Re: MIC bias settings

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Easy way.......start with the BIAS OFF.

(a)   If it works as expected then it is most likely dynamic.

(b)  If it doesn't work, then most likely it is Electrect and thus does require bias.

(c)  Or something is defective.

On 2/3/2021 9:45 AM, Mike Kopacki wrote:
I have no idea if this Heil headset has an electret or dynamic mic. Is there a way to determine that?  I don’t want to take a chance of messing up the rig. Maybe it would show up when using the MONITOR function to listen to see how I sound?

Thanks,
Mike NJ2OM

On Feb 3, 2021, at 10:07 AM, Everett N4CY via groups.io <everettsharp@...> wrote:

 You can go into configure and turn the mic bias on, or off..

Everett N4CY

Sent from the all new Aol app for iOS

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 9:00 AM, RON - WA2EIO <wa2eio@...> wrote:

I think that Elecraft sends the bias voltage on the mic's audio line, so if a dynamic mic is used, then it will have voltage applied to it, which is NOT good for it!

Some rigs have a separate bias voltage line on their multi-pin mic connector to supply bias to those mics that need it; those that don't will not have any connection to that pin on the connector.

Ron    WA2EIO