From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of KE1F Lou
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2020 10:53 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S parts availability???

I had my K3 fully upgraded and Elecraft returned the original board with my K3. Now I have my "spare parts" inventory.

My question is to find out which other boards should I have in my K3 inventory to round out my spare stock? Your suggestion would be appreciated. Elecraft?

73, Lou KE1F

PS: Components used to be available for 10 or more years because these components were used by several manufacturers in new and old products such as 0.01uF capacitor. Today we are talking about sub-assemblies, contain hundreds of components and used by 1 manufacturer.

On 11/6/2020 10:29 AM, Michael Mickelson wrote:

It is heartening to see that Elecraft is researching what parts might be in demand for the K3 and K3S.  I purchased my K3,P3, KPA500 and KAT500  about 10 years ago.  It goes without saying it is the best radio I have ever had, not that I have any experience with some of the high end radios made by the big three.  I know that there is anxiety over the ability to continue to repair and replace vital parts for these Elecraft radios.  But I wonder how long Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, etc repair and provide spare parts for their legacy radios? It is not surprising that Elecraft has to decide to end support at some level.  I perhaps have one more radio upgrade in my future...maybe a K4.

de Mike KD8DZ

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 9:30 AM Mark Morin <mark@...> wrote:

Fred, I agree with you that it’s disappointing from a company that enjoys such a stellar reputation for support to discontinue their flagship product without adequate parts in inventory to provide continued support for the product.

I understand that building parts inventory for a discontinued product isn’t the most efficient way to run a business in the short term, but it’s the RIGHT way for long-term success and sustaining customer good will.

I used to work for a large radio manufacturer whose policy it was to maintain a supply of spare parts fo a minimum of 10 years after the cancellation of a product. That usually meant a final production run for spare parts, which the accountants might have thought wasteful but more enlightened management saw as a vital long term investment.

this survey to see which parts have sufficient demand for a production run seems like a penny-punching approach. I had hoped for better when I chose Elecraft for my station equipment.

Mark VA2MM

--

Michael Mickelson

J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus

Denison University

740-587-0687 H

740-644-1238 M