Re: K3S Power Down

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 3/2/2021 12:16 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
I know that you can shut off the K3 through the serial port using the "PS0" command, but in my case, that's not a viable option.
Why not? It's very simple programming for the Arduino.

Route your incoming CAT stream to the serial input of the Arduino and
echo it to the serial output/K3 input (and echo the serial data from
the K3 back to the network/remote). When the timeout timer times
out, have it trigger a GPIO on the Arduino which causes the processor
to stop echoing CAT input, send "PS0;" and wait for the next "power
on" command.

You could even designed it to monitor the CAT input stream looking
for "PS1;" to pulse pin 8 and turn the K3/K3S on.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-03-02 3:28 PM, Rick NK7I wrote:
From the programming manual:
PS (Transceiver Power Status; GET/SET)
SET/RSP format: PSn; where n = 1 indicates transceiver on. Note: PS0 turns the transceiver off, but this removes
power, so PS1 cannot be used to turn it on. To turn power on, the K3’s POWER_ON line (aux I/O jack) must be
pulled low by an external device, or it can be turned on manually using the power switch.
Pin 8 is power on, only (<50 ms required).
So causing the Arduino to send the CAT command at the proper time is your only graceful solution to power down.
73,
Rick NK7I
On 3/2/2021 12:16 PM, Michael Foerster wrote:
I have a K3s that I use with an Arduino to allow me to run remotely using RemoteHams.com.
  The Arduino pulls the Pin 8 of the 15 pin connector.  There is also a timeout timer so that if case I loose comms with it when I'm remote, I know that it will shut off the rig by turning off the AC/Power Supply after so many hours.

Problem is, when it does shut off by dropping the 13.8 VDC, it can corrupt the memory in the K3s, it's happened several times.

Is there any other way that the Arduino can shut off the K3s (toggle the pin 8 again???).
   I know that you can shut off the K3 through the serial port using the "PS0" command, but in my case, that's not a viable option.

Any other way to SAFELY turn off the K3?

Mike, W0IH