Re: Noise Level K3S Higher with Preamp Off using LoG Antenna

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I find preamp usage to be most effective on 15M, 12M 10M, and 6M.  In other bands, the preamp is more of a hindrance than a help.  I use PRE 1 on 15M, 12M, 10M, and PRE 2 on 6M.    There is another factor which is Noise Figure that must be understood pertaining to preamps.

I've had discussions and read the works of Rob Sherwood pertaining to receiver gain,  Attenuator, and Preamp usage.  He has a nice piece of written and published work pertaining to "Optimize Receiver Performance".   In summary, one can have too much gain for certain band conditions.