Re: RS232 Splitter

Joe Subich, W4TV

“ 6) In WSJTX select File -> Settings -> Audio and set
Output to the Speaker endpoint of the sound card to
which you have connected the the K3 Line In”

I don’t know how to interpret that statement. I read the words but I
don’t understand them. Shows how little I know about computers.
I'm flabbergasted ... that statement is about as straight forward as
it can be. Perhaps the pictures on page 2 of this document will
help: <http://www.microham.com/Downloads/U3_WSJT-X_Setup.pdf>

DOES MY COMPUTER HAVE MORE THAN ONE SOUND CARD?
Probably not.

Are you suggesting I should buy an outboard sound card.
*ABSOLUTELY* Without it you will be just another of those *illegally*
(if you are licensed in the Unites States) transmitting Windows
"noises", streaming audio and other garbage on the digital windows -
particularly if you are using VOX to control your transceiver.

Using a single (Windows Default) sound card with VOX leaves your
transmitter out of your control.

I wish K1JT et al would program WSJTX so it would refuse to generate
audio on the sound card designated as either the "Default" Sound Card or
"Default Communications Device". That would go a long way to cleaning
up the bands.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-11-30 11:28 AM, Bob Chortek wrote:
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.
I’m lost.  What does this mean:
“ 6) In WSJTX select File -> Settings -> Audio and set
Output to the Speaker endpoint of the sound card to
which you have connected the the K3 Line In”
I don’t know how to interpret that statement. I read the words but I don’t understand them.  Shows how little I know about computers.
(Please use a second sound card - not the sound card
used for Windows sounds, streaming audio, etc.)
DOES MY COMPUTER HAVE MORE THAN ONE SOUND CARD? Are you suggesting I should buy an outboard sound card. I can do that but I’d still like to get my K3 running on the sound card in my computer.
“7) In Windows, right click on the speaker Icon and select
Open Volume Mixer. Under Device, select Speakers for
the sound card to which you have connected the K3 Line IN
and set the level to 75-80%”
Again, do I have more than one sound card in my computer?  How would I tell?
No matter what I do, the K3 will not go into TX.
VOX set to 100, Antivox to 0, all other suggestions followed to the best of my ability but it seems no audio is getting from the computer to the K3 to put it into TX.
Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated!
Bob AA6VB