Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: Rig ergonomics and performance comparison

Rick <mrfarm@...>

Bill,

You may have missed the point I was making with the ICOM 756 Pro Series having a built-in spectrum scope ...

"The Pro Series may be preferred by some for the ergonomics and of course nothing can thus far touch the spectrum display for one built-in to the rig."

Not even Ten Tec's much more expensive rig has a spectrum scope that can perform at the level of the Pro Series. The K2 of course does not even have such a feature at all.

There is nothing wrong with add-on devices or modifications, but that is not something many hams will be doing. We are now seeing some manufacturers attempting to compete although the price point is fairly high at $1000 or so for a factory add-on, plus the monitor.

But even with outboard scopes, I wonder how much better it would be. If you have used a Pro series for a while, you surely know how impressive it is. When I first bought the rig, I really was not particularly interested in that feature and figured it was just a "frill" that is nice to have but not all that necessary. But after having it for a few years, I have to say that I have completely changed my mind on this and consider it to be an important feature for a number of ham applications.

When you have compared the K3 (with the set up you mentioned) to the Pro Series Spectrum Scope, what improvements are you noticing?

73,

Rick, KV9U

bill_w4zv wrote:

--- In Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com, Rick <mrfarm@...> wrote:

My rig preferences <SNIP> and excellent spectrum display. The K3 is not going to be able to compete with that last item
Oh yes it will. With its wideband buffered 8.125 MHz IF output, a $15
Softrock kit, free Rocky software, a 1 GHz Pentium PC and a decent
sound card, the display will run circles around the Pro2/3 band scope.

http://www.dxatlas.com/rocky/

73, Bill