K3S Crystal Filtering

Bob Novas

After hearing Eric talk about the K4 filtering (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoMoJddbFyI&t=1221s) and the phase shift problems with narrow crystal filters, I wondered if you could run the K3S with wide crystal filters and narrow DSP filters at times when you don’t need tight roofing filtering.  And, if you did that, would that improve the situation with respect to muddy audio when listening to highly filtered speech.

Specifically, I’ve got 13, 2.8, 2.1, 1.0 and 0.45 kHz crystal filters plugged in, configured to be used automatically. Would I be better off using the 13kHz crystal roofing filter for listening to SSB, and restricting the bandwidth to 2.8 or whatever using the DSP filters for situations where I don’t need a tighter roofing filter? Would it be possible to then manually switch in a tighter roofing filter without having to reconfigure the K3S?

Bob – W3DK