Re: K3 and end fed wire

Mel Farrer, K6KBE

Jim, you and I have had this discussion several times, I prefer an antenna that does not need a ground counterpoise and a tuner for most bands, sorry.  END.

Mel, K6KBE

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 3:34 PM Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:
On 5/18/2021 1:42 PM, K9MA wrote:
> I know they're not popular, but I recommend an external tuner located at
> the end of the wire. The only exception might be if the coax is short
> and the wire is NOT a multiple of a half wave. I

Um, he said he was running a few feet of coax.

I don't see the need for coax unless it is used to insert a common mode
choke, but I DO see the STRONG need for a counterpoise. That can be
anything from radials to one or more wires placed where you can. In
general, more and longer is better. They should be connected to the
radio's chassis.

BTW -- this is antenna fundamentals, has NOTHING to do with the radio,
except that a tuner may be required to match it.

A convenient way to do this is with a BNC to Pomona adapter -- that is,
BNC to a red/black pair of female bananas jacks. Pomona part #1296.
Google "pomona 1296" to see a photo.

73, Jim K9YC