Re: Heil Proset

Christopher Scibelli

Joe: Thanks for all your help and everybody else that chimed in. I realized on my own it was highly counterintuitive to add lows when I'm actually looking to design a setting for DX pileups. I have a nice setting for rag chewing so I'll be able to switch between the two.

I went to the TX equalizer and dropped the first 3 audio freqs down about 10 db, left the next 2 alone, and boosted the last 3 higher frequencies up 10 db. I've tried the settings on the long path to VK and KH6 and via the short path to ZS, but when the band was closing, and I got nice reports. It seems the real important thing is not to crank the compression up too high because I can hear myself in the monitor and it sounds like I'm in a tin can. That is also when I've had some bad reports but I've learned not to go crazy with it from experience. I will keep experimenting and even wire up my Icom SM-8 and the D-104 which does have a preamp.

This is a nice group. My question was answered and the volume is nowhere near as great as the K3 reflector.

73

Chris NU1O

--- In Elecraft_K3@..., "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

> The round thing near the boom says (iC).

Then you have the Proset K2/K3 (also known as Heil Proset iC)
which was originally designed for Icom transceivers.

> Did I purchase the wrong microphone? I am mainly a DXer.

No, although like any electret mic the iC has more lows and
fewer highs than either of the dynamic elements.

I was in in QSO with a bunch of Elecraft users last week and
> one of the guys was looking at my signal on a monitor. He said
> there were no lows, so I boosted them up with the TX equalizer
> and I have been getting unsolicited audio reports which I'm
> very pleased with.

I would never boost lows based on an off air report. Any
electret mic has more than enough lows for communications
particularly when installed as a headset boom with the mic
element within an inch or so of the lips.

I was going to wire it up for the K3 but it sounds like
> these are the same microphone elements.

The elements are similar but there is certainly a difference
between the purpose of a headset vs. desk mic.

> I have one other mike, a D-104 but I don't think it's
> designed for a new rig like the K3.

D-104 works fine with the K3. If it does not have the
OEM "preamp" a simple FET buffer does a fine job as an
impedance converter.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 12/6/2010 1:48 AM, admiral1789 wrote:

Hi Joe:

I bought the Proset as an option directly from Elecraft when I
bought
my K3 and all the options. The round thing near the boom says (iC). I
also have to use bias according to the directions that came with the
microphone. I think it's safe to assume this is an Icom, and neither the
Heil 4 or 5. Did I purchase the wrong microphone? I am mainly a DXer. I
was in in QSO with a bunch of Elecraft users last week and one of the
guys was looking at my signal on a monitor. He said there were no lows,
so I boosted them up with the TX equalizer and I have been getting
unsolicited audio reports which I'm very pleased with. One other
question, if you don't mind. I have an Icom SM-8 microphone. I was going
to wire it up for the K3 but it sounds like these are the same
microphone elements. Am I correct in assuming this? I have one other
mike, a D-104 but I don't think it's designed for a new rig like the K3.

73

NU1O Chris

--- In Elecraft_K3@..., "Joe Subich, W4TV"<lists@> wrote:

> I bought the Heil Proset for my microphone with the K3.

Did you buy the "Elecraft" version from Elecraft or did you
buy a ProSet from another vendor?

Put another way, do you have bias turned on in your K3 or
are you using no bias?

If you need bias voltage, the ProSet has the iC (Icom)
electret element which is generally has a wide range
(broad/flat) audio response. If your ProSet does not need
bias, look at the "cup" where the mic attaches to the earpiece
the element will be marked there. HC-4 is the sharply peaked
"DX" element while the HC-5 has a little flatter response but
is still designed for articulation (some boost above 1500 Hz).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 12/5/2010 3:14 AM, admiral1789 wrote:
Hi:

I bought the Heil Proset for my microphone with the K3. The guys I have have been talking with have asked what the cartridge is but it does not specify. Does anybody know what Heil cartridge is installed with the standard Proset? Been getting fantastic audio reports. The less compression, or none at all, seem to produce the best audio reports. I do use compression when I need to break through a pileup but can hear the difference in my monitor. Less compression is better sounding.

Thanks

NU1O Chris