Re: [Elecraft_K3] Making a tough decision

Mel Farrer <farrerfolks@...>

Hi Dwayne,

First off, getting the K3 is a learning experience along with the operating pleasure of using something that you built with your own hands.  The wonderful thing is that with all of the options available you can, at your own pace, upgrade things of future interest.  While the K3 is the latest of the K series from Elecraft, none of the predecessors are obsolete.  Nice sound isn't it? 

I have been in the ham community for over 53 years and have had my share of bottom drawer equipment and have upgraded, as time went on, up the ladder of performance and technology to the current equipment in the shack, which has as the centerpiece a K3.  I have an excellent ICOM 756 PRO and bought it when they first came out.  It is now second string in the operation.

Take your time and look at the features of the K3 and do your comparison shopping.  "IF", you like the thought of rolling your own or having one built exactly as you would like to have it.  You will be on a VERY short list with the K3 in the top spot, of course that is just my humble opinion, hi.  Enjoy the ride, from the K3 position, the view is beyond imagination.

73's,

Mel, K6KBE

--- On Tue, 6/29/10, Dwayne L wrote:

From: Dwayne L Subject: [Elecraft_K3] Making a tough decision
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 3:52 PM

Hello,

I have equipped my fireproof underthingies and made sure my skin has reached the proper thickness to ask this.

I am in search of my first HF rig. I've been a ham for quite some time, and most of my operation has been in the VHF realm (mostly digital). After a big break, I picked up the hobby again and upgraded my license.

Is a mild optioned K3 a bit ridiculous for a first rig? I was hoping to find something that I could get, and just keep for the long haul. I considered the losses involved in working my way up the food chain, getting something, using it for a few years and selling it to get a bigger and better rig. It all seemed to even out... That and coupled with the risk of getting burned by a turkey.

Anyways, I'd love to hear some objecive opinions.

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.