without synthesizer upgrade, keying will
> become erratic with excessive jitter if VOX is used instead of a keyer PTT
> output connected to KEY IN.  You can also enable CW QRQ mode to eliminate
> the jitter.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV
>
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 3:28 PM Lou Kolb <loukolb@... wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Joe. Indeed, I would've expected the compensation adjustment
>> to work better for that reason. I don't know why, but increasing the
>> weight by a few notches got me closer to the desirable result. I've
>> tried it with both vox and QsK, and heard only a minimal difference.
>> and yes, I've listened to it on an independent receiver.
>> I'm not dissatisfied with what I have, I just wondered why there
>> should be a need to adjust it in the first place, which is why I
>> posted the question.
>> Suffice it to say, when I got the K3 8 years ago, my CW operating
>> jumped from 50 percent to 75 or so. I still love the rig. Thanks, all,
>> for your help. Lou WA3MIX
>>
>> On 11/9/18, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > Lou,
>> >
>> > Are you using VOX, QSK or PTT between the K42 and the K3/K3S?
>> >
>> > If you are using VOX, "first compensation" is appropriate.
>> > However, if you are using QSK and CONFIG:CW QRQ = OFF, you
>> > may want to adjust "Keying Compensation" (p 12 of the K42
>> > manual) ALT-RIGHT <nn>.
>> >
>> > Keying compensation allows adding a fixed time to each element
>> > and is independent of speed.  As Hank suggested, try starting
>> > with 5 or 6 ms.
>> >
>> > 73,
>> >
>> >     ... Joe, W4TV
>> >
>> >
>> > On 2018-11-09 4:14 PM, Lou Kolb wrote:
>> >> Well, I looked up the keying compensation controls for the K42. I
>> >> tried adjusting first compensation, then weight. I understand why you
>> >> suggested I adjust only the compensation, Hank, but having tried it
>> >> both ways the weight adjustment sounds closer to what it should be, so
>> >> I'll stick with that. I learned long ago to trust my ears and they
>> >> rarely let me down. I wonder if the K3S has this issue. Lou WA3MIX
>> >>
>> >> On 11/9/18, Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
>> >>> Thanks for the manual snipet, Hank but I'm using a screen reader here
>> >>> and they don't do pics. But, I have the manual in text form and will
>> >>> look it up. Thanks. Lou
>> >>>
>> >>> On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
>> >>>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>>> Thanks, Hank for the advice. Just to be clear, I'm adjusting the
>> >>>>> compensation on the keyer, not the K3. Correct?
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Yes. Far as I know, no K3 adjustment for compensation.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Below is from K1EL manual.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> [image: image.png]
>> >>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
>> >>>>>> You don't want to change weight. Instead adjust Keying
>> >>>>>> Compensation.
>> >>>>> Start
>> >>>>>> with 6 ms.
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> CW Exuberantly,
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> Hank, W6SX
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>>> For more than 8 years now, I've been the proud owner of
>> >>>>>>> K3-sn4290.
>> I
>> >>>>>>> use it with an external keyer, the K1EL K42. I do this because I
>> >>>>>>> like
>> >>>>>>> to send from a keyboard, which the K42 accepts. It makes for
>> >>>>>>> pleasant
>> >>>>>>> rag chewing without glass arm syndrome. I connect the K42 to the
>> >>>>>>> K3
>> >>>>>>> via the straight key jack. This works, but the timing of the
>> >>>>>>> elements
>> >>>>>>> has always seemed off. The net effect is that the weight of the
>> >>>>>>> keying
>> >>>>>>> is too light. I know it's the radio and not the keyer, as I've
>> >>>>>>> used
>> >>>>>>> the K42 on other rigs with no problem. I have compensated for it
>> >>>>>>> by
>> >>>>>>> increasing the weight setting on the K42. This gets it pretty
>> >>>>>>> close
>> >>>>>>> but, to my ear, it's still a tiny bit off. Has anyone else
>> >>>>>>> encountered
>> >>>>>>> this issue? Is there any setting I can change on the K3 to fix
>> >>>>>>> it?
>> >>>>>>> Thanks much. Lou WA3MIX
>> >>>>>>>
>> >>>>>>>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>




Re: timing of K3 keying

Lou Kolb
 

Thanks, Bob. Didn't know about that setting and I'll experiment with
it. I should also mention that I do have an upgraded synth board. It
has helped a little, but has not completely solved the problem. Before
I got the new board, I always used QRQ mode, but with the new one,
there's no need. Further, when I use the internal keyer with a paddle,
it sounds great. I only experience the timing problem when running an
external keyer into the straight key jack. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/10/18, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv@...> wrote:
In the K3 CONFIG menu, check TX DLY. Unless you're using a linear
amplifier with slow relays, set it to the minimum value, nor 008. This will
truncate the leading element (semi break-in), or every element (full
break-in QSK) by about 6 ms. Keying compensation or first element
extension of 6 ms will fix that.

It's easy to accidentally set CONFIG:TX DLY too high. Also, at speeds
above 37 WPM in an original K3 without synthesizer upgrade, keying will
become erratic with excessive jitter if VOX is used instead of a keyer PTT
output connected to KEY IN. You can also enable CW QRQ mode to eliminate
the jitter.

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 3:28 PM Lou Kolb <loukolb@... wrote:

Thanks, Joe. Indeed, I would've expected the compensation adjustment
to work better for that reason. I don't know why, but increasing the
weight by a few notches got me closer to the desirable result. I've
tried it with both vox and QsK, and heard only a minimal difference.
and yes, I've listened to it on an independent receiver.
I'm not dissatisfied with what I have, I just wondered why there
should be a need to adjust it in the first place, which is why I
posted the question.
Suffice it to say, when I got the K3 8 years ago, my CW operating
jumped from 50 percent to 75 or so. I still love the rig. Thanks, all,
for your help. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/9/18, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

Lou,

Are you using VOX, QSK or PTT between the K42 and the K3/K3S?

If you are using VOX, "first compensation" is appropriate.
However, if you are using QSK and CONFIG:CW QRQ = OFF, you
may want to adjust "Keying Compensation" (p 12 of the K42
manual) ALT-RIGHT <nn>.

Keying compensation allows adding a fixed time to each element
and is independent of speed. As Hank suggested, try starting
with 5 or 6 ms.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2018-11-09 4:14 PM, Lou Kolb wrote:
Well, I looked up the keying compensation controls for the K42. I
tried adjusting first compensation, then weight. I understand why you
suggested I adjust only the compensation, Hank, but having tried it
both ways the weight adjustment sounds closer to what it should be, so
I'll stick with that. I learned long ago to trust my ears and they
rarely let me down. I wonder if the K3S has this issue. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/9/18, Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
Thanks for the manual snipet, Hank but I'm using a screen reader here
and they don't do pics. But, I have the manual in text form and will
look it up. Thanks. Lou

On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:

Thanks, Hank for the advice. Just to be clear, I'm adjusting the
compensation on the keyer, not the K3. Correct?
Yes. Far as I know, no K3 adjustment for compensation.

Below is from K1EL manual.

[image: image.png]


On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
You don't want to change weight. Instead adjust Keying
Compensation.
Start
with 6 ms.

CW Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:

For more than 8 years now, I've been the proud owner of
K3-sn4290.
I
use it with an external keyer, the K1EL K42. I do this because I
like
to send from a keyboard, which the K42 accepts. It makes for
pleasant
rag chewing without glass arm syndrome. I connect the K42 to the
K3
via the straight key jack. This works, but the timing of the
elements
has always seemed off. The net effect is that the weight of the
keying
is too light. I know it's the radio and not the keyer, as I've
used
the K42 on other rigs with no problem. I have compensated for it
by
increasing the weight setting on the K42. This gets it pretty
close
but, to my ear, it's still a tiny bit off. Has anyone else
encountered
this issue? Is there any setting I can change on the K3 to fix
it?
Thanks much. Lou WA3MIX










Re: K3 no receive no transmit

Mal
 

I forgot to say I have a P3 attached and that was working properly. I could see the signal on the P3 but could only hear noise on the rig.

 

73 de Mal WA2TWA

 

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mal
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:51 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] K3 no receive no transmit

 

I had the volume turned down on my K3 with S upgrade.

When I turned the volume back up I had no receive, just noise. I tried transmit and got no swr reading and 0 power when I hit tune.

I changed the power level and the receive came back on for about 10 seconds then went back to noise. I lifted the front of the rig and dropped it down lightly and everything started working properly. Obviously something is loose. Any suggestions?

73 de Mal WA2TWA

 


K3 no receive no transmit

Mal
 

I had the volume turned down on my K3 with S upgrade.

When I turned the volume back up I had no receive, just noise. I tried transmit and got no swr reading and 0 power when I hit tune.

I changed the power level and the receive came back on for about 10 seconds then went back to noise. I lifted the front of the rig and dropped it down lightly and everything started working properly. Obviously something is loose. Any suggestions?

73 de Mal WA2TWA

 


Re: timing of K3 keying

Bob Wilson, N6TV
 

In the K3 CONFIG menu, check TX DLY.  Unless you're using a linear amplifier with slow relays, set it to the minimum value, nor 008. This will truncate the leading element (semi break-in), or every element (full break-in QSK) by about 6 ms.  Keying compensation or first element extension of 6 ms will fix that.

It's easy to accidentally set CONFIG:TX DLY too high.  Also, at speeds above 37 WPM in an original K3 without synthesizer upgrade, keying will become erratic with excessive jitter if VOX is used instead of a keyer PTT output connected to KEY IN.  You can also enable CW QRQ mode to eliminate the jitter.

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 3:28 PM Lou Kolb <loukolb@... wrote:
Thanks, Joe. Indeed, I would've expected the compensation adjustment
to work better for that reason. I don't know why, but increasing the
weight by a few notches got me closer to the desirable result. I've
tried it with both vox and QsK, and heard only a minimal difference.
and yes, I've listened to it on an independent receiver.
I'm not dissatisfied with what I have, I just wondered why there
should be a need to adjust it in the first place, which is why I
posted the question.
Suffice it to say, when I got the K3 8 years ago, my CW operating
jumped from 50 percent to 75 or so. I still love the rig. Thanks, all,
for your help. Lou WA3MIX

On 11/9/18, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:
>
> Lou,
>
> Are you using VOX, QSK or PTT between the K42 and the K3/K3S?
>
> If you are using VOX, "first compensation" is appropriate.
> However, if you are using QSK and CONFIG:CW QRQ = OFF, you
> may want to adjust "Keying Compensation" (p 12 of the K42
> manual) ALT-RIGHT <nn>.
>
> Keying compensation allows adding a fixed time to each element
> and is independent of speed.  As Hank suggested, try starting
> with 5 or 6 ms.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>
>
> On 2018-11-09 4:14 PM, Lou Kolb wrote:
>> Well, I looked up the keying compensation controls for the K42. I
>> tried adjusting first compensation, then weight. I understand why you
>> suggested I adjust only the compensation, Hank, but having tried it
>> both ways the weight adjustment sounds closer to what it should be, so
>> I'll stick with that. I learned long ago to trust my ears and they
>> rarely let me down. I wonder if the K3S has this issue. Lou WA3MIX
>>
>> On 11/9/18, Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the manual snipet, Hank but I'm using a screen reader here
>>> and they don't do pics. But, I have the manual in text form and will
>>> look it up. Thanks. Lou
>>>
>>> On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
>>>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Thanks, Hank for the advice. Just to be clear, I'm adjusting the
>>>>> compensation on the keyer, not the K3. Correct?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Yes. Far as I know, no K3 adjustment for compensation.
>>>>
>>>> Below is from K1EL manual.
>>>>
>>>> [image: image.png]
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 11/9/18, Hank Garretson <w6sx@...> wrote:
>>>>>> You don't want to change weight. Instead adjust Keying Compensation.
>>>>> Start
>>>>>> with 6 ms.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> CW Exuberantly,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hank, W6SX
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Lou Kolb <loukolb@...> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> For more than 8 years now, I've been the proud owner of K3-sn4290. I
>>>>>>> use it with an external keyer, the K1EL K42. I do this because I
>>>>>>> like
>>>>>>> to send from a keyboard, which the K42 accepts. It makes for
>>>>>>> pleasant
>>>>>>> rag chewing without glass arm syndrome. I connect the K42 to the K3
>>>>>>> via the straight key jack. This works, but the timing of the
>>>>>>> elements
>>>>>>> has always seemed off. The net effect is that the weight of the
>>>>>>> keying
>>>>>>> is too light. I know it's the radio and not the keyer, as I've used
>>>>>>> the K42 on other rigs with no problem. I have compensated for it by
>>>>>>> increasing the weight setting on the K42. This gets it pretty close
>>>>>>> but, to my ear, it's still a tiny bit off. Has anyone else
>>>>>>> encountered
>>>>>>> this issue? Is there any setting I can change on the K3 to fix it?
>>>>>>> Thanks much. Lou WA3MIX
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>
>
>
>
>
>