Re: K3S parts availability???

Mel Farrer, K6KBE <farrermesa@...>

Gerard,

Sorry for your loss.  In my experience as a Ham manufacturer in years past, we kept spare parts and subassemblies for years and always gave the buyer the parts list, schematics etc.  The real problem now is that so much of the manufacturing process is outsourced on all of the components.  As such, much continuity of replacement ability hinges on the outsourced providers.  While convenient to the pendler, it is not reliable down stream, been there done that.  On the short term, and I mean short, the manufacturers provide support, but don't hold your breath as to how long it lasts.

The only real proper answer is a service manual with all of the root components listed along with the manufacturer,  I mean down to the SMT parts.  This means a source for all of the proprietary parts also.  AND, source code to prepare them.  Now, that does not mean you can repair it yourself unless you have the training, but it does come close.  Very few manufactures of the modern generation will spend the funds to provide it.

The "now generation" is "sell and discard" rather than repair the consumer products.  I don't like it but it is the way it is.  I have to say that I have some Ham gear that is over 60 years old with through hole construction that I can and have repaired. The modern array is out of that mode.   They want you to use it until it breaks then move on.

So when you get ready to dump $$$$$$ on new gear weigh the cost against replacement. The reality is it is not going to change.  Sorry, but these are my thoughts.

Respectfully,

Mel, K6KBE

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 1:31 PM Gerard <scanneg@...> wrote:
Ive.looked after a mother with Alzheimers 12 yrs a wife with cancer 3 yrs.  The only outlet I've had is Ham Radio.   They both died this last 15 months.   I spent good money on what I thought was the best.  I fell screwed.  That is my opinion and fuck everyone else.

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 21:53 Gerard via groups.io, <scanneg=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'd buy 2 x FT5000 at 200W A class in the morning at half the price!

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 21:49 Gerard via groups.io, <scanneg=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I bough a K3, a KPA500 and a K3/0  direct from Elecrsft.  I've received not one notification of part upgrades or recalls.  I think that is amazing when you read all the defects that are our there.  I bought a K3S from another ham and the USB port failed within a few days
..
On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 17:50 Gerard, <scanneg@...> wrote:
I'd dump the whole shit in the morning and go Yaesu.  Bloodsuckers.

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 17:44 Gerard via groups.io, <scanneg=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a K3, a K3s, two P3s.  You think these cowboys shud be allowed to walk away for support in light of profit.  Stinks like Trump!

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 17:35 Gerard via groups.io, <scanneg=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think Elecraft are really cheeky what I would call abandoning their last product to profit on the next.  I think it is bordering on bullying and not business like to dismiss a recent previous product, like the K3s.
What a croc of shit!

On Fri 6 Nov 2020, 16:53 KE1F Lou, <lmecseri@...> wrote:

I had my K3 fully upgraded and Elecraft returned the original board with my K3. Now I have my "spare parts" inventory.

My question is to find out which other boards should I have in my K3 inventory to round out my spare stock? Your suggestion would be appreciated. Elecraft?

73, Lou KE1F

PS: Components used to be available for 10 or more years because these components were used by several manufacturers in new and old products such as 0.01uF capacitor. Today we are talking about sub-assemblies, contain hundreds of components and used by 1 manufacturer.

On 11/6/2020 10:29 AM, Michael Mickelson wrote:
It is heartening to see that Elecraft is researching what parts might be in demand for the K3 and K3S.  I purchased my K3,P3, KPA500 and KAT500  about 10 years ago.  It goes without saying it is the best radio I have ever had, not that I have any experience with some of the high end radios made by the big three.  I know that there is anxiety over the ability to continue to repair and replace vital parts for these Elecraft radios.  But I wonder how long Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, etc repair and provide spare parts for their legacy radios? It is not surprising that Elecraft has to decide to end support at some level.  I perhaps have one more radio upgrade in my future...maybe a K4.

de Mike KD8DZ

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 9:30 AM Mark Morin <mark@...> wrote:
Fred, I agree with you that it’s disappointing from a company that enjoys such a stellar reputation for support to discontinue their flagship product without adequate parts in inventory to provide continued support for the product.

I understand that building parts inventory for a discontinued product isn’t the most efficient way to run a business in the short term, but it’s the RIGHT way for long-term success and sustaining customer good will.

I used to work for a large radio manufacturer whose policy it was to maintain a supply of spare parts fo a minimum of 10 years after the cancellation of a product. That usually meant a final production run for spare parts, which the accountants might have thought wasteful but more enlightened management saw as a vital long term investment.

this survey to see which parts have sufficient demand for a production run seems like a penny-punching approach. I had hoped for better when I chose Elecraft for my station equipment.

Mark VA2MM

--
Michael Mickelson
J. Reid Anderson Professor of Physics and Astronomy, emeritus