Re: USB rig control

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-06-13 7:07 PM, W2XJ wrote:
There is no carrier in the ATSC signal, just a low level pilot.
I said, "Analog UHF TV" ... in case you have forgotten analog TV
that is NTSC (not ATSC) and was vestigial sideband *with carrier*.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-13 7:07 PM, W2XJ wrote:
There is no carrier in the ATSC signal, just a low level pilot.

On June 13, 2021 6:30 PM Colin Smithers <colin@crsmithers.com> wrote:

It can only re-appear if carrier is present for the wanted sideband to mix with in the non-linear amplifier.

In an SSB transmitter with good carrier suppression it is not possible to regenerate the unwanted sideband through poor IMD in the final stages. In my experience the K3 has negligible carrier content. Given that, It would require an inappropriate TX filter or TX filter adjustment for the unwanted sideband to truly be present.

I think in TV transmitters there is still carrier present.

73, Colin G4CWH

On 2021-06-13 4:45 PM, Lou W7HV via groups.io wrote:
I am not a well known engineer and certainly not a respected engineer.  It is my understanding that normal superhets produce SSB by mixing audio with the LO up to the IF where the unwanted sideband is stripped off by the same xtal filters used for RX.  This is fixed and doesn't change with TX band or frequency because mixing to the TX frequency occurs after that.  Subsequent distortion in the rig or external amplifier can broaden that signal but can't create and add back the opposite side band.  So, based on that, I would think if someone is hearing the opposite sideband, there's a problem with the rig unrelated to being used outside the ham bands.

Direct conversion rigs are another matter.

Perhaps a well known and respected engineer will weight in.