Re: USB rig control

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-06-13 4:45 PM, Lou W7HV via groups.io wrote:
Subsequent distortion in the rig or external amplifier can broaden that signal but can't create and add back the opposite side band.
Au contraire! IMD in amplifier stages *will* regenerate the missing
sideband. I saw with my own eyes (spectrum analyzer) in the days of
analog UHF TV ... in "high efficiency" Klystrode/IOT amplifiers. It
was necessary to do significant precorrection (early "Pure Signal")
to prevent the lower sideband from exceeding the "spectral mask"
requirements for protecting the next lower channel.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-06-13 4:45 PM, Lou W7HV via groups.io wrote:
I am not a well known engineer and certainly not a respected engineer.  It is my understanding that normal superhets produce SSB by mixing audio with the LO up to the IF where the unwanted sideband is stripped off by the same xtal filters used for RX.  This is fixed and doesn't change with TX band or frequency because mixing to the TX frequency occurs after that.  Subsequent distortion in the rig or external amplifier can broaden that signal but can't create and add back the opposite side band.  So, based on that, I would think if someone is hearing the opposite sideband, there's a problem with the rig unrelated to being used outside the ham bands.
Direct conversion rigs are another matter.
Perhaps a well known and respected engineer will weight in.