Re: Damaged K3S

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I find it strange that the failed diode is purportedly rated at 1.5Kw.     I never knew diodes were rated that way.

Also, I agree with Dan, W3DKA, regarding charging the battery.  In other words, was a charger connected to the battery at the time of the incident?

Personally, I would not do or make any further attempts for repair, having made the decision to send it to Elecraft.  I've encountered too many attempts where the user tried to repair the radio and I ended up having to repair the repairs.    This was the case of an Orion II where I found traces were lifted, through hole plating was damaged.  In the end, the biggest issue and cause of the radio not working was an IC that was changed and installed backward.   It took over 12 hrs to find and repair the radio.  More labor than the radio was worth.