Re: 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter broke off in paddle jack

Chris Cox, N0UK

Quick update only broken plug problem.

The suggestion use a tap to remove the broken plug tip helped a little. It removed the plug ring and ring insulator, however, the tip of the plugs still trapped in the 1/4” (6.3mm) socket. What’s more, now the ring contact of the socket has sprung back open by a millimetre or two and is not very effectively blocking the extraction of the broken tip.

Word of caution:don’t buy 6.3to 3.5mm adapters from Amazon!

So even if I cannot a tool to engage with the tip, I think rather unlikely that I will also be able to get a second tool into the opening to then depress the ring contact out of the way.

Probably the easiest (note - didn’t say EASY!) option now is going to be to replace the actual paddle socket on the RF board.

In the meantime, at least the standard key jack is still functional and so I can use an external keyer or straight key to send.

Oh, what a palaver!

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 27, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Chris Cox, N0UK <chrisc@chris.org> wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion, Jim.

Chris Cox, N0UK
chrisc@chris.org

On Feb 26, 2021, at 11:31 PM, Jim Shepherd <nvjims@gmail.com> wrote:

You can use a small screw tap like a 1-64 or 2-56 to carefully insert into the hole in the center of the broken off pin and gently turn it until it catches and you can gently pull out the pin. Used this to pull out broken jacks from speaker-mics on handhelds.
73
Jim W6US