From: Alan Bloom To: Elecraft_K3@...
Sent: Wed, November 17, 2010 10:29:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] P3 Signal presentation on the screen

The concept of rise and fall time does not really apply to a device like
the P3 that uses an FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) to generate the
frequency spectrum.

In a traditional analog swept-frequency spectrum analyzer, there is a
separate "resolution bandwidth" filter at the IF and a "video" filter
that is after the detector. The video filter could have different rise
and fall times, depending on its design.

The resolution bandwidth determines the minimum distance between two
signals that can be resolved on the display. In the P3 the effective
resolution bandwidth is basically one display pixel (span / 450),
bottoming out at about 7 or 8 Hz at the narrowest spans. There is no
separate video filter.

Alan N1AL