Re: New to Group

rkayakr

David

Congrats on joining amateur radio. I'm sure you will get lots of
answers to your questions, particularly if you go to a local amateur
club meeting. I'll give you my opinions - there're free

I ordered 1 additional 500 Hz filter with my K3. So far I haven't felt
the need for more. I do mainly CW, SSB and digital modes. If you want
to do AM or FM you will need additional filters. Don't sweat about
filters, they are easy to add a any time and there is no price break
for ordering them with the K3.

Antenna Tuner
Do you need a tuner? If so thee are pros and cons for the internal tuner:

pro - well integrated physically and has seemless control

con - more expensive, not remote, not useful if you have or expect to
have an amplifier

I have an amplifier so I use an external tuner

Other options - what do you want to do?

Unlike the K2, the base K3 does an excellent job without much extra. I
think the only tricky issue is if you want to use an external receive
antenna. There are multiple options that are detailed on the Elecraft
website.

Bob
KD8CGH
KX1, K2, K3