--- On Tue, 6/29/10, Dwayne L wrote:

From: Dwayne L Subject: [Elecraft_K3] Making a tough decision
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 3:52 PM

Hello,

I have equipped my fireproof underthingies and made sure my skin has reached the proper thickness to ask this.

I am in search of my first HF rig. I've been a ham for quite some time, and most of my operation has been in the VHF realm (mostly digital). After a big break, I picked up the hobby again and upgraded my license.

Is a mild optioned K3 a bit ridiculous for a first rig? I was hoping to find something that I could get, and just keep for the long haul. I considered the losses involved in working my way up the food chain, getting something, using it for a few years and selling it to get a bigger and better rig. It all seemed to even out... That and coupled with the risk of getting burned by a turkey.

Anyways, I'd love to hear some objecive opinions.